Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

pay to supercharge if you don't have access now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi guys, I have a model S but when I purchased it the supercharger wasn't included and it was an option. Since I don't do many long driving trips I decided not to include it. After today's announcement does that mean that I can pay to use the super chargers? I know cars that have the access don't need to pay anything and will still be unlimited but what about the ones that don't have access now?

Reactions: AEdennis
I don't have supercharger access now because I didn't order my car with it. So the question is can I just start paying as I use it or do I still don't have access to it since I didn't originally order my car or pay to unlock the access.
As @deonb said, right now we can't answer your question. The Tesla blog post said more details are coming soon. You are going to have to wait a bit for a definitive answer. If you ask your local showroom/service center I doubt they will know what to say to you, though they could make something up that would turn out to be wrong. So I counsel patience...

My assumption would be that you will continue to have the option to pay $2,500 to enable unlimited Supercharging and you would not be put into the new Supercharging credit program. That's just a wild guess though, we'll know more when additional details are released.

Reactions: Sousagil90D
My guess is that you would be allowed into the pay-as-you-go program. If your car doesn't have unlimited supercharging enabled, it's really no different than the cars rolling off the line in 2017.

edit: I mean, if Tesla has the choice of making $0 from you if they exclude you from the program, or $x (where $x>0) if they charge you as you need for supercharging, they'll probably choose the latter. Even if that means they have to give away 1000 miles of free supercharging to people in your position.

My guess is that you would be allowed into the pay-as-you-go program. If your car doesn't have unlimited supercharging enabled, it's really no different than the cars rolling off the line in 2017.

So you think that they are going to enable the DC Fast Charging hardware for free? Does that mean they will be able to use CHAdeMO chargers without having to pay to enable the hardware too?

My guess is that you will have to enable the hardware for $1,900 and then you get CHAdeMO and Supercharging, but the Supercharging would be under the new plan. (Where this could be a problem is that the car was ordered/delivered prior to 1/1/2017 so technically it falls under the unlimited plan, so maybe they will still require the $2,500 fee to enable it.)

:cool:
hi guys, I have a model S but when I purchased it the supercharger wasn't included and it was an option. Since I don't do many long driving trips I decided not to include it. After today's announcement does that mean that I can pay to use the super chargers? I know cars that have the access don't need to pay anything and will still be unlimited but what about the ones that don't have access now?

I don't have supercharger access now because I didn't order my car with it. So the question is can I just start paying as I use it or do I still don't have access to it since I didn't originally order my car or pay to unlock the access.

A good place to start would be to check your MyTesla page to see if you have the option to upgrade to supercharging.

upload_2016-11-7_9-47-16.png

Reactions: MP3Mike
So you think that they are going to enable the DC Fast Charging hardware for free? Does that mean they will be able to use CHAdeMO chargers without having to pay to enable the hardware too?

Yes, I do. Because the bulk of the $2000 fee for supercharging isn't really for the "hardware" (which is minimal, since the DC current essentially goes right into the battery), but rather it was to pay to build out the supercharger network and pre-pay for energy used. Maybe they'll have a nominal fee ($500) to "enable" the hardware (which is just a configuration change) and then pay-as-you-go for energy.

Yes, I do. Because the bulk of the $2000 fee for supercharging isn't really for the "hardware" (which is minimal, since the DC current essentially goes right into the battery), but rather it was to pay to build out the supercharger network and pre-pay for energy used. Maybe they'll have a nominal fee ($500) to "enable" the hardware (which is just a configuration change) and then pay-as-you-go for energy.

Then why do they charge $1,900 to enable the DC fast charging hardware so people can use the CHAdeMO adapter on the old 60s that haven't paid for Supercharging. ($600 less than enabling the hardware and Supercharging.)

I think the adapter is included in the $1900 fee, so that makes it $1450 for them to perform the software update for fast charging. Maybe that will be the fee for the old 60s?

It will probably stay $2k tho.