Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger Lumbar Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
As the M3 shares many parts with the MY, and it's being reported that new MY are lacking lumbar support for passenger seats... are new MY owners seeing this as well?

Do new M3's come with lumbar support for the front passenger? If any new M3 owners could check their passenger seat, it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Link (Reddit thread):
Link (Model Y thread on teslamotorsclub): Passenger lumbar support missing from new MY

Someone on that posted Reddit thread just collected a 3 and was missing passenger lumbar controls. I can’t see any reason the 3 would be excluded from this change.

Could easily be the case that S/X are prioritised.

Without getting too much into my feelings on this happening “quietly”… anyone know if it is possible to “correct” this out of pocket either with aftermarket seats or through official channels since it is seeming pretty safe to assume that Tesla has no plans to correct it, since they haven’t even told people it was happening.

Without getting too much into my feelings on this happening “quietly”… anyone know if it is possible to “correct” this out of pocket either with aftermarket seats or through official channels since it is seeming pretty safe to assume that Tesla has no plans to correct it, since they haven’t even told people it was happening.
If you had damage on your passenger seat on arrival, then you’d need a new passenger seat. A ranger told me that they didn’t replace parts of them, they’d just replace the whole seat.

That being said, if you did have damage on your seat on delivery you could end up waiting months for a replacement if there is a shortage of parts.

This possibly explains why I’m still waiting for a heated steering wheel that I ordered in early March.

Apparently it was/is being removed from the 3/Y because “stats say people don’t use it enough”.

Surely you get it the way you want it and leave it, don’t you? The other controls are just as likely not to be used once you’ve found a comfortable position.

I don’t buy this reasoning, especially in light of the fact that BMW - maybe others - are offering discounts for customers to buy cars without passenger lumbar optioned.

The timing is very suspect.

My first thought was that they are really noting what features are used and by how much? Really? If you use the lumbar button then it’s accounted in the logs at Tesla and someone is checking the stats?
The thing that I find strange is, the lumbar in the model 3 is not saved under driver profiles. I would assume this is because whatever actuator they use has no position sensor (open loop), so theoretically no way for Tesla to collect data on what position it has been adjusted to.

Maybe they collect data on how many times the adjustment buttons were pressed but you typically adjust it where you want and leave it as is. How many times the lumbar support is adjusted doesn't necessarily correlate with how valuable someone finds it at their preferred adjusted position.

The car is already bare bones as it is. The logic and theory is absurd and beyond stupid. Clear cost savings issue to make a few extra bucks.

Elon’s days of being some visionary leading a company are over IMO. Get someone else in there to take the reigns who knows how to build quality cars, provide value and still have that technical vision.

Let’s not even devolve into the FSD price hikes, radar delete and vapor ware . Enough threads about that.

Should remove the brakes since it mostly uses regenerative braking as well.

Its petty and foolish to remove something that might help someone with health issues like back issues. It could be a make or break decision for some. Like others said, it's typically a set and forget setting. Siting "usage data" is BS, and just software people using data to justify a penny pinching move. Booooo Musk. Boooo.

Rockets aren't cheap

Not much help for most of you guys but Tesla support are claiming MiC cars are currently unaffected by this. I’m getting a Model 3 in a few weeks so was curious.

1EFF9470-7283-4C76-8CB3-AF36EA0FF1C7.jpeg

Well *sugar*, I'm moving my seat around once a day even if I'm not driving anywhere. I don't want them taking out driver side lumbar support or controls ...
Few iterations later -
Tesla: AI Wiill now decide your optimal seating postion.

Well *sugar*, I'm moving my seat around once a day even if I'm not driving anywhere. I don't want them taking out driver side lumbar support or controls ...
Few iterations later -
Tesla: AI Wiill now decide your optimal seating postion.
…and you will pay $139343933.46 for the privilege of AI controlling your seating position, but certain features like seat height adjustment will be disabled until <insert fantasy timeline here>. You’ll have to wiggle around in your seat every 30 seconds or seat adjustment will be disabled until you reach your destination.

…and you will pay $139343933.46 for the privilege of AI controlling your seating position, but certain features like seat height adjustment will be disabled until <insert fantasy timeline here>. You’ll have to wiggle around in your seat every 30 seconds or seat adjustment will be disabled until you reach your destination.
Our data has told us that people are not using their brake pedal enough, we've removed them to save costs. Everyone should only be doing 1 pedal driving. Good Luck and God Speed. - Elon Musk

I am not sure what point is made though. We have a choice of buying a product or not based on what it offers. Completely our decision.

I am not sure what point is made though. We have a choice of buying a product or not based on what it offers. Completely our decision.
There are some issues tied to it. Usually a car purchase has a lot more depending on it. It's not really like buying a phone, you can walk up to the next store and get whatever you want or just walk away without any major impact on your day to day life. Unless you live in a large urban center, you kind of need a car as your primary means of transport.

For example, selling your old car or maybe even being without a car for a while. Now the car you ordered is not the way you want, you're cornered into making a decision. On top of that, just to go pick your car up you'll need to have your bank draft, insurance etc. all set up only to find things are missing from the car. A lot of wasted time and effort. So yes technically "it's a choice" but I would say mentally you had committed to the car the moment you filled out the finance application or insurance info. Not really comparable to any typical product off the shelf.