Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment Method now on Tesla's My Tesla Page [Since Removed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there is an empty slot available at all times then you should be able to leave your car.
The question becomes. How can drivers be alerted (via phone app or whatever) that "There are no more slots available" when the time comes? That's not for me/us to tackle.
I still believe its ok to park for as long as you like if there is an open stall.
Your position is unsupportable. You want to take up a Supercharger stall long after you are done charging. Obviously you are not sitting in your car during that lengthy time when you car is sitting in a stall not charging. Your car is unoccupied. It is blocking other Teslas from charging. But you think it is your right to do that and it is Tesla's problem to inform other Tesla owners headed towards the Supercharger you are at that there are no stalls available. Are you serious?

You have no right to do that. Supercharger stalls are for charging. They are not for parking your Tesla for extended periods of time while it is not charging.

I note that you do not currently own a Tesla. You have a Model 3 reservation. You have never used a Supercharger so you have no real world experience dealing with Supercharger overcrowding.

SC are not meant to leave your car over night. Thats why they are Super Chargers so you can charge fast and be on your way. It makes no sense to me to leave your car plugged in overnight if your car will be fully charged in an hour or so.

Now destination chargers at hotels is a different story. I have no problems with owners leaving their cars overnight there and if theres a car already using one I wouldnt trip. Someone left a note on mine when I got to my car the next morning on a L2 charger, but to me all those hotel ones are first come first serve.

If there is an empty slot available at all times then you should be able to leave your car.

The question becomes. How can drivers be alerted (via phone app or whatever) that "There are no more slots available" when the time comes? That's not for me/us to tackle.

I still believe its ok to park for as long as you like if there is an open stall.
That would be the same as parking at a gas station spot all day. Even if there are other spots available it is still rude, selfish, and a good way to get your car towed.

• Helpful
Reactions: fallen888 and Troy
... ICEing is and still will be a problem (until towing or expensive tickets become ubiqitous, and even after there will be some who are ignorant or who are just assholes, as with handicapped parking now), and just because a Tesla isn't charging in a spot doesn't mean the spot is available. It isn't a parking spot. Move your car.
The problem with this approach is it won't detect when the "open" SC has been ICE'd. The one time I went to visit my local SC (just to have a look), there was a truck with a trailer parked sideways across all of the stalls (it's located behind a hotel).
If most of the SCs are on private property Tesla should work with the property owners to establish a some sort of signage and mandatory towing to prevent this. Signs and warnings posted are great but nothing gets someones attention like having their car towed. There are plenty of jerks out there who will do it just out of sheer assholeness. And I know I'd be pretty pissed if I got to an SC in the middle of a road trip and couldn't charge because some jerk had there truck blocking all the stalls.

Simple. Whenever I leave my car unattended (for any period of time), I leave my cell phone number large and clearly readable in the windshield. If anyone needs to reach me, they can for whatever reason.

Your position is unsupportable. You want to take up a Supercharger stall long after you are done charging. Obviously you are not sitting in your car during that lengthy time when you car is sitting in a stall not charging. Your car is unoccupied. It is blocking other Teslas from charging. But you think it is your right to do that and it is Tesla's problem to inform other Tesla owners headed towards the Supercharger you are at that there are no stalls available. Are you serious?

You have no right to do that. Supercharger stalls are for charging. They are not for parking your Tesla for extended periods of time while it is not charging.

I note that you do not currently own a Tesla. You have a Model 3 reservation. You have never used a Supercharger so you have no real world experience dealing with Supercharger overcrowding.

If there are always 5 stalls available while I'm there....what's the problem? Who am I blocking IF there is a stall available the whole time I'm there?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jaff and Troy
SC are not meant to leave your car over night. Thats why they are Super Chargers so you can charge fast and be on your way. It makes no sense to me to leave your car plugged in overnight if your car will be fully charged in an hour or so.

Now destination chargers at hotels is a different story. I have no problems with owners leaving their cars overnight there and if theres a car already using one I wouldnt trip. Someone left a note on mine when I got to my car the next morning on a L2 charger, but to me all those hotel ones are first come first serve.
I believe that's fair also.

If there are always 5 stalls available while I'm there....what's the problem? Who am I blocking IF there is a stall available the whole time I'm there?

Because you have no idea if that will remain true. Hell, you had a real world example where several people got absolutely screwed by inconsiderate Tesla owners at Mt Shasta pointed out to you. What if six Teslas show up in quick succession sometime while you're parked there for hours? What if the spots get ICEd and the super chargers aren't accessible? Even if people leave their numbers, that's still time wasted (assuming the people who get there see the number at all) while they have to park, get out of their car, search your car for a number, call or text, hope you answer, and then wait for you to get your ass back to move your car when it should have been moved hours ago already. And what happens if you're sleeping? Hank says he keeps his phone on and will answer at any time of night, which may be true or not -and I seriously doubt he can honestly say he's never missed or ignored a call ever - but that certainly isn't true of everyone.

Tesla super chargers are a shared resource. They aren't your personal parking space.

Because you have no idea if that will remain true. Hell, you had a real world example where several people got absolutely screwed by inconsiderate Tesla owners at Mt Shasta pointed out to you. What if six Teslas show up in quick succession sometime while you're parked there for hours? What if the spots get ICEd and the super chargers aren't accessible? Even if people leave their numbers, that's still time wasted (assuming the people who get there see the number at all) while they have to park, get out of their car, search your car for a number, call or text, hope you answer, and then wait for you to get your ass back to move your car when it should have been moved hours ago already. And what happens if you're sleeping? Hank says he keeps his phone on and will answer at any time of night, which may be true or not -and I seriously doubt he can honestly say he's never missed or ignored a call ever - but that certainly isn't true of everyone.

Tesla super chargers are a shared resource. They aren't your personal parking space.
I agree with what you are saying.

However, I have a question.

IF 5 stations are always available... would you have a problem with someone being parked there - charging?

which may be true or not -and I seriously doubt he can honestly say he's never missed or ignored a call ever - but that certainly isn't true of everyone.

Yes, I can honestly say that. When my businesses -- which are just me mind you, nobody else -- depends on me being available 24x7 to handle any issues, I damn well better answer the phone or text or page, or thousands of people get pissed and revenue is lost.

I agree with what you are saying.

However, I have a question.

IF 5 stations are always available... would you have a problem with someone being parked there - charging?

Charging? Of course not. If you need to charge, charge. It's when your car is done charging and it's sitting there while you're treating a super charger spot as a parking spot that people have a problem with.

Reactions: Jaff
Charging? Of course not. If you need to charge, charge. It's when your car is done charging and it's sitting there while you're treating a super charger spot as a parking spot that people have a problem with.
Charging or not charging.

I guess you answered my question. I just don't understand why someone would have a problem with what I'm doing - as it doesn't interfere with what you want to do.
No one is being harmed.
Nothing is being destroyed.

• Disagree
10 ICE gas stalls open. One person parked forever at one of them. You come in. Pull up to one of the stalls open. Get your gas. And leave.
Why would you be concerned about that guy that is still there?

...I have no words for how stupid that scenario is. Is this something you actually do right now or have witnessed? Then that means we need Tesla to implement and enforce idle time fees even more, because if there are jackasses idiotic enough to think its okay to treat pumps at gas stations as parking spots, then there's no hope that mere education would be enough to stop people from using EV charging spots as the same.

Reactions: Jaff
Why doesn't anyone ever answer any questions? All people here want to do is to call things stupid and stuff.

I don't understand why everyone in the world is worried about what everyone else is doing - even if it doesn't interfere with their life or objectives.

To answer your question: Yes. I've seen ICE cars at the pump when I arrived. And they were there when I left. I don't know if they were in the store, in the bathroom, or at a restaurant down the street. I didn't care because they didn't stop me from getting my gas. And I left.

Last edited: