Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking and charging outside of home???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! It is a pleasure to be on this forum with everyone! I will be a new owner in the next 4-6 months and I have a dilemma that hopefully some of you share. My garage is not only narrow at 92 inches wide but it is a side of the driveway not at the end of driveway. Meaning that I have to make a sharp turn at end of driveway to park in the garage. Needless to say it is difficult to even park a smaller car with out stressing. I currently don't use that garage due to the risk of rubbing or scraping when trying to park. And my wife gets the other (let's not even go there). I live in SoCal so the weather is pretty good for parking outside. I was thinking of installing the 50A charger in the garage and routing the cable outside so I can charge the car outside 100% of the time. My concern was the rain. I don't want to shock myself or the car if it gets wet while charging. The lady at the Tesla dealership said it was OK but I would love to hear your input. Thank you so much in advance!!!

PS I was unsuccessful searching this topic even though I'm sure it has been discussed. Thanks again!

Short of a Biblical flood (pun intended), I don't think you have to worry about charging in the rain. Tesla must have subjected the charging cable and connector to all kinds of environmental testing, and if there were the slightest doubt about charging safety in inclement weather the lawyers would have insisted on placarding against it, for liability reasons.

The lady in the store was exactly right; you'll have no problems.

I have private, off-street parking but no garage. I've had no issue charging in the pouring rain, heavy snow, etc. from a NEMA 14-50 outlet near the parking area, using the UMC that shipped with the car. You have the advantage over my situation, because you can roll up your UMC and stow it in your garage when you're not charging.

Generally your car is more maneuverable in reverse. Think/try backing in at least once before you relegate to parking outside. I never got to park in a garage until I bought a house 3 years ago, and having a garaged car is so nice.

I used to have a house with a rear-side garage and in 2006, on a rainy, dark, early AM while hurrying to get to work I clipped the brick corner in my almost new Prius. Result was a trashed rear quarter panel. I still get shudders thinking about that morning and don't blame you one bit, John, for not wanting to use your garage with the Model S. Also, no garage in my current house and will be charging outdoors for the MS. No problems the past 4 months with 120V charging outdoors for the Plug In Prius.

Hi everyone! It is a pleasure to be on this forum with everyone! I will be a new owner in the next 4-6 months and I have a dilemma that hopefully some of you share. My garage is not only narrow at 92 inches wide but it is a side of the driveway not at the end of driveway. Meaning that I have to make a sharp turn at end of driveway to park in the garage. Needless to say it is difficult to even park a smaller car with out stressing. I currently don't use that garage due to the risk of rubbing or scraping when trying to park. And my wife gets the other (let's not even go there). I live in SoCal so the weather is pretty good for parking outside. I was thinking of installing the 50A charger in the garage and routing the cable outside so I can charge the car outside 100% of the time. My concern was the rain. I don't want to shock myself or the car if it gets wet while charging. The lady at the Tesla dealership said it was OK but I would love to hear your input. Thank you so much in advance!!!

PS I was unsuccessful searching this topic even though I'm sure it has been discussed. Thanks again!

Sounds like everyone is telling you that outside charging will be just fine. I'm in SoCal as well so ...yeah...the weather isn't really an issue ;)

To address the other part of your concern...I doubt you will be able to maneuver the model s into your spot if you were having trouble with a compact car. The car is pretty darn big (wide AND long). I had to have our garage completely redone! (There was a ton of clutter and it needed a revamping anyways). Maybe once the wifey sits and experiences the car age will graciously offer up her spot? (If that spot is big enough).

Good luck!

FWIW, I've been charging my Roadster outside daily in Nebraska for over a year, through two winters of sub-zero and one summer with a nice stretch of 105-110 F, plus all the accompanying rain, snow, etc. The manual specifically says not to do it but I haven't had any issues with the charging. The 14-50 outlet is mounted outside. I can't comment specifically on the cord (different for Roadster and S) but the 14-50 outlet seems to handle it like a champ.

Of course, now that I say that I'm sure it will burn the building down this week.

I was thinking of installing the 50A charger in the garage and routing the cable outside so I can charge the car outside 100% of the time. My concern was the rain. I don't want to shock myself or the car if it gets wet while charging. The lady at the Tesla dealership said it was OK but I would love to hear your input.

The NEC requires all EVSE to have ground-fault interrupters to prevent you from being subject to dangerous shocks, within 12" of plug-and-cord-connected supply equipment, or built into fixed supply equipment. That will provide reasonable protection for wet locations.

Have no fear. I plug my Volt in outdoors every day and often in heavy rain and even snow, conditions much worse than you'd face in SoCal. At first I was extremely cautious but if you don't do stupid things the risks are extremely minor, probably lower than getting struck by lightning:)

I have a difficult driveway as well, but when I attempted to squeeze the Model S in, either forwards or reverse, there was just no way.

My gracious wife finally said "you park on my side (the left) and I'll park in your side". She had to practice a bit but is now able to maneuver her car in and out ok. Acura TSX, much smaller than Model S! As a bonus, we are still able to open the dryer door with my car parked inside. We were worried I'd have to move the car every time we did laundry.

The NEC requires all EVSE to have ground-fault interrupters to prevent you from being subject to dangerous shocks, within 12" of plug-and-cord-connected supply equipment, or built into fixed supply equipment. That will provide reasonable protection for wet locations.

Indeed. I've washed my car while charging and had absolutely no concerns about doing this thanks to the ground fault system.

You're saying the EVSE (i.e. UMC) has ground fault protection built-in? My 14-50 is going in the garage and I wasn't planning on utilizing a GFI breaker. Should I?

You're saying the EVSE (i.e. UMC) has ground fault protection built-in? My 14-50 is going in the garage and I wasn't planning on utilizing a GFI breaker. Should I?

You shouldn't put a GFCI on the outlet. The leakage current spec for EVs is higher than a general purpose outlet, and using a standard GFCI may result in it tripping. The UMC has it built in.

The UMC does ground fault protection on the EV coupling side. It also provides the appropriate and required disconnection in case of a failure of the EV load through a contactor. You don't need a GFCI breaker unless local codes require it for some other reason (I've seen some local code amendments require GFCI's for all NEC 210.8(A) wet-location receptacles, even 30A and 50A (the NEC by default states only 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-amp receptacles).

Older GFCI's used to be sensitive to daisy-chaining, but I've seen less and less issues. I even corrected someone who had 5 GFCI receptacles daisy-chained together. If you have the extra GFCI breaker laying around, it probably wouldn't hurt, but I'd recommend saving the money. :)

- - - Updated - - -

You shouldn't put a GFCI on the outlet. The leakage current spec for EVs is higher than a general purpose outlet, and using a standard GFCI may result in it tripping. The UMC has it built in.

It may be the case that it does, but I'm not sure it's supposed to be that way. :) The US NEC simply says it needs to have a listed means against shock of personnel. I believe that still follows the standard 5 mA rule, but I'd have to get out my listing book.

Yes, this was my initial understanding. A GFCI isn't required for the outlet going in my garage and I was concerned about the accidental tripping. Being the "belt-and-suspenders" kinda guy that I am, I did put a 60 amp loadbreak switch just ahead of the NEMA 14-50. My garage floor can get wet with salt brine in the winter, and I think I'd like to flip the switch whenever I unplug the UMC to take it with me. I haven't finished the wiring yet, and was just curious about FlasherZ's comment regarding EVSE having to have GFI capability and was wondering if it was, in fact, built into Tesla's UMC.

I haven't finished the wiring yet, and was just curious about FlasherZ's comment regarding EVSE having to have GFI capability and was wondering if it was, in fact, built into Tesla's UMC.

Yup. All plug-and-cord connected EVSE's:

625.22 Personnel Protection System. The electric vehicle
supply equipment shall have a listed system of protection
against electric shock of personnel. The personnel protection
system shall be composed of listed personnel protection de-
vices and constructional features. Where cord-and-plug-
connected electric vehicle supply equipment is used, the inter-
rupting device of a listed personnel protection system shall be
provided and shall be an integral part of the attachment plug
or shall be located in the power supply cable not more than
300 mm (12 in.) from the attachment plug.