Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger door opens by itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I got a used 2013 Tesla S P85 and while I definetly like the car there are a few things that border me a lot.

When I approach the car with my key in the pocket the door handle comes out and at that moment
the passenger door opens by itself - almost like the passenger door handle goes out too much and causes the door to open. Same happens when I put the car to P after driving - the passenger door opens by itself.

I'm not affraid to take it out by myself and replace whatever needs to be replaced, just wandering what it might be?? Maybe someone had that issue already?

Thank you !

That's normal on a Model X (with premium package).

I haven't heard of this happening on a Model S, but the early ones are famous for problems with the door handles.

Here is an article and video about the problems they can have and how to fix them:
Here's How To Permanently Fix Tesla's Door Handle Design Flaw

The doors open with a solenoid and it sounds like there is something in your door handle that is triggering the door release solenoid when the handles present.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78 and mongo
I expect it to be something with the microswitches in the door handle. I replaced them on a 2013 Model S because the door wouldn't open. But when I saw the mechanism I can imagine something triggering the door to open when there is dirt in between it.

Last edited:
I think it's the microswitch, mine does the same thing randomly. Currently I present only driver handle, however the passenger door still will randomly open when I present all handles. I have the wiring and switch now and it's on my todo list, so maybe someone can confirm the exact fix. New door handle will have new microswitch, however everything is new....

I'm curious what "recalibrate" is..

My 2013 Model S has exactly the same issue:
"When I approach the car with my key in the pocket the door handle comes out and at that moment
the passenger door opens by itself - almost like the passenger door handle goes out too much and causes the door to open. Same happens when I put the car to P after driving - the passenger door opens by itself."
Anyone have a solution? The service center folks said its out of warranty and might cost aplenty to replace the door. I am fairly certain such an extreme solution is not required. (Of course, the problem did not duplicate when I was at the service center.)

My 2013 Model S has exactly the same issue:
"When I approach the car with my key in the pocket the door handle comes out and at that moment
the passenger door opens by itself - almost like the passenger door handle goes out too much and causes the door to open. Same happens when I put the car to P after driving - the passenger door opens by itself."
Anyone have a solution? The service center folks said its out of warranty and might cost aplenty to replace the door. I am fairly certain such an extreme solution is not required. (Of course, the problem did not duplicate when I was at the service center.)
I just got this exact issue repaired a few weeks ago. Mobile service came out and rebuilt the handle. Altho another problem cropped up where the door will not open and that was probably a calibration thing. The original fix was about $500 and seemed to be routine. The service center then fixed the door not opening part but it started doing it again this week. I have ANOTHER appointment for them to look at it again. Hopefully this repair falls under warranty of the previous repair.

There is no need to replace the whole door.

Replacing the door sounds excessive. The handle triggers the latch release. Possibly you could have a damaged controller or latch. But if door pops open when handle extends the likely the extension is triggering the microswitch to contact causing the door to open. Mine was doing exactly that. Originally it was intermittent so sometimes it triggered. Once I rebuilt the new switch triggered every single time. Once I put screw to correct position it was resolved.