Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano sunroof leak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently purchased a used 2015 MS 70D with 60K miles. The car is longer under warranty. Washed the car this morning with it being parked nose down on an incline driveway. Got back into the car a bit later & noticed headliner stain on the "A" post, pic attached. Is it a possible leak in the pano sunroof seal? Any suggestion on how to fix this?

Thanks.
Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 2.44.53 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 2.44.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 2.44.53 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 403
First check that the two drain holes are not plugged. Open the sunroof, at the front left and right you should see two holes; pour a glass of water into those to make sure they drain (service techs blow them out with compressed air).

If the drain holes are not plugged then I would guess a new sunroof seal is in order.

Just poured a bottle of water down the driver side front drain hole. Seems to be draining well. Don't really want due to out of warranty but will have to schedule for SC to look at for a possible fix. Surprised there's not a DIY fix on YouTube video anywhere. Was able to fix two of my door handles myself after watching videos on YouTube. Oh well...

My 2015 85D had the same issue. Ranger replaced the sliding glass and the problem was gone.
There is apparently a new revision of the glass that resolves this issue.

New glass? wow. you think it would be cheaper to redesign a new seal. When my seal started to lift and look like it would soon leak I had them replace it. The replacement then leaked! They then replaced the replacement and this one seems to be fine. Personally I think the one the mobile unit first installed had been folded up and tied for a while in the service van and it probably distorted.

have a similar issue on my 2014, but above the passenger visor. not the first time.

i love the huge pano roof - i open it all the time... but i've been to the service center several times due to it leaking, rattling, not working... i hope the new ones are better. not sure i would get one again.

Same issue here with my 2015 85D - leaking on the passenger side, above the visor and on both side columns. Taken it in to the SC three times for 'fix' and finally the last time they adjusted the closure settings/pressure for the pano roof. This seems to have done the trick, but also don't think I have had any real hard rains yet since then (this is/was the biggest culprit of the leaks on mine). I'm still under CPO warranty, so I was ok with taking it back several times - and they also steam cleaned the headliner for me where there were water spots.

Following up. I had the car pointed nose down on an incline (driveway) and it was leaking again after being out in the rain. The leak is always on the front passenger side above the visor.

I got it in the garage and opened up the sunroof and there is water pooling in the gasket shown in the picture. I can't figure out how it is getting into this part though since further back that part of the seal is open and the glass covers it completely. Any ideas?

IMG_7945.jpeg

Following up. I had the car pointed nose down on an incline (driveway) and it was leaking again after being out in the rain. The leak is always on the front passenger side above the visor.

I got it in the garage and opened up the sunroof and there is water pooling in the gasket shown in the picture. I can't figure out how it is getting into this part though since further back that part of the seal is open and the glass covers it completely. Any ideas?

View attachment 815001
First step is to ensure the drain holes are working, and not blocked with crud. Pour some water in the front corner where the hole is and make sure it drains out.

If that is not the problem then maybe it needs a new seal or adjustment etc.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
No problems with mine, it was garage kept and I keep it in the shade or covered.
I've noticed that when the sun does hit my car it heats up quick, even though it's silver, the majority of the car is black or clear on top. Not good for the rubber.

View attachment 815001
Weird, I parked on a hill nose downhill and had the same issue. I dont understand how water can get into that middle part and there is no way for it to drain into the corner drain holes. Did you ever find the cause and solution?

I dont understand how water can get into that middle part and there is no way for it to drain into the corner drain holes. Did you ever find the cause and solution?
Is the rear edge of the sunroof to high? Or the seal in this section have cracks? Or something else? If you are on incline and the water can enter the seals at the rear edge then it might be the situation that there is no escape at the front edge…

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Figured it out. Water is entering from the rear of the sunroof and travels along this frame piece that the glass is attached to. It’s hard to get a clear shot of it but if you open your sunroof and look at the rear glass you will see it.
IMG_1991.jpeg

The most obvious solution is to have the sunroof tightened so there is less chance of water entering through the rear.

Figured it out. Water is entering from the rear of the sunroof and travels along this frame piece that the glass is attached to. It’s hard to get a clear shot of it but if you open your sunroof and look at the rear glass you will see it.
View attachment 989709

The most obvious solution is to have the sunroof tightened so there is less chance of water entering through the rear.
Are you sure all 4 drain holes are open?