Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Battery Drain - 6% a day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here is a shot in the dark. A recent software update prevents the car from going to sleep if there is a problem with the LV battery. The car should have provided an alert. This is another good reason to open a ticket with Tesla as they would see this in the logs.

Reactions: mojavedesert
Looks like the phantom drain is still there. I lost 4% in 16hrs. A trip to Tesla Service Center is definitely a must.
IMG_0910.jpeg

I had something similar happen with my MXLR, Nov delivery as well. Fortunately it lasted only a few weeks. The phantom drain was not as severe as OP’s but within. 2 weeks period, I drove the car around 100 miles and it drained 100 miles while parked. On a couple nights, it lost 20 miles or so each night with every option turned off including sentry and preconditioning. Honestly I don’t know what happened and how it got resolved but after a couple charging cycles, the car just decided to behave more normally. However, I intentionally try to stop checking the Tesla app which may make a difference

Attachments

• IMG_7601.jpeg
    IMG_7601.jpeg
    750.3 KB · Views: 24
Looks like the phantom drain is still there. I lost 4% in 16hrs. A trip to Tesla Service Center is definitely a must.View attachment 1009076

Did you use Teslafi?

Two good things!

1) You can se both the real SOC and the displayed cold SOC.
The displayed SOC is adjusted down to reflect the range loss due to cold battery.
Teslafi shows the actual SOC as marked below, and the displayed cold soak SOC in blue with the snowflake.

If you look at the app or car, you can not know the actual SOC so the lower displayed SOC can be taken as abnormal phantom drainage.

Teslafi will show the real SOC, so a cold battery could be ruled out as the issue.
(Or learn that this is the thing happening).
Cold battery can easily lower the displayed SOC by 3-5%

IMG_6937.jpeg

2) You can check if the car sleeps:

My MSP yesterday. I woke the car twice, both by entering it mid day, and being close to it blowing snow from it with a leaf blower late night before parking it in the garage.
A normal day, not used, it will wake itself 0 to 1 (max2 times) to charge the LV batt.

The darker areas is ”awake” and lighter colored is sleeping.
IMG_6938.jpeg

My MSP 23 will use about 0.1 kWh / 0.1% when parked for 24hrs without sentry mode.

When the car sleeps as it should, and only is awake for ~30 minutes a day to charge the LV batt, there is No possibility for the car to use several % per day.
Sleeping car = HV batt disconnected and more or less no consumption (except for waking up and chsrging the LV bat).
The stand by power is ~4-5W.

I did turn off everything including WiFi
Is WiFi still off or did you just toggle it off/on? This jogged my memory that one of my periods of high phantom drain was solved when I turned off WiFi. I had noticed high traffic on my router for the model X (vs next to none for the model 3). Solved the problem. I was able to turn on WiFi a month later and all was fine.
I just installed TeslaFi app
I am a fan of Teslafi and it will let you see the patterns of sleep and battery drain. I strongly advise to disable it (change your Tesla password) before your Tesla service appointment. They will blame the drain on Teslafi even tho you know it is not because the problem started before you used Teslafi.

Is WiFi still off or did you just toggle it off/on? This jogged my memory that one of my periods of high phantom drain was solved when I turned off WiFi. I had noticed high traffic on my router for the model X (vs next to none for the model 3). Solved the problem. I was able to turn on WiFi a month later and all was fine.

I am a fan of Teslafi and it will let you see the patterns of sleep and battery drain. I strongly advise to disable it (change your Tesla password) before your Tesla service appointment. They will blame the drain on Teslafi even tho you know it is not because the problem started before you used Teslafi.
I did completly turn WiFi and Bluetooth off. Pretty much everything off, changed Tesla password, disable Tessi and TeslaFi Apps, and my car still draining 6% a day while parking in the garage. With this phantom drain rate, it's cheaper to drive my Lexus GX (with gas) than this new MX.

I did completly turn WiFi and Bluetooth off. Pretty much everything off, changed Tesla password, disable Tessi and TeslaFi Apps, and my car still draining 6% a day while parking in the garage. With this phantom drain rate, it's cheaper to drive my Lexus GX (with gas) than this new MX.
I bet the car doesnt sleep if if use 6% a day.

The power to use Sentry mode is about 290W in my '23 MSP, and even if I did not check it with this car, I bet the power draw is about same with the car awake. (my former M3P didnt really show any difference).

290W = ~7kWh per day which should be close to 7%.

If disabling teslafi did not help, activate it again to be able to confirm it doesnt sleep.

Did you shut down the car completely? (menu - security - shut down the vehicle) remember not to touch the brake, screen or open/close any door for at least two minutes. (I would rekommend letting it fall asleep, so 7-10minutes).
If it worked, the contactors should make the klonking sound when you open a door or press the brake after the 7-10 minutes. (it could be possible to stay and listen to the contactors opening when it falls asleep).

Hi @mojavedesert ,

Sorry if I missed it but I did not see whether you have a fob or not
and where do you store your phone or your spouse's phone in proximity
to the car...

If the phone is too close to the car it will never rest or sleep...
If your situation is such that the phone(s) have to be located too close to the
car, it would help if you turned OFF bluetooth on both or all phones overnight
or at least during your test period...

Good luck,

Shawn

I bet the car doesnt sleep if if use 6% a day.

The power to use Sentry mode is about 290W in my '23 MSP, and even if I did not check it with this car, I bet the power draw is about same with the car awake. (my former M3P didnt really show any difference).

290W = ~7kWh per day which should be close to 7%.

If disabling teslafi did not help, activate it again to be able to confirm it doesnt sleep.

Did you shut down the car completely? (menu - security - shut down the vehicle) remember not to touch the brake, screen or open/close any door for at least two minutes. (I would rekommend letting it fall asleep, so 7-10minutes).
If it worked, the contactors should make the klonking sound when you open a door or press the brake after the 7-10 minutes. (it could be possible to stay and listen to the contactors opening when it falls asleep).
Thank you for your recommends, I did everything you suggested but still nothing works. I strongly believe my car doesn't sleep at all. I gave up and a trip to Tesla Service Center in a couple days.

Reactions: AAKEE
Normal loss for a day is 0.1kWh or 0.1% for my 23 MSP.
About the same was valid for my 21 M3P.

If the car sleeps as it should the comsumption has been about 4-5W on average. Wakes up 0 or 1 times each day (maximum 2 times) for charging the low vilt battery.

The Tesla calculation for leaving car longer times has a very big margin to the real consumption.

I regulary leave my car for about one week at the time at work , and one week costs about 0.7-1% if not used nor connected.

Three weeks in the garage took 2% during a longer holiday trip.

This might not be the perfect example, but the pictures I found from one week at work.
(Six days from parking, not connected to the cable was connected to charge).
I entered the car several times to get some photos for other porposes than this)
According to this, the SOC went from 44.8 to 44.1%. So, 0.7% in six days.
IMG_6944.jpeg

IMG_6946.jpeg

The same week in teslafi:
Parked at 45%
IMG_6947.jpeg

A regular day with me not entering the car:
IMG_6948.jpeg

The day I connected the charger:
IMG_6950.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I realise that this is an older thread (and is about the MX) but I'm having pretty much the exact same problem with my M3LR. I've disabled Sentry mode completely, turned off cabin overheat protection, removed the app widget from my phone's screen and don't launch the app unless I have to and I'm still getting a 4-8% loss per day when the vehicle is in standby. I don't have any 3rd party apps connecting to the car.

I've submitted a service request for next week but I'm curious to know if Tesla was able to fix the problem for @mojavedesert ?

I realise that this is an older thread (and is about the MX) but I'm having pretty much the exact same problem with my M3LR. I've disabled Sentry mode completely, turned off cabin overheat protection, removed the app widget from my phone's screen and don't launch the app unless I have to and I'm still getting a 4-8% loss per day when the vehicle is in standby. I don't have any 3rd party apps connecting to the car.

I've submitted a service request for next week but I'm curious to know if Tesla was able to fix the problem for @mojavedesert ?
My X was totaled before I even get it fixed. It's actually got hit by a dumbass when I was on the way to Tesla Service Center to get it check out.