Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger door opens by itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once I rebuilt the new switch triggered every single time. Once I put screw to correct position it was resolved.
There is one screw and one microswitch (pointed on the photo by red arrow) that controls the handle movement. That screw can adjust the handle position of how far it will extend and the sensor is triggering this “handle presentation”. It‘s have been mentioned by user @TonyT and is the recalibration process to avoid the door from opening itself.

CAE04AB7-6F8D-416A-B602-C5803837468E.jpeg

Replacing the door sounds excessive. The handle triggers the latch release. Possibly you could have a damaged controller or latch. But if door pops open when handle extends the likely the extension is triggering the microswitch to contact causing the door to open. Mine was doing exactly that. Originally it was intermittent so sometimes it triggered. Once I rebuilt the new switch triggered every single time. Once I put screw to correct position it was resolved.
Can you elaborate how this was adjusted?

The small micro switch screw in the pic is to secure the switch...no adjustment...screw in to tighten ...unscrew to loosen the switch

Did you add a washer to push the switch in or out?.:.or ..are you referring to the big torx screw that triggered the random pop open?

There is one screw and one microswitch (pointed on the photo by red arrow) that controls the handle movement. That screw can adjust the handle position of how far it will extend and the sensor is triggering this “handle presentation”. It‘s have been mentioned by user @TonyT and is the recalibration process to avoid the door from opening itself.

View attachment 781163
Actually the one to stop the handle presenting is under the microswitch on the left side, the little silver moon is actually a T8 screw head. The red arrow one will adjust where the handle rest when retracted.

1659457945120.png

I think it's the microswitch, mine does the same thing randomly. Currently I present only driver handle, however the passenger door still will randomly open when I present all handles. I have the wiring and switch now and it's on my todo list, so maybe someone can confirm the exact fix. New door handle will have new microswitch, however everything is new....

I'm curious what "recalibrate" is..

Calibrate is only used on gen 3 handle, gen 2 and 1 don't have a software calibration.

Actually the one to stop the handle presenting is under the microswitch on the left side, the little silver moon is actually a T8 screw head. The red arrow one will adjust where the handle rest when retracted.

View attachment 835757

Thanks. I have this same issue on my RL passenger door but looking for exact screws for calibration. Mine opens by itself upon presenting as well but when retracted it also sits too deep, so not flush with the door, AND it won't present when pressed/touch so it's totally messed up.

So to summarize, which screw does what from @KalJoMoS picture above:
1. Leftmost as @TonyT cut out picture shows is for stopping/ adjusting how much it presents
2. Middle big screw with big arrow is for adjusting the handle while sitting flush (at rest?) Or is it rest when extended (presented)?
3. Last small arrow is pointing to screw/ microswitch, which is the trigger to presentation upon touch/press

So it seems I need to adjust all of them. Screw 2 to adjust the handle to be flush, then screw 1 to be farther out so latch won't get activated upon presentation, and finally screw 3 to adjust microswitch so it can present upon pressing the handle.

Is this correct?