Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passengers held hostage. Alarm sounds when doors unlocked from inside?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only had my MS for about 3 months now. The other day I was traveling with my family and arrived at a hotel. I went inside to get the room key and the family stayed outside in the car. I had the FOB in my pocket. The doors locked as they should when I walk away from the vehicle. My daughter unlocked the car from the screen, then opened the door to the surprise of the car alarm going off. Why would the car do this??? Certainly someone inside the car, unlocking through the touch screen, should be able to exit the car. Do Tesla's hold passengers hostage?

holding hostage is a bit of a stretch
any car with a similar alarm system will react the same way, the difference is that most other cars do not autolock like a tesla does. did you know that when you leave people behind in the locked cars all the systems will shut down. there are ways to leave passengers inside the car and hopefully others can offer the steps to do this in a way that your passengers that you left in the car don't become "hostages"

Think about it this way. Bad guy breaks your window (which doesn't trigger the alarm because there's not a sensor for glass breaking), then unlocks the car through the touch screen or by trying to open the door by reaching through the now broken window. You want the alarm to trigger in that situation. The car just doesn't have a way to tell the difference between your situation and one with less honorable intent.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I left my wife in our Model X at a Supercharger and walked into the restaurant to use the bathroom. She followed about two minutes later, setting off our car alarm. That was the only time it happened to us. Nearly every time we stop we have both our doors open. This one time she stayed in the car and all the doors were closed when I walked off, auto-locking the car. The alarm stopped before I got back to it, so it doesn't seem too persistent.

I also left my son in my old Porsche and accidentally locked it. As soon as he moved too much the alarm went off since it used motion detection in addition to door openings.

I think as long as your passengers don't open the doors they're in good shape. If they crack a door before it locks it's even better.

Happens with other cars too (auto-lock when walk away). The difference is that Tesla has a remote app that will alert you when the alarm goes off and then you can remotely unlock the car, assuming you know why the alarm went off in the first place.

I left my wife in our Model X at a Supercharger and walked into the restaurant to use the bathroom. She followed about two minutes later, setting off our car alarm. That was the only time it happened to us. Nearly every time we stop we have both our doors open. This one time she stayed in the car and all the doors were closed when I walked off, auto-locking the car. The alarm stopped before I got back to it, so it doesn't seem too persistent.

I also left my son in my old Porsche and accidentally locked it. As soon as he moved too much the alarm went off since it used motion detection in addition to door openings.

I think as long as your passengers don't open the doors they're in good shape. If they crack a door before it locks it's even better.
When your wife was left in the car, did she observe the screen, AC, and radio remained on, or did it all shut off?

We used to have software bug where the car wouldn’t sense the passenger and then it would act like you described, but it was fixed a few updates ago.

If the car knows there is someone seated in the passenger seat when it locks, there’s no justifiable reason it should trigger an alarm when that door is later opened from the inside. Obviously the person still in that seat from before it was locked is the one opening that door.

Sorry to slightly hijack this thread (but I think the OP's questions have been answered).

Why do the people here who use the car alarm use it? Has it ever been proven useful? Whenever I hear a car alarm going off, I ignore it. I've turned my alarm off since it doesn't seem to serve a useful purpose and only annoys people.

I guess I've never had an auto-locking car before, so this never was an issue. Always left it unlocked when people were still in the vehicle. Cracking the door when I exit and walk away is a good idea. I'll make sure the family does this next time. It also would prevent the AC from shutting down when the fob is out of range?

Funny thing is, despite hearing it, I ignored the alarm when checking into the hotel. My phone alerted me, but I didn't look at it until it was all done.