Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thrilled to have my sensors, though I never imagined using them in this scenario, alerting me that I'm about to roll into someone. Just curious, how did you not see the car, an SUV right in front of you, and you not notice that you were getting closer?
I understand, and if I had them I'm sure I'd love them. I too am not sure i understand your scenario swegman. I think that's why I refer to the driving standards and things we all had to know before we had all the modern conveniences and technologies we have today (for myself - I know we're all different). I try and stick to the basics and let the other aspects assist and not dictate what I do.
Again, just my opinion for myself, we all drive slightly different lanes :)

I can give a good reason for having parking sensors. Recently, I was stopped at a red light on a hill, going down. I do not have creep on, so I normally do not use the brakes much to stop,or keep the car from rolling forward (or backward). Because of the slope, after I came to a complete stop, the car started to roll and contacted the car in front of me, which was an Acura SUV. Thus, the bumpers did not match up. The impact was at less than 1 mph (the speedo, which I happened to be looking at at the time, showed 0), but the hood, which is probably the most fragile sheet metal on the car, got a dent. The car is in the shop to get the dent removed and painted, at a cost of $733. I am certain that if I had had parking sensors, it would have alerted me of the rolling and this incident would have been avoided.

Although I do most likely plan on getting the parking sensor retrofit if Tesla offers it, I also plan on getting the MobileEye system for exactly this type of scenario (and others.. Pedestrian, etc..) as you went through swegman...

Aaron

I understand, and if I had them I'm sure I'd love them. I too am not sure i understand your scenario swegman. I think that's why I refer to the driving standards and things we all had to know before we had all the modern conveniences and technologies we have today (for myself - I know we're all different). I try and stick to the basics and let the other aspects assist and not dictate what I do.
Again, just my opinion for myself, we all drive slightly different lanes :)

We all have a brain cramp every once in a while; then we pay the stupid tax to fix our mistakes. Almost everyone has found themselves in reverse when they though they were in drive. It doesn't take more than a tap with a car this heavy to put a little nick in that rear plastic bumper. Ask me how I know.

I was stopped perhaps 2 feet behind the car and was looking at the navigation display (the small one next to the speedo) and speedo display at the time. The speedo never changed from its "0" reading, thus it was a very, very slow creep; did not even feel the contact. The hood (frunk) is easily dented. Even closing it using the "wrong" technique can result in it being dented.

I thought I would update this thread with my experience with the OEM parking sensors. I have now noticed that while driving in stop-n-go city traffic, my front sensors are continuously alerting me to cars that are in either lane. Not cars in front of me, but on the sides. Very frustrating. I am calling TM as soon as I get a break from work.

I thought I would update this thread with my experience with the OEM parking sensors. I have now noticed that while driving in stop-n-go city traffic, my front sensors are continuously alerting me to cars that are in either lane. Not cars in front of me, but on the sides. Very frustrating. I am calling TM as soon as I get a break from work.
Can you at least mute the Audio? It's my impression that you can with this system (you can't on my wifes' Van and it drives us crazy).

4SUPER9: What version of Firmware are you using? Could you post any pictures of the UI for the parking sensors? I've only seen photos from 5.5, so I am curious what we're getting in the cars that are shipping now.

Can you at least mute the Audio? It's my impression that you can with this system (you can't on my wifes' Van and it drives us crazy).
No. In fact, I have noticed that when in reverse, the mute button is totally non-functional. I have no idea if this is related to the parking sensors. Does this occur on models with 4.5?

4SUPER9: What version of Firmware are you using? Could you post any pictures of the UI for the parking sensors? I've only seen photos from 5.5, so I am curious what we're getting in the cars that are shipping now.
Will do.

No. In fact, I have noticed that when in reverse, the mute button is totally non-functional. I have no idea if this is related to the parking sensors. Does this occur on models with 4.5?

Ugh. I ordered the Parking Sensors with the understanding the Beeping could be muted... The description on the website is a bit misleading about that, but at least it does sound like what you are experiencing is not intended. So hopefully they can get it fixed for you...

Attachments

• Parking Sensors.png
    Parking Sensors.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 630
I called TM today. They just got back to me after speaking to a "high level" technician. They are aware of some sensitivities on the parking sensor issue and say that it is software related and are working on a fix. They were not aware of the mute not working in reverse until I called.

Here are pics.
Front sensors (appears on dash only):
Front.JPG

Rear Sensors on Main Screen:
Rear Main.jpg

Rear Sensors on Dash:
Rear Dash.JPG

Having come from the Audi world, where the parking sensors worked great, I find it interesting folks want to mute the audio of Tesla's sensors. Now, I haven't heard this audio since Tesla pulled a fast one and announced sensors 2 days after I confirmed, so I don't have 'em.

But in my experience with my Audi, I found I didn't care about any visuals. I didn't bother looking at the rear camera display. My eyes were busy scanning around the car for people, pets, random shopping carts, concrete walls, cars parked poorly, whatever randomness needed attention -- and at the same time, the audio cues (including ever-increasing rates of short beeps as I got closer to whatever it was I was getting closer to) provided plenty of information to help me park. Especially handy in the Audi is that the audio beeps for front sensors were at a different audio pitch than the rear sensors. And both pitches were adjustable in the Settings menu if you so chose.

Tesla, being a tech company, full of tech people, is going down the path of relying heavily on screen information, when, in my opinion, the last place a driver's eyes should be looking at when nudging into a tight parking space, say, is at a screen. With the Audi I found the audio was plenty. When the beeps got so frequent that they became a solid single long tone, I knew I was within 4-5 inches of the "thing". For example, in parallel parking, once I backed in far enough and got close enough to the car's bumper behind me that I reached a solid tone, I knew to move forward a nudge and the audio would go from continuous tone to super-fast beeps to slower beeps.

I'm curious how things work in the Model S. If Tesla doesn't gouge us with $4500 retrofit fees for adding sensors, maybe I'll get the retrofit.

I called TM today. They just got back to me after speaking to a "high level" technician. They are aware of some sensitivities on the parking sensor issue and say that it is software related and are working on a fix. They were not aware of the mute not working in reverse until I called.

Here are pics.
Front sensors (appears on dash only):
View attachment 30457

Thanks for discovering and reporting the issue. Thanks also for posting the pix. UI looks really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having come from the Audi world, where the parking sensors worked great, I find it interesting folks want to mute the audio of Tesla's sensors. Now, I haven't heard this audio since Tesla pulled a fast one and announced sensors 2 days after I confirmed, so I don't have 'em.

Usually the number one question for any car that has any kind of beeping is, "How do you turn the beeping off?".