Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Battery Drain - 6% a day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery my 2023 MXLR in late November. Since then I experienced 6-7% battery drop a day while parking in the garage. I took a week (7 days) vacation over the holidays and left the car in the garage the whole time with sentry mode was off, cabin overheat protection was off. No third party app, only Tesla app and checked once a day. It dropped from 80% to 33%. Reset the car a couple time but still the same. Does any new X owner have this issue? I have appointment with Tesla SC in a few days and hope they can fix it.

I took delivery my 2023 MXLR in late November. Since then I experienced 6-7% battery drop a day while parking in the garage. I took a week (7 days) vacation over the holidays and left the car in the garage the whole time with sentry mode was off, cabin overheat protection was off. No third party app, only Tesla app and checked once a day. It dropped from 80% to 33%. Reset the car a couple time but still the same. Does any new X owner have this issue? I have appointment with Tesla SC in a few days and hope they can fix it.
That matches my 2017 X which never sleeps according to TeslaFI ... and I've adjusted its settings to try to make it sleep ... and have turned it off with no differences.
Mine has gotten better and better over the past few years as it used to be like 9%.

Doesn't seem like your car is going into a deep sleep for some reason. I think your Tesla app checking would wake it but I would only think for a few hours.

I would have plugged my car in while on vacation even if you only had 120v plug. I would have dialed it down to be 8 amps or something just to be cautious unless you have checked/replaced the outlet you are plugging into with an industrial one (more contact points, etc).

6-7% battery drop a day while parking in the garage. I took a week (7 days) vacation… It dropped from 80% to 33%
I would not find this acceptable at all and will be interested in what you learn from the service appointment.

My 2017 model X would go through periods of high phantom drain, but they all eventually resolved (usually without me having any idea what was causing it). My model 3 has never had a problem of bad phantom drain. I have had a ‘23 model S for a few weeks that has had essentially no phantom drain. And that is with Teslafi running.

Did you not leave it plugged in? Some discharge is normal, although yours seems excessive. Tesla recommends the vehicle be plugged in whenever not in use.

Reactions: dsm363
That matches my 2017 X which never sleeps according to TeslaFI ... and I've adjusted its settings to try to make it sleep ... and have turned it off with no differences.
Mine has gotten better and better over the past few years as it used to be like 9%.

Doesn't seem like your car is going into a deep sleep for some reason. I think your Tesla app checking would wake it but I would only think for a few hours.

I would have plugged my car in while on vacation even if you only had 120v plug. I would have dialed it down to be 8 amps or something just to be cautious unless you have checked/replaced the outlet you are plugging into with an industrial one (more contact points, etc).
I thought apps like TeslaFI can prevent car from going to sleep.

I thought apps like TeslaFI can prevent car from going to sleep.
Myth ... they have various options to let it sleep

Sleep TeslaFI tips.png

November delivered MXP. No, don’t have this issue. Have had other issues and car is now sitting on a S.C. lot for one of them over 24h on a pretty cold day and has lost only 1% with a couple of wake up’s.

I would power off the car completely (not the steering buttons reboot) using your key card and phone key away and let it sit for 2-5 minutes before you interact with it again. Retest your drain. Neither scheduled departure nor scheduled charging should cause such issues. Sentry maybe but you said it’s off already.

If no improvement, time for service.

Reactions: mojavedesert
Thanks everyone for all great advices. I did turn off everything including WiFi, Bluetooth, Tesla App, power off the car, and it still dropping about 1% every 4hrs. I just installed TeslaFi app and applied it to my existing Tesla account. Setup sleeping mode, charged it up to 90% (TeslaFi recommended to charge to above 90% to recalibrate the battery range). It's seating in the garage for 3 hrs now and only drops 1mile or 0.28%. If it keep dropping at the current rate, it will be 2.3% phantom drain a day, it's still well above the normal 1% a day.

I have learned that for long parking periods, don't trust the car to turn Sentry off. Just cause you park it and tap OFF on TS, sometimes it doesn't stay off. If could be a different profile messes things up. After a few hours away, I open the App and look at the Security tab, and once in a while have to tap the Checkbox OFF. Happened 2x in past 1.5yrs, once at home and once at an airport. Perhaps that occurred here.

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD