Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof and D question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a lease for 60 with autopilot and executive seats. My question is with the pano roof.

Does anyone regret getting it? How about with a newborn? I'm wondering if it's too bright for a young child.
Also important is road noise. Is it louder with the pano roof?

I'm in a warm climate and don't think it's worth the extra $80/month for the D. It looks like I would lose on .3 in 0-60 and 8 miles in range. Is there anything I'm missing or should consider? Thanks!

Pano doesn't impact noise level at all, and its definitely nice to open up at times, etc. It isn't too bright at all. Makes the car feel much more open, otherwise its a pretty low roofline and more cramped feeling...

The only noise you are going to hear are your tires on the road usually and maybe a hum here and there from electric motor when pushing it. This is a super quiet car.

Pano doesn't impact noise level at all, and its definitely nice to open up at times, etc. It isn't too bright at all. Makes the car feel much more open, otherwise its a pretty low roofline and more cramped feeling...

The only noise you are going to hear are your tires on the road usually and maybe a hum here and there from electric motor when pushing it. This is a super quiet car.

Great that there's no increased noise level. i just hope it doesn't make it too bright.

I have 3 kids and love the pano roof. I also debated getting one, since my wife hates them and always closes the sun shade on our other cars. Even she conceded that the tesla roof is "pretty good." No issues with heat or noise. I think the threads regarding issues with the pano were from earlier builds.
Order it and enjoy!

Have 3 little ones in the back and the pano is a must have. They can see the sky but the sun and heat is completely blocked. Before taking delivery I planned to tint the pano with huper optic but I won't touch it bc it's good as is.

When the pano is opened the pano looks like a mirror to the kids and they also enjoy it. I wouldn't buy an S without it.

For a lease config I would skip the executive rear seats and if you really need to you can buy a drop in console for the rear that you can resell after the lease is up.

My son is 18 months and loves the pano roof. I have not driven a D model so I can't speak to that, but I have driven a classic S with the 21" wheels. Compared to my 19s the larger wheels were louder, so if you are concerned about noise get the smaller wheels.

Have 3 little ones in the back and the pano is a must have. They can see the sky but the sun and heat is completely blocked. Before taking delivery I planned to tint the pano with huper optic but I won't touch it bc it's good as is.

When the pano is opened the pano looks like a mirror to the kids and they also enjoy it. I wouldn't buy an S without it.

For a lease config I would skip the executive rear seats and if you really need to you can buy a drop in console for the rear that you can resell after the lease is up.

What are executive rear seats? I don't see that in the design center.

Hi. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a lease for 60 with autopilot and executive seats. My question is with the pano roof.

Does anyone regret getting it? How about with a newborn? I'm wondering if it's too bright for a young child.
Also important is road noise. Is it louder with the pano roof?

I'm in a warm climate and don't think it's worth the extra $80/month for the D. It looks like I would lose on .3 in 0-60 and 8 miles in range. Is there anything I'm missing or should consider? Thanks!

Pano roof: I hate moonroofs/sunroofs in general, and am the kind of person that keeps the shade shut for 30,000 miles and maybe play with it once or twice in the first days. But the MS sunroof with its ceramic coating is actually quite acceptable, and as others have said, the practical benefit is more headroom. Don't just think about your own height, also consider any potential passengers that are tall. Nothing's more embarrassing than trying to demo your pride and joy luxury car to someone and they don't even fit in the car. I haven't appreciated any noise difference, but I have heard with previous generation pano roofs that there was a bit more wind noise. Tesla's gone through multiple redesigns of the system, and the 70D extended loaner I got sounded fine with the moonroof. It did a fine job of filtering out both heat and brightness of the California sun, so hopefully it works well for you too.

As far as the D: Almost every one of my previous cars had Quattro except for a 335i, and I must admit, I missed it, even though I live in a very temperate climate and never drive through snow. If you plan on mashing the pedal on curves or even bumpy highway onramps, RWD can sometimes give you a scare if road imperfections cause traction loss. You gain a lot more confidence with AWD in these scenarios, but again, AWD is sometimes controversial too because it detracts from the RWD handling characteristics that are really popular amongst driving enthusiasts.

For me, the extra money for the D was well worth it and almost a no-brainer. I'm not saying it should be for everyone, but even in warm climates there are handling and real-world benefits to AWD for aggressive drivers or those who live in hilly cities (*cough SF*) and want reliable starting performance from standstill.

I have the pano, and would skip it next time. I'm 5'-10" on a good day, and as my avatar shows, wear a hat. I can feel the heat coming through on warmer Southern California days. It is also noisier overall with it, not by a lot, but somewhat. Skipping air suspension and going with springs will make it quieter too, as well as 19 wheels.

Enjoy!

Pano roof: I hate moonroofs/sunroofs in general, and am the kind of person that keeps the shade shut for 30,000 miles and maybe play with it once or twice in the first days. But the MS sunroof with its ceramic coating is actually quite acceptable, and as others have said, the practical benefit is more headroom. Don't just think about your own height, also consider any potential passengers that are tall. Nothing's more embarrassing than trying to demo your pride and joy luxury car to someone and they don't even fit in the car. I haven't appreciated any noise difference, but I have heard with previous generation pano roofs that there was a bit more wind noise. Tesla's gone through multiple redesigns of the system, and the 70D extended loaner I got sounded fine with the moonroof. It did a fine job of filtering out both heat and brightness of the California sun, so hopefully it works well for you too.

What Chillaban said is valid. My experience with the Pano is with my 2013 CPO, so it noisier than newer models. Try to drive both.

As far as the D: Almost every one of my previous cars had Quattro except for a 335i, and I must admit, I missed it, even though I live in a very temperate climate and never drive through snow. If you plan on mashing the pedal on curves or even bumpy highway onramps, RWD can sometimes give you a scare if road imperfections cause traction loss. You gain a lot more confidence with AWD in these scenarios, but again, AWD is sometimes controversial too because it detracts from the RWD handling characteristics that are really popular amongst driving enthusiasts.

For me, the extra money for the D was well worth it and almost a no-brainer. I'm not saying it should be for everyone, but even in warm climates there are handling and real-world benefits to AWD for aggressive drivers or those who live in hilly cities (*cough SF*) and want reliable starting performance from standstill.

+1 to above.

I've driven P85 RWD loaners and have found them squirrelly under hard acceleration. And, if your "warm climate" happens to be in California, AWD's ability to handle occasional drives up to the snow without chains is a huge plus.

As for the pano, I can hear some added wind noise from it on my 85D, but for all of the reasons that people have cited, I wouldn't give it up. And, absolutely no problem from sunlight and heat, even on the hottest of summer days. Plus, there are optional sunshades available for both pano and rear hatch, if you are so inclined.

On the D: I would not get it, unless you drive really aggressively. Every time I step on it, I get a big smile, so the speed difference is negligible.
And the traction control is very good at keeping things in check even when I go a little nuts.

And I am in San Francisco, but I am not sure I get the hill start difference that was mentioned. I have not felt the need for more traction, as when you are starting uphill, the rear wheels are firmly planted by the weight of the car.

Tanks to everyone for your replies! I feel confident getting the pano. I'm sensitive to the noise, but it doesn't look like it'll be an issue.

There's definitely an advantage to the D, but I'll probably skip it and take the savings.

I got a quote from Tesla and the price feels right.

It would be great to hear if others have any experiences with pano and D.

Reactions: JPUConn
Still puzzled by your reference to executive rear seats. When I read that, I was assuming you were looking at CPO cars. But if you are ordering new, they are no longer an option. They were offered only for a very brief period of time (and apparently did not sell well, hence dropped from the line -- at least in the USA).

Still puzzled by your reference to executive rear seats. When I read that, I was assuming you were looking at CPO cars. But if you are ordering new, they are no longer an option. They were offered only for a very brief period of time (and apparently did not sell well, hence dropped from the line -- at least in the USA).
In my original post, I didn't refer to executive rear, just executive leather seats in the front. Someone else (post 9), said executive rear seats.