Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pay for internet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone just posted on Facebook that the internet subscription that is delivered with the car is only free for 3 years. This person just took delivery of his car in Norway a couple of days ago.
I thought the internet subscription was free since Tesla collects a ton of useful data. If we should start paying for it, how can we make sure that we can have the same functions in the car, but not sending tons of data for Tesla to collect that I am paying for....?

No one has had their data plan expire. Until this actually comes up, I’d not worry about it. Tesla could separate data from music, etc. But unless other apps and the browser are improved/added most of what we get is free music downloads. Not exactly a large data load.

Most suspect it will be free forever, at least on the S and X.

Internet is needed for items such as software updates, AP "shadow mode" reports back to Tesla, navigation destination searches, and display of the Google console maps. Since Tesla cars don't provide a WiFi hotspot or support video streaming, the amount of data used by customers (browser, and audio streaming) is probably relatively small compared to what Tesla is using.

At some point, Tesla will likely start charging for internet use - especially when they get FSD operating and the infotainment system evolves to provide more support for the passengers (video streaming, real browser, WiFi hotspot, ...).

Until then, since most of the data traffic is Tesla's and not customer, unclear if it's worthwhile for Tesla to rollout an internet plan and deal with some customers that decide not to purchase that plan.

Reactions: Galve2000
My personal speculation and opinion: Tesla will want to keep the data connectivity for all cars due to its value for telemetry, remote diagnostics, and other internal purposes. By saying that it's free for a certain period of time, they retain the option to charge users for it (in particular for infotainment features such as streaming audio). It's technically possible to have an arrangement where all cars have connectivity, but users have to pay extra to unlock that for user-facing features. That having been said, the amount of effort and expense involved in charging users is probably not worth whatever revenue they'd derive from it, so they might just leave it all free.

Bruce.

Reactions: Sandollars
From a Model S perspective at least, if Tesla ever start charging for it and those charges are unacceptable, you always have the option of providing it yourself with a portable WiFi box ("MiFi" or similar). Or indeed tethering to your phone.

Why do you say the speeds are capped? Because the browser is slow? It is just as slow when connect to my 300Mbps wifi network.
The traffic goes through Tesla's VPN (or whatever). If you do a speed test on LTE or wifi, you'll see that it maxes out way below what LTE and wifi are capable of. I can't remember the exact number but I think I get 3 Mbps whether I'm on LTE or 100 Mbps wifi.

The traffic goes through Tesla's VPN (or whatever). If you do a speed test on LTE or wifi, you'll see that it maxes out way below what LTE and wifi are capable of. I can't remember the exact number but I think I get 3 Mbps whether I'm on LTE or 100 Mbps wifi.
Agreed, but that really doesn't have anything to do with the LTE/3G connection.

I believe that for Model S owners Tesla said that it was free for four years starting Jan 1, 2014. So technically the free period has expired for some but I don't believe that they have started charging yet.

Someone just posted on Facebook that the internet subscription that is delivered with the car is only free for 3 years. This person just took delivery of his car in Norway a couple of days ago.
I thought the internet subscription was free since Tesla collects a ton of useful data. If we should start paying for it, how can we make sure that we can have the same functions in the car, but not sending tons of data for Tesla to collect that I am paying for....?

I just picked up my new 2018 yesterday. they told me 4 years. I have not heard of anyone getting charged so far. If they were, I am sure we would here about it here on the forum.

Mark