Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're not required to pay it before your delivery date. In fact, many people on this forum have recommended to not submit your payment online but rather to bring the payment with you and only hand it to the DA after you've inspected the vehicle. With that being said, before I knew any better, when I picked up my first M3 this past September, the DA told me that I was required to sign the paperwork and hand him the check before he would show me to my car.

You're not required to pay it before your delivery date. In fact, many people on this forum have recommended to not submit your payment online but rather to bring the payment with you and only hand it to the DA after you've inspected the vehicle. With that being said, before I knew any better, when I picked up my first M3 this past September, the DA told me that I was required to sign the paperwork and hand him the check before he would show me to my car.

When giving this advice, its really (really) important to qualify it for the state you are in. In "most" states, this is accurate, but NOT in "ALL" states. Some states have actual laws that do not allow a car manufacturer to sell a car directly to an end user. Doing a quick google search on which states do not allow tesla to sell direct ( and thus would REQUIRE a person to pay in advance because tesla has to receive payment to then just "truck" a car to the person, not sell to them in that state):

===========================
Where Tesla is banned
It’s hard to pin down exactly how many states truly don’t want Tesla to open dealerships. Sixteen states have laws on the books that would prevent that, but Tesla hasn’t challenged those laws yet in some of them. More on that in a moment.

Here are those states: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Texas.

Then there are nine states that limit the number of dealerships Tesla can open: Colorado (limit: one), North Carolina (one), Virginia (two), Georgia (five), Maryland (four), New Jersey (four), New York (five), Ohio (three), Pennsylvania (five). (These totals don’t count the “galleries” that Tesla has opened in some states, where you can see the cars and ask questions—but you can’t even discuss buying one.
=========================

So, the answer to "Do I have to pay in advance" is really " it depends on what state you live in".

• Helpful
Reactions: Elle_H2
When giving this advice, its really (really) important to qualify it for the state you are in. In "most" states, this is accurate, but NOT in "ALL" states. Some states have actual laws that do not allow a car manufacturer to sell a car directly to an end user. Doing a quick google search on which states do not allow tesla to sell direct ( and thus would REQUIRE a person to pay in advance because tesla has to receive payment to then just "truck" a car to the person, not sell to them in that state):

===========================
Where Tesla is banned
It’s hard to pin down exactly how many states truly don’t want Tesla to open dealerships. Sixteen states have laws on the books that would prevent that, but Tesla hasn’t challenged those laws yet in some of them. More on that in a moment.

Here are those states: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Texas.

Then there are nine states that limit the number of dealerships Tesla can open: Colorado (limit: one), North Carolina (one), Virginia (two), Georgia (five), Maryland (four), New Jersey (four), New York (five), Ohio (three), Pennsylvania (five). (These totals don’t count the “galleries” that Tesla has opened in some states, where you can see the cars and ask questions—but you can’t even discuss buying one.
=========================

So, the answer to "Do I have to pay in advance" is really " it depends on what state you live in".

OP is in NJ.

OP is in NJ.

Yes, they are, but people make blanket statements saying "You dont have to pay in advance" because they read that here, no matter where the person asking is. Case in point, just recently, @Cronn mentioned he was told he had to pay in advance and got advice that "he didnt have to" but he is in texas where, you indeed have to.

I am just mentioning that, before people make a blanket statement of " you dont have to pay ahead" that some qualifying information (like "you are in New jersey, you dont have to pay ahead of time") be added to that advice.

Yes, they are, but people make blanket statements saying "You dont have to pay in advance" because they read that here, no matter where the person asking is. Case in point, just recently, @Cronn mentioned he was told he had to pay in advance and got advice that "he didnt have to" but he is in texas where, you indeed have to.

I am just mentioning that, before people make a blanket statement of " you dont have to pay ahead" that some qualifying information (like "you are in New jersey, you dont have to pay ahead of time") be added to that advice.

Hence

If you’re taking delivery at a Tesla location, you can pay by personal check at delivery.

For home deliveries and states where Tesla does not operate delivery locations, the "appointment" on the website will be for the day the car is ready to be paid for and handed over to the third party carrier that will perform the real delivery. So technically, you can still pay on the day of "delivery" as listed on the Tesla website if you live in Texas.

Hence

For home deliveries and states where Tesla does not operate delivery locations, the "appointment" on the website will be for the day the car is ready to be paid for and handed over to the third party carrier that will perform the real delivery. So technically, you can still pay on the day of "delivery" as listed on the Tesla website if you live in Texas.
I am taking delivery today via carrier direct in a state Tesla cannot sell cars in. They would not actually schedule my delivery until they had received a wire transfer. I am not sure if you can, in practice, pay on the day of the delivery.

You were not the person I quoted making the blanket statement

Fair enough.

I am taking delivery today via carrier direct in a state Tesla cannot sell cars in. They would not actually schedule my delivery until they had received a wire transfer. I am not sure if you can, in practice, pay on the day of the delivery.
Did you have a delivery appointment with an earlier date at an out-of state location listed under your account on the website? I did a home delivery for my second car, they gave me an appointment at one of the locations in my state and explained that this was for technical reasons and the car will be delivered some time after the appointment date. I paid via an EFT on the date of that appointment and then the car went onto the car carrier the next day. However, I do live in a state where Tesla is allowed direct sales at a limited number of locations - albeit none near me. I'm curious whether the process is the same in states with no locations.

Fair enough.

Did you have a delivery appointment with an earlier date at an out-of state location listed under your account on the website? I did a home delivery for my second car, they gave me an appointment at one of the locations in my state and explained that this was for technical reasons and the car will be delivered some time after the appointment date. I paid via an EFT on the date of that appointment and then the car went onto the car carrier the next day. However, I do live in a state where Tesla is allowed direct sales at a limited number of locations - albeit none near me. I'm curious whether the process is the same in states with no locations.
My Manage page basically never updated until yesterday. Prior to that, I received the VIN and MVPA documentation via email only. Now I show a vin and a delivery appointment for today at 10:30am!

• Informative
Reactions: ilyak
I would STRONGLY suggest you not sign the paperwork or pay for the car until after you have had the chance to review it.

I also see that you’re in NJ. I had a TERRIBLE attempted pick up experience at the Springfield NJ site. The car at Springfield was damaged, had been driven rather than trailered from another state, etc etc.

I then purchased a new stealth from the Paramus, NJ site a week later and had a much better final experience.