Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Parking Brake Needs Service"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the same issue and SC claimed 2017.38.4 fixed it, I am on 2017.40.1 now and no recurrence yet.

It's pretty simple to do;

1. Open front trunk
2. Remove plastic trim cover at top edge (closest to windshield, the black plastic piece with the tag coming form under it). It pops right off easily, not held with standard trim clips and designed to be removed.
3. On left side (facing back of the Model X) is the battery. It is slightly recessed so a little painful to reach, but not tough. Disconnect RED hot lead and leave disconnected for a few minutes and reconnect.

Note this will reset the car including the FWD and you may show door errors. Opening and closing them will reset them and clear the error.

Thanks. Will give that a try. The tech had me disconnect the ground lead... nothing... the car acted as if the battery was still fully connected.

I have a MX and couldn't get my fat paws to reach the positive terminal... Removing and reconnecting the ground cable did nothing. Please give your SC an earful about this firmware issue ;-)
I disconnected the high voltage service connector first, the one the firemen are supposed to disconnect / cut.

Then I used an 8mm socket and removed the negative battery post. It did spark a little. Then I reconnected it. Issue fixed. Car was able to move.

I disconnected the high voltage service connector first, the one the firemen are supposed to disconnect / cut.

Then I used an 8mm socket and removed the negative battery post. It did spark a little. Then I reconnected it. Issue fixed. Car was able to move.

Awesome! Worked for me too... Thanks! Btw, the technician I worked with earlier today said that he hasn't seen the failure return after rebooting 12V.

Awesome! Worked for me too... Thanks! Btw, the technician I worked with earlier today said that he hasn't seen the failure return after rebooting 12V.

Just curious, did the technician tell you to pull the high voltage disconnect plug?

Looks like we took delivery the same day! I love the vehicle, even love getting my hands dirty working on it. So much fun.

Just curious, did the technician tell you to pull the high voltage disconnect plug?

Looks like we took delivery the same day! I love the vehicle, even love getting my hands dirty working on it. So much fun.

The technician actually said to maybe pull the fireman plug when the other tries failed. But at the time, I had lost hope and didn't try until seeing your post. Thanks again, btw. And I like wrenching on my vehicle too, but wasn't thinking I'd need to in the first couple of weeks.

Hi guys - I had mine towed from the same issue last Friday and just heard back from the service today. They're saying that it's the Parking Brake Module and it needs to be replaced. Has anyone had their parking brake module replaced or had the same diagnosis?

Hi guys - I had mine towed from the same issue last Friday and just heard back from the service today. They're saying that it's the Parking Brake Module and it needs to be replaced. Has anyone had their parking brake module replaced or had the same diagnosis?

Have not seen this reported as a cause. Have been told it's definitely a software issue. Still no update as far as I've seen.

Reactions: Utahken
Have not seen this reported as a cause. Have been told it's definitely a software issue. Still no update as far as I've seen.

I've been told its a software issue as well. I called them today and they said they're hoping to hear back from the engineering team with a software update by end of this week.

They reached out today saying that they have the parking brake module but "the issue might be software related and they're waiting for the engineering team". This is very disappointing.

I'm in the same boat, I took delivery a little over 2 weeks ago. I received the 40.1 firmware last Thursday and Saturday morning when I got in my S75D the parking break error popped up. They towed my car, reset the electrical, and I was able to pick up my car Sunday afternoon. They told me it was a firmware issue and that they hadn't seen it happen twice on any cars. Monday morning, parking brake error again. They towed it...again...and I told them to keep it at the SC until they think the firmware has been fixed. I'm currently in a loaner for the time being. I'll try to update this thread once they let me know any more info.

I'm in the same boat, I took delivery a little over 2 weeks ago. I received the 40.1 firmware last Thursday and Saturday morning when I got in my S75D the parking break error popped up. They towed my car, reset the electrical, and I was able to pick up my car Sunday afternoon. They told me it was a firmware issue and that they hadn't seen it happen twice on any cars. Monday morning, parking brake error again. They towed it...again...and I told them to keep it at the SC until they think the firmware has been fixed. I'm currently in a loaner for the time being. I'll try to update this thread once they let me know any more info.
Welcome to the x2 club. We're getting t-shirts...

I also am in the same boat. The SC I took mine to claims that all of my problems (except the door handle) are related to the same glitch that is only present in AP2.5 hardware.

I received my 75D on Oct 3rd, and it's been in the shop 4 times and is now there until it's fixed. I don't want it back after being reset.