Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment in full

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a different question and makes more sense than your other one. It varies. There's no set pattern. Sometimes they match your order to a car already built, sometimes they build you one and it takes longer.

You are probably feeling some Teslanxiety for the anticipation of your delivery. Like waiting for Christmas when you were a kid. Just sit back and embrace the feeling, its a good warm feeling, and it will be gone too quickly. Ride the wave.

How you pay is unlikely to have any bearing whatsoever on when your VIN is assigned.

They screwed up my contract and I didn't end up sending payment until around a month after receiving the car. They didn't even ask... I know it says they won't deliver the car until they receive payment, but they didn't even ask about payment before delivering my car.

My brother had his car financed through them, and they ended up giving him a title without a lien on it. They have some room to improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Putttt and Akikiki
And you have not paid in full if you don't have a VIN because they have not completed the paperwork to finalize the purchase. So, in your first post you were not saying you had paid, correct?

Nope, I am at the “We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment.” stage and trying to get a gauge on how long it will take before it turns into please pay the payment in full, to here goes your delivery date.

Well, that's info that could have clearly been shared with your first question. "Get yo money ready, else they would not be warning you that it close" time.

LoL I didn’t want to write a whole paragraph.. just getting a gist of those who are still waiting.. seems some people are waiting over a month and nothing, when it suggest a 2 weeks wait.

It ranges wildly. Some people take delivery same day they have VIN assignment. For me it was about 3 weeks from VIN assignment to vehicle delivery. They never told me I could pay, and never asked for payment. The questions I asked about payment before delivery went unanswered. But I did home delivery, which is a whole hot mess. I think it was around 3 months from ordering to VIN assignment for me, and then a few weeks to transport it across the country and arrange delivery. At no point did they provide any feedback. I just suddenly got a VIN one day, and then a dozen phone calls to make sure I had all the paperwork signed IMMEDIATELY.

Reactions: Putttt
I would never give Tesla any money until I fully inspected the car. Paying them before you go to the delivery center for a pre-purchase inspection is a recipe for disaster. Just because they ask you to do so does not mean you have to. You can complete the payment in minutes on their website or you can physically bring a bank check if you are doing a loan. But if you end up rejecting the car the last thing you want to be doing is chasing Tesla for a refund.

Reactions: ZumZee and Putttt
Has anyone made a full payment and not received a delivery date? Or are most still stuck in “We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment.”
My IDA told me since I did Home Delivery, they won't ship my car from Fremont, until it's PIF! I told him it made sense to me that once the car reached the local Delivery Center, that I'd get the check from my Credit Union and then give the check to the driver. That's when I realized the driver was a 3rd-party, not employed by Tesla, so I had to wire the funds to Tesla's SF office.

The wire went out on Nov 29th, last year, and I got the car on Dec 13th. My IDA was annoying, only used email, and never explained things well.

My IDA told me since I did Home Delivery, they won't ship my car from Fremont, until it's PIF! I told him it made sense to me that once the car reached the local Delivery Center, that I'd get the check from my Credit Union and then give the check to the driver. That's when I realized the driver was a 3rd-party, not employed by Tesla, so I had to wire the funds to Tesla's SF office.

The wire went out on Nov 29th, last year, and I got the car on Dec 13th. My IDA was annoying, only used email, and never explained things well.

This is exactly why I tell people to never do home delivery unless it’s the only option available to you.

Reactions: KenC