Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging for an Early Model S - Can't Tesla do the right thing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP...you received a ton of software updates for free over the years. Would you have rather paid as you go for those since they were not features of the car when you bought it? No other car company I'm aware of offers these "freebies". It's all about perspective...take the win.

Yeah. I think they were also confused too. That service line item looks like the inspection for damaged and totaled vehicles .
Yeah, I wish it was more descriptive, too open to interpretation , too much "wiggle room" to say I "assumed" too much. I often feel this way about work estimates, not just with Tesla, with many vendors. Put it in writing, I like to say. When things go south, vague language has a way to suddenly mean very different things to different people!

Sounds like its just a software switch but i'm not sure...
Edit: i think its a switch on Teslas side (not the same as salvage, switch they turn off in the car)

1707016043018.png

Tesla could easily drive revenue with a subscription model for updates for software and maps like every legacy car dealer does. I think you know that.

I can't speak to other manufacturers, as I don't own their products, but Ford currently doesn't charge for any updates on their vehicles that receive OTA updates.

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if Tesla eventually went that route. The PAYG SuC seems to be low hanging fruit in my opinion, even if they wanted to charge for it, I'd pay $400 for that feature, but not $2500. It seems to me that no second/third+ owner of a Model S 40 or 60 is going to pay that either. Tesla can do nothing and turn off a small subset of used buyers from their brand, or they can make a big stink about turning on this functionality and get some good PR, however small. I already pre-wrote the release for them, no charge. I think we all know that Tesla isn't the company it once was, and its stated goals don't always align to their actions.

Supercharging was a $2500 when these extreme-base models were sold.. No car company would offer a $2500 upgrade for 90% off just because it's a 2nd or 3rd owner that has the vehicle now. Because it's just software enabled, it seems more extreme than other similar situations.

Supercharging was a $2500 when these extreme-base models were sold.. No car company would offer a $2500 upgrade for 90% off just because it's a 2nd or 3rd owner that has the vehicle now. Because it's just software enabled, it seems more extreme than other similar situations.
Yeah. Agree. I'd sell and buy something else. Almost any other Model S will have supercharging. The difference in resale won't be very much.

You keep assuming I'm asking for FUSC, I'm not. I'm asking for PAYG, which wasn't a option in 2013. If $2,500 came with FUSC, its still crap value, but at least it would be the same upgrade as what was offered in 2013, and could be justified as such. That's just simply not the case.

Reactions: scgaskill
Yeah, I wish it was more descriptive, too open to interpretation , too much "wiggle room" to say I "assumed" too much. I often feel this way about work estimates, not just with Tesla, with many vendors. Put it in writing, I like to say. When things go south, vague language has a way to suddenly mean very different things to different people!

someone at the service center thinks you lost supercharger access due to an accident or the car being deemed a salvage. The battery inspection will allow them to 'reactivate' supercharging on a car that had it removed. Unfortunately, they will charge you for the inspection, tell you that your car is eligible for supercharger access, and then when they 'turn it on,' they'll be confused bc it will require you to purchase supercharger access for 2500 (or is it 12,000)... hope you can pull this off, though.. please keep us updated
Update: UNF@@CKING BELIEVABLE!!! Gaswalla, you nailed it! I got off the phone with the SC SM about 30 minutes ago and I'm furious! Apparently, my MS60 started out as a MS40 but at some point the original owner paid to remove the software lock and allow it to be a full MS60. ANCIENT F@@KING HISTORY!

I bought the car 4 months ago, and since Tesla doesn't let us know ANYTHING about a used vehicles previous history, maintenance, etc. I had no idea, nor do I care. I didn't buy a MS40, I bought a MS60. How it got to be an MS60 is irrelevant. But apparently, the "codes" or whatever never get updated and even 9 years later, they affect what I can now do.

As a refresher, I spoke with the same SM last week and told him specifically that I did NOT want to get exactly where we are now, that after the inspection they would tell me, like he did about 45 minutes ago, that enabling SuC would cost $12K in addition to the $800 battery inspection, oh and the $180 onboard gen1 charger inspection they tacked on today - except that I don't have a gen1 OBC I have a gen2, and I told them that a sent a picture I took about a month ago when I checked. The gen2 OBC inspection is actually $196, BTW.

I approved the OBC inspection, then got the call telling me that, oops, somebody thought that my car was a salvage which has SuC removed and they thought they were RE-ENABLING it. QNope, and because it started life as a MS40,even though it has been upgraded god knows how long ago, they have no option for PAYG SuC, only the F@@KING INSANE $12K FUSC option.

So again, at a second SC now, I find that Tesla doesn't do any due diligence and check out my specific vehicle and it's capabilities, they assume, make assumptions, and quote the wrong thing over and over. I told them last week that I didn't think it had EVER had SuC enabled but that didn't clue them into checking it.

He apologized and said if he had an option he would do it. I asked who I needed to escalate this to and he tried to make a joke that if I could reach Elon.... I asked him if he thought was funny, I sure as hell didn't!

He said they have Techs/Engineers? that come in at 8am that he would check with to see if there were any other options but that everything he and the normal tech had read is that there is no way to enable PAYG SuC because of the various set of options codes that the car was originally purchased with NINE YEARS AGO!!!! I asked it had always been a true MS60 would I be able to enable PAYG SuC and he said that it would depend on the rest of the option codes blah blah blah.... He assured me he would call me tomorrow late morning with what he learns from his Engineers.

I've got a better chance of buying a winning Powerball lottery ticket than in getting a satisfactory answer tomorrow.

I regret the day I ever bought this car and had to deal with this incompetent car company.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Update: UNF@@CKING BELIEVABLE!!! Gaswalla, you nailed it! I got off the phone with the SC SM about 30 minutes ago and I'm furious! Apparently, my MS60 started out as a MS40 but at some point the original owner paid to remove the software lock and allow it to be a full MS60. ANCIENT F@@KING HISTORY!

I bought the car 4 months ago, and since Tesla doesn't let us know ANYTHING about a used vehicles previous history, maintenance, etc. I had no idea, nor do I care. I didn't buy a MS40, I bought a MS60. How it got to be an MS60 is irrelevant. But apparently, the "codes" or whatever never get updated and even 9 years later, they affect what I can now do.

As a refresher, I spoke with the same SM last week and told him specifically that I did NOT want to get exactly where we are now, that after the inspection they would tell me, like he did about 45 minutes ago, that enabling SuC would cost $12K in addition to the $800 battery inspection, oh and the $180 onboard gen1 charger inspection they tacked on today - except that I don't have a gen1 OBC I have a gen2, and I told them that a sent a picture I took about a month ago when I checked. The gen2 OBC inspection is actually $196, BTW.

I approved the OBC inspection, then got the call telling me that, oops, somebody thought that my car was a salvage which has SuC removed and they thought they were RE-ENABLING it. QNope, and because it started life as a MS40,even though it has been upgraded god knows how long ago, they have no option for PAYG SuC, only the F@@KING INSANE $12K FUSC option.

So again, at a second SC now, I find that Tesla doesn't do any due diligence and check out my specific vehicle and it's capabilities, they assume, make assumptions, and quote the wrong thing over and over. I told them last week that I didn't think it had EVER had SuC enabled but that didn't clue them into checking it.

He apologized and said if he had an option he would do it. I asked who I needed to escalate this to and he tried to make a joke that if I could reach Elon.... I asked him if he thought was funny, I sure as hell didn't!

He said they have Techs/Engineers? that come in at 8am that he would check with to see if there were any other options but that everything he and the normal tech had read is that there is no way to enable PAYG SuC because of the various set of options codes that the car was originally purchased with NINE YEARS AGO!!!! I asked it had always been a true MS60 would I be able to enable PAYG SuC and he said that it would depend on the rest of the option codes blah blah blah.... He assured me he would call me tomorrow late morning with what he learns from his Engineers.

I've got a better chance of buying a winning Powerball lottery ticket than in getting a satisfactory answer tomorrow.

I regret the day I ever bought this car and had to deal with this incompetent car company.
BTW, I scheduled this service appointment last week and was quoted the Battery inspection. My appt was yesterday, Tuesday at 8:30am CST so do you think they would have someone who could do the work then? Later in the day when I inquired how it was coming I got a message saying that the were having a second shift senior tech do the work, and the estimated completion was set for today, Wednesday at 12:45pm CST.

I was busy with calls all day so at 3:45pm I again inquired how it was coming, hoping I could pickup the car today. I was told the second shift guy starts at 4:00pm and he would START looking at the car this afternoon, basically 2 days after I dropped it off yesterday morning. They did nothing yesterday or all day today. And you can see above how that turned out when they did finally decide to look at the car.

You keep assuming I'm asking for FUSC, I'm not. I'm asking for PAYG, which wasn't a option in 2013. If $2,500 came with FUSC, its still crap value, but at least it would be the same upgrade as what was offered in 2013, and could be justified as such. That's just simply not the case.
Gloff, see my update, it does not look good for us to get PAYG SuC. Tesla is so f@@ked up.

sorry bud, I understand you and you don't understand the history behind these cars that were sold for a loss only to meet a prior contractual agreement. Back in 2012/2013, supercharging was just supercharging... there was no pay-per-use supercharging and there were just a handful of SC sites. Elon even stated that 'it would be too complicated to charge people to use superchargers, so they will be without fees.'... obviously this changed over time, and FUSC became a desirable thing. Back to your rant: you are either asking for something that wasn't an option on that car (fee based supercharging) or asking for a discount on an option just because the car is old and you are far removed from the original sale. This gets complicated and irritating though bc if you sold the car to Tesla, they would activate fee-based supercharging and then resell (prob to auction) the car...

Right, now, instead of $2500 for FUSC they want $12,000. That's almost 5 TIMES the original cost. And they offer NO PAYG SuC option for any price.

I can only assume someone at Tesla decided that if we had FUSC we would use it x times a week and use xx kW of energy each time, and we'd do that for the next xx years so, to be profitable, FUSC should now cost TWELVE GRAND for my 9 year old MS60. Basically that I should buy 10 years worth of energy day-1.

sorry bud, I understand you and you don't understand the history behind these cars that were sold for a loss only to meet a prior contractual agreement. Back in 2012/2013, supercharging was just supercharging... there was no pay-per-use supercharging and there were just a handful of SC sites. Elon even stated that 'it would be too complicated to charge people to use superchargers, so they will be without fees.'... obviously this changed over time, and FUSC became a desirable thing. Back to your rant: you are either asking for something that wasn't an option on that car (fee based supercharging) or asking for a discount on an option just because the car is old and you are far removed from the original sale. This gets complicated and irritating though bc if you sold the car to Tesla, they would activate fee-based supercharging and then resell (prob to auction) the car...
Gaswalla, I can't speak for Geoff, but he and I are in more or less the same situation, and I really don't give a flying f--ck that Elon gave away too much FUSC and now wants to get rid of it, or sold budget models at a loss so he could get market share and brand recognition. He's now increasing the cost for FUSC almost five fold and giving us no PAYG SuC option.

I didn't know I needed to take a Tesla history lesson about how the car was sold 9 years ago in order to understand if I could or could not actually enable a feature.

Before I even bought my car, when I took it in to be inspected before I bought it, the SC told me I could enable SuC for $2500. That was not true. Whether or not it was intentional or just them assuming incorrectly without knowing what they were talking about, I'm now stuck with a car that, for all practical purposes, cannot be licensed for SuC. A car that does not have the range to go from the western suburbs of Chicago to the northern suburbs and back, without spending at least a couple hours at a destination charger.

I don't care about the ancient history of how we got here, the fact is there now IS PAYG SuC and for a small subset of owners we are not given any method of licensing it so we can actually PAYG. Tesla is opening the SuC network to non-Teslas while giving me the big middle finger.

I will never buy another Tesla again due to their terrible handling of this issue.

Reactions: gaswalla

I wish this wasn’t as entirely predictable as it ultimately was. 😂