Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paying for SuC after buying privately (far from home)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to find an answer to this but was not able to, apologies if this is a common newby question.

I'm getting close to buying a used Tesla (S or 3). Prices in Seattle where I live are pretty high, I can often find better deals 500-1000 miles away, which means a fly and drive purchase.

How would I pay for Supercharging on the drive home, given that it takes Tesla a while to transfer the ownership of the car and to activate my account? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

It’ll still be on the seller’s account for a little while, so I’d try to work something out with the seller. A smart private seller would set it up so it’s the only car on an account, and give you the login. Or you could buy a prepaid card and he could add it to his account. Or you could budget $x supercharging into the purchase and agree that she’ll bill you for anything over that.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Yeah, those would all work as long as everyone trusts each other (which I'm fine with, but some people aren't). Was just hoping there was some other way to pay that didn't require an account to be active.

Thanks.

Yeah, those would all work as long as everyone trusts each other (which I'm fine with, but some people aren't). Was just hoping there was some other way to pay that didn't require an account to be active.

Thanks.
Quite honestly I wouldn't think this way. Tesla community is a tight bunch and while you have assholes with Telsas most of us aren't assholes to each other. Give them the benefit of the doubt, at least becuase they were smart enough to buy a Tesla in the first place.

In the end the worst case would be to use something other than a Supercharger and just pay that with your own account... oh wait you probably want to be home within a week.

Reactions: Bacalao
In the end the worst case would be to use something other than a Supercharger and just pay that with your own account... oh wait you probably want to be home within a week.

This goal could be accomplished with Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter. Of course, that costs $450, so unless you wanted to buy one anyhow, that's not a good option. (OTOH, it is possible to borrow or rent one in some areas, so maybe this would work.) The problem with this solution is that the Tesla will most likely be linked to an account (probably the old owner's) while the new owner drives home, so the new owner could use Tesla Superchargers even if the new owner showed up waving a CHAdeMO adapter and claiming it would be used. Thus, trust -- or at least lack of concern over the charging costs for the road trip home -- would still be involved.

Seems to me they can just put a different CC into the account. So, put yours into the account and your card gets charged. Might need to change the password also. Probably already back home judging from the original date.
If you're going to do that, buy a prepaid card with $50 on it or however much you think you'll need for the trip home and use that until the account is fully transferred over. If Tesla is slow in making the switch, you can always add some more cash to the card if it's needed. This will also limit the possible extent of the damages should the original seller do something dumb with the card info you uploaded.

If you're going to do that, buy a prepaid card with $50 on it or however much you think you'll need for the trip home and use that until the account is fully transferred over. If Tesla is slow in making the switch, you can always add some more cash to the card if it's needed. This will also limit the possible extent of the damages should the original seller do something dumb with the card info you uploaded.
Good idea!