Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Part-Ex Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TM3PTN, I’m not sure you will gain anything from getting the work done yourself! You can enter all things like alloy damage on WBAC etc. And see what the price difference is. Most of the time I have thought it’s only a few quid more than what it would cost to get the job done and no hassle to you!
Unless you can get it done at friends and family rates!!
If I was selling it off my drive that would be a different matter!
And yeah mine was mint, owned it from new for 3.5 yrs!!

That is really useful to know!! If mileage has no bearing then I don't have to worry about any of the above! Just hand the car back and walk away when my M3P arrives.

Being an accountant I am a stickler for reading everything when it comes to legal bits but I must admit this has always been an area which I have paid lip-service to (purely because I have not had to worry about it previously)

Take care here. @NorfolkMustard is sort of right but not really :confused:. There is no statutory mechanism for them to sue you for the unpaid excess mileage as the CCA isn’t specifically aimed at car finance.

What happens is they will chase you for the money and eventually give up. Apart from the unpleasantness of that they are also likely to show the amount of the excess mileage charge as an outstanding balance on your credit file. It is not a default but other lenders pretty much know what it means - and plenty of owners will use this loophole to avoid making the payment.

Personally I’d pay the excess mileage charge because I owe it :) but each to their own ;)

Take care here. @NorfolkMustard is sort of right but not really :confused:. There is no statutory mechanism for them to sue you for the unpaid excess mileage as the CCA isn’t specifically aimed at car finance.

What happens is they will chase you for the money and eventually give up. Apart from the unpleasantness of that they are also likely to show the amount of the excess mileage charge as an outstanding balance on your credit file. It is not a default but other lenders pretty much know what it means - and plenty of owners will use this loophole to avoid making the payment.

Personally I’d pay the excess mileage charge because I owe it :) but each to their own ;)

I have just done some reading up and you're right about the chasing for the excess mileage being unpleasant.
My aim is to reduce the use of the car to such an extent that the excess mileage pro-rata'd comes down (duration of the vehicle in my ownership gets longer, but my comparable mileage per month between now and M3P pickup is reduced). That way the figure is reduced down as far as possible, without hindering my day to day life.
I want to keep this car until I get my M3P otherwise I'm at the mercy of a horrendous train commute into Manchester over the winter months :eek: really don't fancy that.

That sounds a good (better :) ) idea

Although, I wonder if you could negotiate a reduced mileage fee, suggest it would save them their debt factoring costs ;)

Yeah possibly. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say ;)

My view is that I was the one that took the agreement, so I should be held accountable for the mileage - its only right and fair (i reluctantly admit). But it's hard to tell your mother not to drive your car everywhere while you're away from home o_O

My view is that I was the one that took the agreement, so I should be held accountable for the mileage - its only right and fair (i reluctantly admit). But it's hard to tell your mother not to drive your car everywhere while you're away from home o_O

Don’t let her drive the Tesla then! One of the first pieces of advice existing owners give to new owners is to ring your Insurer to double the estimated annual mileage :D.

And talking of excess mileage charges, I’m waaaay over mine :eek:, probably by 10k by the time I hand it back. Makes the calculations like you’ve been doing all the more interesting :).

Agree completely, and as you’ll know if you’ve been lurking around this place, Tesla can’t run a bath so predicting an accurate delivery date is impossible.
That's definitely an underlying theme I have got from reading several threads :D

It's a good job their cars are amazing - although one does wonder how long they can go on the goodwill generated by their cars alone. Surely customer service (or lack of) will eventually impact on success? As a shareholder i'm hoping they buck their ideas up sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Roy W.
Don’t let her drive the Tesla then! One of the first pieces of advice existing owners give to new owners is to ring your Insurer to double the estimated annual mileage :D.

And talking of excess mileage charges, I’m waaaay over mine :eek:, probably by 10k by the time I hand it back. Makes the calculations like you’ve been doing all the more interesting :).
Haha - the plan for the tesla is a longer term one. I'll eventually get something else but we're likely to keep the M3P in the family for a lot longer (the ota updates mean a practically new car every so often, and the minimal service and maintenance costs also convince me). So she'll get it eventually :D

10k! thats impressive ha ha. But I bet every single one of those miles were ridiculously enjoyable :cool:

Hey chaps, or specifically anyone that has part-exchanged with Tesla when picking up their new car: Did Tesla honour the original trade-in price offered? I seem to recall the trade-in price form only asked for mileage and reg number, not anything about condition, so anyone whose trade-in had the odd scratch... did they still take it?

When i got the trade-in price originally, it was a couple of grand lower than other places online quoted, but I assumed that was to account for little imperfections and the depreciation between ordering and receiving.

Hey chaps, or specifically anyone that has part-exchanged with Tesla when picking up their new car: Did Tesla honour the original trade-in price offered? I seem to recall the trade-in price form only asked for mileage and reg number, not anything about condition, so anyone whose trade-in had the odd scratch... did they still take it?

When i got the trade-in price originally, it was a couple of grand lower than other places online quoted, but I assumed that was to account for little imperfections and the depreciation between ordering and receiving.
When I asked the helpful chap at the Stockport SC about trade-in he said they don't offer a great deal for trade-ins because they take the cars as they are...
Now, if that meant they offer lower because they assume the cars will have the odd bump/scratch etc. then i'd say that you're correct. My trade in quote was nearly £3k less than other places (Arnold Clark, WBAC) so it was a little off-putting.

When I asked the helpful chap at the Stockport SC about trade-in he said they don't offer a great deal for trade-ins because they take the cars as they are...
Now, if that meant they offer lower because they assume the cars will have the odd bump/scratch etc. then i'd say that you're correct. My trade in quote was nearly £3k less than other places (Arnold Clark, WBAC) so it was a little off-putting.
I think they offer lower because, really, they’d rather not be bothered. Unless you’re trading in another Tesla, everything else just goes straight to auction.

Reactions: TM3PTN

They don't check the car and try to negotiate a price with you, the staff just take the car as is, they don't have time to negotiate and that would have had to be done before any invoices, imagine the paperwork if they had to start redoing invoices to knock £100 for a dent.

I have been specifically told that Tesla simply pass car on to BCA. Some cars achieve more than they paid, some less, but in the end, it largely evens out and they seem happy with that. V5 and 2 sets of keys seem to be all they are interested in.

For us, Tesla valued our car around 10% less than WBAC (car value < £1k), but by the time you take into account any non obvious WBAC costs, or them knocking of some additional cost because a 12+ year old car is not perfect (nor worth much), or us having to organise transport to pickup, or our original valuation was back in May, no break or overlap in ownership/insurance, etc etc I don't think the alternatives are any better for us. Neither valuations seemed to take into account vehicle options or service history and we may have done slightly better selling privately, but at end of day, its a convenience to us. Might think different if it was a £10k value car though.

Reactions: KennethS
Apologies for the bump - not a Tesla part ex but VTing my BMW when buying a Tesla

have an invoice from BCA for two scuffed wheels (one fair enough, the other a bit borderline IMO), and a small dent in the door. £255 overall

I’d read previously sometimes people having those costs waived so I’m wondering if it’s best to wait until the 7 days elapses or just pay it?