Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passing speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With nothing to do but google while I wait for my S, had a question about a P85...

Inside line claims that their MS did a 5-60 run (well, 1 foot rolling start) in 4.0s. For comparison sake, the 2013 M5 and 2012 Lambo Aventador do 5-60 in 4.6s and 4.3s respectively. Launch control (or the lack of LC needed, not to mention the TC/SC "penalty") makes a big difference...

I was getting curious though, in the real world I find myself wanting to pass when I want, instead of racing off the line. Anybody have any stats on what it takes a P85 to go from 45-65mph or 60-90mph? Not surprisingly, I haven't found a stat for it online. Can someone conduct a quick test for me?? If for no other reason, than inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.

a quick test? .. it is quick. Really quick.

Since there is no shifting and the power is always just there, use the 0-100 info and do the math yourself.
From the MT article (the first number is the 85, second is performance 85)
0-30 2.3; 1.7 sec
0-40 3.1; 2.4
0-50 4.0; 3.1
0-60 5.0; 4.0
0-70 6.1; 5.0
0-80 7.4; 6.3
0-90 8.9; 7.7

Also -- PASSING, 45-65 MPH 1.9; 1.7

Read more: 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S - Motor Trend

This is where the Model S excels the most. Instant response to passing acceleration request with impressive results.

and it's so fun. i get the most looks at this moment, zooming by someone lithely at 65-80 mph. my brother said more than one person has pulled alongside after a passing maneuver with their mouths agape... :)

(i'm not being rude, mind you, all very courteous driving behavior.. just, zippy.)

a quick test? .. it is quick. Really quick.

Since there is no shifting and the power is always just there, use the 0-100 info and do the math yourself.
From the MT article (the first number is the 85, second is performance 85)
0-30 2.3; 1.7 sec
0-40 3.1; 2.4
0-50 4.0; 3.1
0-60 5.0; 4.0
0-70 6.1; 5.0
0-80 7.4; 6.3
0-90 8.9; 7.7

Also -- PASSING, 45-65 MPH 1.9; 1.7

Read more: 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S - Motor Trend

Thanks! I've read the MT article 100 times, not sure how I missed the 45-56MPH test. I don't put a lot of stock into 0-60 times for cars other than the MS, since those are normally done with TC/SC off, launch control on, etc., and that isn't real life...

Funny you should ask... this afternoon I was coming up hill on a winding but fast road, having started off at lights at the bottom of the hill. Two lanes each way. Unfortunately there was a little something Japanese in front of me, with two young people (driver and passenger) turning around staring at me. Their car just wasn't very fast up the hill, so the cars in the other lane started off, and these guys went as fast as they could, up to about 45mph. Then there was finally a break in the right lane that they could fit into, so they moved over quickly, I'm pretty sure so that they could get another look at the BGC. So I floored it! I went from 45-85 in a few seconds, silently, and I could see their jaws drop. At the top of the hill it turned into suburban streets, so I slowed down, and a little while later they caught up, with big grins...

I was getting curious though, in the real world I find myself wanting to pass when I want, instead of racing off the line. Anybody have any stats on what it takes a P85 to go from 45-65mph or 60-90mph? Not surprisingly, I haven't found a stat for it online. Can someone conduct a quick test for me?? If for no other reason, than inquiring minds want to know.

Uh, yeah, I have to be really careful or I hit impound-the-car speeds in a blink of the eye. Seriously!

and I was honking?
(like a stolen car w/ it's alarm going... for safety)

....maybe I should delete my posts.. I'll just say passing speed is pretty good unless you're going 85, then it is just adequate.
(In reality, I don't pass at that speed )
How 'bout we just say this:
Passing at U.S. legal speeds is pretty good. At illegal speeds it's adequate.

Good enough for me.

Yes!.

Actually just tested the 65-90 passing on a Ford SVT pickup w/ the exhaust that dumps in front of the rear wheels. In my mirrors I could see the driver I had passed at ~65 was taking a picture so I slowed back a tiny bit to let him get a shot then floored it up to>90 ( a couple of secs) then moved to the slow lane and dropped back to ~68. He had tried to follow me, and was maybe taking video? Once he caught back up he gave a giant thumbs up with a lean through the passenger window!

makes me :biggrin:

Today was the first day I was able to have the Model S out on the highways (beltways, causeways and bridges in the Tampa area). Accelleration while already moving (on-ramps, passing, etc.) is the most fun. It's silent, smooth and if you don't pay attention, you'll be going much quicker than you think - literally without even knowing it. I too, went from 65 - 90 in what seemed like an instantaneous motion. No need to "put it to the floor" - simple modulation of the "go pedal" gives you great control of your speed. I've got 200 miles on the car and drving it feels completely natural now. When I get back in my Audi and let off the gas - the "coasting" and requirement to push the brake pedal feels odd. The shifting is so 20th century... The Model S is truely awesome.

No need to "put it to the floor" - simple modulation of the "go pedal" gives you great control of your speed. I've got 200 miles on the car and drving it feels completely natural now. When I get back in my Audi and let off the gas - the "coasting" and requirement to push the brake pedal feels odd. The shifting is so 20th century... The Model S is truely awesome.

That is what I call hitting the nail on the head. I think this is one of the reasons that a ride in a Model S doesn't always convince people, but a drive does. Most people have to drive the car before they get it. A EV is superior, you have greater control.