Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paying for car without forking over my online banking creds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is why I only ever use my credit card for any purchases (paid off monthly) and only use my debit card for ATM withdrawals. My bank doesn't let me lock the card in the phone sadly.

Another useful tidbit, if you have an iPhone, get the new Apple Card credit card (really goldman sachs). The physical card does not have the number printed on it anywhere. You can only see the last four digits of it in the app. They give you a totally different number, that you can access in the app, to use for online purchases or any transaction where the card isn't physically used. If the online number is compromised, you can immediately deactivate it and get a brand new one in the app without losing use of the physical card and having to wait for a new one. If the card is compromised, the reverse is true. You don't lose access to the other number (though you'd still replace it in that case) for online and manually entered transactions. Every card should work this way.
I will look into the Apple Card credit card (Apple sends me periodically sends me offers.)

I was told I could NOT pay by personal check. Not a huge inconvenience. Not sure what dictates what they use to decide who can pay by what method. Very strange.

not uncommon for there to often be disconnects between SA's and SC employees, and actual documented Tesla policy. I double checked with a Sales Center manager, and here is the quote:

What you can do to pay which is easiest, is on delivery day or before you can login to your Tesla account and pay via ACH. Super easy and you don’t have to worry about a check. However you can also bring a personal check if you prefer.

not uncommon for there to often be disconnects between SA's and SC employees, and actual documented Tesla policy. I double checked with a Sales Center manager, and here is the quote:

What you can do to pay which is easiest, is on delivery day or before you can login to your Tesla account and pay via ACH. Super easy and you don’t have to worry about a check. However you can also bring a personal check if you prefer.
You can pay by personal check but you should avoid having checks that show your checking account number and your bank routing information in circulation. All it takes is for someone to take a photo of the front of your check and they have everything they need for an unauthorized ACH debit transaction. According to my bank, the person stealing the check information is usually just freelancing. They upload the check photos to an anonymous drop box and get paid maybe $25 per check image. The actual ACH fraud is executed by a fraud ring. $25 to the person that stole your check information and your checking world is totally screwed.

These days I only use my personal checking account checks when absolutely necessary, i.e. when sending payments to the US Treasury, State Comptroller and Property Taxes. I won't even write a personal check to my sister in case the check is stolen out of the mail. Online bill pay is much safer way to pay by check; may take a few more days for the check to be sent and received.

You can pay by personal check but you should avoid having checks that show your checking account number and your bank routing information in circulation. All it takes is for someone to take a photo of the front of your check and they have everything they need for an unauthorized ACH debit transaction. According to my bank, the person stealing the check information is usually just freelancing. They upload the check photos to an anonymous drop box and get paid maybe $25 per check image. The actual ACH fraud is executed by a fraud ring. $25 to the person that stole your check information and your checking world is totally screwed.

These days I only use my personal checking account checks when absolutely necessary, i.e. when sending payments to the US Treasury, State Comptroller and Property Taxes. I won't even write a personal check to my sister in case the check is stolen out of the mail. Online bill pay is much safer way to pay by check; may take a few more days for the check to be sent and received.
Not to mention there are so many easier ways to send money to someone now. I use cash.app for that all the time. But connected to a completely separate checking account only for that purpose and which I only deposit money into when I need to use the cash.app Handy to have when someone wants to send you money too.

Not to mention there are so many easier ways to send money to someone now. I use cash.app for that all the time. But connected to a completely separate checking account only for that purpose and which I only deposit money into when I need to use the cash.app Handy to have when someone wants to send you money too.
Good to know. Some of the online payment services have transaction amount limits and/or daily amount limits to help limit losses and liability in the event your account is hacked.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
I was able to pay with a cashier's check when I picked up my Y... Gave it to them after I inspected the car. They told me that they were not taking personal check or credit card for payment. They said they will just refund me if there's any changes on my loan and if the amount on the check is more. Or will contact me if I owed more.

Seems like OP was worried about Plaid -- just wanted to say that it is easy to bypass Plaid and pay by ACH. I'm sure everyone knows that, but in case someone stumbles across this thread, here is how:

In the list of banks, just say yours is not listed. Then it will set up a plain old ACH, and you do not need to disclose your online banking credentials.

That's what I did.

• Informative
Reactions: CleverUsername
Seems like OP was worried about Plaid -- just wanted to say that it is easy to bypass Plaid and pay by ACH. I'm sure everyone knows that, but in case someone stumbles across this thread, here is how:

In the list of banks, just say yours is not listed. Then it will set up a plain old ACH, and you do not need to disclose your online banking credentials.

That's what I did.

I am in this boat today, Saturday. Not going to give my password to nobody, sorry. Model Y delivery is tomorrow, Sunday. Got my payment info after 1pm when BofA branches closed, so no cashiers check. BofA wire transfer also won't happen till Monday.

On my account page, if I click out of Plaid, it says OK, follow the alternative instructions on the last page of the Purchase Agreement, i.e. wire xfer.

So I am not finding what you describe as "just say yours is not listed", and no place to "set up a plain old ACH". Maybe I'm missing the right back door. I've tried to call the numbers in to the Tesla store, but they seldom answer the phone, and give different answers every time they do answer.

Plaid is a dumb solution to a simple problem of getting accurate ACH info to Tesla. Ask yourself if Musk would give you his account password. He may be a wild man, but he is way far from stupid. Experian seemed safe to have all our info - till it wasn't. Mostly, Plaid contradicts rule one in security - don't even write down your passwords. It might actually never get hacked, but it teaches what is a dangerous habit.

SW

Reactions: Chi_Guy
I have delivery of a Y scheduled for the 30th. My Tesla account is now nagging me to complete payment.

Unfortunately, it appears the only way payment is accepted is by "Plaid", which tries to reassure me with some generic fluff about FULLY ENCRYPTED COMMUNICATIONS then expects me to fork over my login credentials for my bank's web site.

No thank you. Not handing those to some 3rd party intermediary (no, I wouldn't give them directly to Tesla either). Certainly not signing up to some click-through agreement dramatically limiting my options for recovery if they lose or misuse those credentials, either. What a ridiculous expectation just to pay for a car.

Is it still possible to pay Tesla by wire transfer? That's what I did when I bought my S 5 years ago. How would I even ask? I haven't talked to a human being about this purchase since the day I test drove, and when I call the local showroom/service center, I don't get anyone on the phone...

10000% correct. You should NEVER EVER give anyone credentials like that. Tesla are out of their mind to even work with such an outfit.

Reactions: Yoonoo and Chi_Guy
Why not use Plaid for payment and then change your bank password the next day?
What data does Plaid access from my financial institution?

At your direction and with your consent, we access information from your financial institution if you choose to connect your financial accounts through the Plaid Portal, or if you use Plaid to connect your accounts to your apps. Unless you provide your consent for Plaid to establish these connections, Plaid does not access your financial data.

The types of data that Plaid accesses and shares with your apps depend on the particular connections you’ve established, the specific Plaid services used to power your connected apps, and the information made available by your financial institution. This information may include, for example, your:
  • Account holder information: name, address, phone number, and email address, as held by your bank or other financial institution;
  • Account transactions: amount, date, type, and a description of the transaction; and
  • Account details: account name, account type, account and routing numbers, and balance.
Please note that the data collected from your financial accounts includes information from all your accounts (e.g., checking, savings, and credit card) accessible through a single set of account credentials. By creating a Plaid Portal account, you can see the types of data that Plaid has shared with your connected apps.

The convenient way to manage your financial data | Plaid

So I am not finding what you describe as "just say yours is not listed", and no place to "set up a plain old ACH".

It’s been a few weeks now so I do not remember exactly how I did it. But I don’t believe I ever clicked out of plaid.

The first step in the flow was to select your bank from a list. So I selected “my bank is not listed” (even though it was.). It may have been worded differently.

At that point, it said something like “That’s OK we can still do this” and then prompted me for the account number and routing number. (It never said “plain old ACH” that was just my explanation of what it did.)

No online banking credentials were required.

Last edited:
It’s been a few weeks now so I do not remember exactly how I did it. But I don’t believe I ever clicked out of plaid.

The first step in the flow was to select your bank from a list. So I selected “my bank is not listed” (even though it was.). It may have been worded differently.

At that point, it said something like “That’s OK we can still do this” and then prompted me for the account number and routing number. (It never said “plain old ACH” that was just my explanation of what it did.)

No online banking credentials were required.

I picked up my Mdl Y yesterday, Sunday 12/13. Paid by personal check. All is well.

Longer version: I was not able to pre-pay or talk with anyone on the phone or email in advance. The delivery folks had not previously seen the current alternative payment screen which spawned when I closed the Plaid popup. The alternative payments were all impossible on the week end. When I explained that I would not and no-one should give their bank login and password, she went away for ~20 minutes to talk with "finance". I went out and inspected the car. She came back and said a personal check would be OK, so that was the deal. I don't know yet if they took ACH numbers off the check or just deposited it, but my account changed to Paid and I "Accepted" the vehicle on my account page. Immediately the app showed the car, and so off we went.

In retrospect, every time I spoke with a Tesla person, I got a different answer. But I figured they mostly wanted to get the deal done and would go with a full-pop personal check. Which they did. Wasn't as quick as if I had pre-paid, but it worked.

SW

Plaid is how you set up nerd wallet finance. An app used by many people without a single hitch.

Every thing is secure, until it isn't. Not NSA, Homland Security, Exprian, DOD, Home Depot, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. Really, letting an online company have your bank password is not a good idea. Plaid says they use Two Factor ID to secure their data, but read today about how TFA failed due to a Outllook Web Access bug. Plaid may never get hacked, but it sure makes an attractive target for them who might try, and some are very, very good at it. Worse yet, convincing naive consumers to do so degrades their caution with other. potentially unscurpulous entities.

Tesla yesterday accepted my personal check for full payment. I don't know yet wether they ran it as ACH or just deposited it, tomorrow I'll know. It was a Sunday, and BofA said a wire transfer or ACH originated by me would not go till Monday. They and I both wanted the deal to happen, so it did, old school. It took maybe an extra half hour, but Dublin was OK with it.

SW

URGENT: It seems like people on here have used the wire transfer option. I was told that I could do a wire transfer by my SA for weeks and I had everything set up. Supposed to do the pick up today but didn't have a link or email to pay for the down payment. After several calls to the delivery center and them figuring out that someone dropped the ball, they finally send me all the docs etc to sign and the link to pay. This was 15 mins before my pick up time. I go in and I'm only getting Plaid as an option. I can't do plaid because I set this up for a wire transfer weeks ago. Aka I sent the needed money to a trading acct where I can do the wire transfer from. Delivery center tells me I can't do a wire transfer. I have to use plaid. I'm livid. I have had to move a lot of things around for this and they tell me this at the 11th hr?????

My SA said I should be able to do wire txfr. He's looking into it. Does anyone have the info for a wire transfer please? I need to do this ASAP. You can DM me or please post it on here. Thank you.