Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof and D question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a lease for 60 with autopilot and executive seats. My question is with the pano roof.

Does anyone regret getting it? How about with a newborn? I'm wondering if it's too bright for a young child.
Also important is road noise. Is it louder with the pano roof?

I'm in a warm climate and don't think it's worth the extra $80/month for the D. It looks like I would lose on .3 in 0-60 and 8 miles in range. Is there anything I'm missing or should consider? Thanks!
The pano is not too bright, it is heavily tinted. Go sit in both and I think you'll find the pano makes the interior feel much larger than the solid roof.

The D is faster and more efficient, though only marginally so and probably not worth extra $5,000. The $5,000 would be better spent upgrading to the 75, you'll appreciate the range more than the all wheel drive.

I love the pano roof - the car interior feels much more open with it, and also IMO the dark glass roof makes the car look nicer from outside too, compared to the body colored roof. More headroom for rear seat passengers too with the pano roof due to the sloping roofline. I don't notice any problem with noise.

I don't live in a hot climate, however each of my last 3 cars had moonroofs and even here I always got too hot from the sun shining thorough and therefore kept the sunshades closed 100% of the time, all year round. But with the Model S pano roof, the heavy tint really does a good job keeping excess heat out. I was worried about it prior to purchase, but absolutely no regrets getting the pano roof for my 70D.

I'm a big AWD fan myself but I won't try to talk you into it if you don't need it. If you don't go for the D, aside from saving some money, remember you'll also get quite a bit more room in the frunk so that's another positive for RWD.

I've owned 2 Model S . . . 2014 RWD without Pano and 2015 AWD with Pano. The AWD is a significant improvement to the RWD, especially during hard acceleration; the rear end has spun out on me several times before on my RWD Model especially on wet pavement. To me, the AWD is a must have.

The Pano does allow some heat to penetrate . . . don't believe all those posts about not feeling any heat. I had to buy the Pano Sunshades Tesla — Model S Panoramic Roof Sunshades which helped block some of the excess heat. I could easily skip the pano, but I still would get the Pano roof because my kids love it. Don't realize much difference in wind noise compared to the body roof.

I was recently in for service due to a crack that developed on the rear panel of panoramic roof. The crack originated on the posterior portion of the glass, midway. The crack in the rear panoramic sunroof was a result I was told of something that became lodged underneath the glass and caused pressure on the glass from the inside out. This could be from a pebble or small branch. Clearly this is a fault with the engineering of the product. Every other car that I have owned that had a lift gate mechanism, there was some form of felt or rubber in the gap in between. Here we have a very pronounceable 0.25 inch gap that would allow anything to get in. How is then this crack, which the installer told me that was due to something getting underneath the glass, a fault of mine and not the design of the vehicle.
Personally, I believe that this gap between the rear glass and hatchback needs to have a rubber filler or piece of felt filler. Leaving this gap allows for anything to slip in, as the glass repair man at your service center explained, which would then allow for pressure to build up underneath and cause the crack.

Pano roof -

1. Glass can break (but easier to fix than a solid roof getting a dent)
2. Noise is higher (but not a big deal, since the car is quiet anyway)
3. No it is not bright. Baby will love looking out the glass, I know I do :)
4. Gives you more headroom, really opens the car up.
5. Lets you put that rack on the roof.
6. Spend a $100 after you get the car, and put SuntekCXP80 tint on it without the tint it blocks some heat, with tint almost no heat. DON'T waste your money on sunshades that Tesla sells. They cost $200 and look crappy. Instead get CXP80 or 3MCeramic tint on the pano. It doesn't make it any darker, but really cuts down on the heat. What's more, tint will be cheaper :-D
7. Could develop creaks/leaks/etc.
8. Looks hella cool.

There is no bad Tesla. Get what you like! Although I'd say, get the D, it's worth it.

One other benefit of the Pano roof is that anything that lands on the roof is much less likely to etch a permanent spot than it would on a painted surface. You see lots of cars that have water spots, bug, or bird dropping spots on the roof, but those things won't affect the glass at all. I've been really glad that I got the Pano roof for this reason as well as the other benefits previously mentioned.

Also, for me the D is definitely worth it due to the increased range and acceleration. I'm thinking that since it has two motors, that there may actually be less stress on the individual drive units over time then there would be on a model with only RWD, resulting in increased lifetime for the vehicle.