TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Payment Method now on Tesla's My Tesla Page [Since Removed]

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ElectricPi, Aug 27, 2016.

1. ElectricPi

ElectricPi New Member

I logged in this morning to Tesla's My Tesla page to see if anything had changed concerning my Model 3 order.

There is now a Payment section to add Credit Card information for future purchases.

I'll have to see if I can raise my credit card limit now :)

2. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Haha, I don't think I'll ever have a credit limit that high. Might be useful for a deposit though!

3. 3Victoria

3Victoria Member

4. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Could it be to enable "pay as you go" supercharging? This is exactly who some have predicted it will be if they go that route.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  5. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Nooo, don't even say that... :eek:

• Funny x 1
  6. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Nice catch, OP! I actually just bought the newly re-released 14-30 adapter, so I could have used this feature.

But I do wonder if this is supercharging related. Maybe pay-per-use or maybe subscription plans.

7. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

It makes sense for Tesla to try to reduce the cost of the Model S to win over Model 3 reservation holders.

Maybe Tesla could drop the 60 kWh Model S down to 62k USD before insentives, and charge something like 40 USD/month or 50 cents/minute for supercharging.

8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

That would be one way to start to change the paradigm - lower the price of the S/X so people feel like they get something in return for the loss of free for life supercharging.

I wonder, though, if they will ever have to remove free for life supercharging from new S/X cars. Odds are, once the 3/Y come out, the S/X will become much lower in overall sales numbers. Much more in line with the upper end cars of othe brands and a volume they can manage for unlimited supercharging. (My theory being there is a large subset of S buyers who stretched their normal car buying habits to get one, and if a 3 had been available they would have just bought that instead)

• Informative x 1
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Strikes me as way too early for the CC payment option to have anything to do with M3 or supercharging.
    I'll guess that it is meant to ease the $5000 down payment for people without the cash sitting in their checking account today.

10. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

The same thing appears on my Model S dashboard so it seems to be a site-wide addition.

11. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

There is no need for hinky poo-poo SC payment schemes. If people want poo-poo, let them use ChaDeMos.

Even the "deluge" of Model 3s has been misconstrued.

Again:

2/3 of homes in the US have garages
    97% of the SC network is congestion-free.
    The other 3% is generally fine as well.
    Half the 500,000 Model 3s will go overseas.
    A significant number of Model 3s won't even have SCing enabled as most people don't leave a 75-mile radius around their homes.
    California will have the most Model 3s (some say up to 30%-40% of domestic production) and coincidentally has the best infrastructure.
    And each state on average, net of those in CA, can't absorb an extra 3,000 cars/year?

There's no need for poo-poo in the States. Testing it in places like Hong Kong would be interesting.

And let's not forget that the entire SC network has essentially been paid for with ZEV credits. The MGM's recent purchase of $20M worth will pay for 60 SCs right there.

Most SvCs will have public SCs.

And the reasons go on.

Want SCing? Pay for it up front. Want poo-poo? Use a ChaDeMo. So simple :).

• Like x 3
    • Dislike x 2
  12. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Please, this is not about SuC been congestion-free or not. This is not about "do we want pay-as-you-go SuC". This is about that Tesla now has put in place a system for per-registering a credit car for payment.

What the meaning of this is unknown. I do not think it is meant to let Tesla just charge the card before delivery of the car. It is reasonable to think it is for repeatedly smaller payments of some kind. It could be for service, but I doubt it. It could be so you just can get into a shop and get new floor-mats or a chademo adapter and say "writ it on my car". But I doubt it. It seems likely that it is for some more regular payments - maybe a subscription of some kind?

At the same time we know that SuC will not be free for Model 3. At least not for all of them. And we know it is a directive from EU that all new public charging-stations have to offer CCS-plugs and pay-as-you-go solutions. Yes, that directive does not have to be implemented in the states - or in Hong Kong.

Therfor that was my first guess. But it may well be something else. Like @Az_Rael said, it could also be a subscription. Or it could be for the Internet connection subscription.

• Like x 1
  13. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Come to think of it - was it not so the Internet connection should be free for 4 years? And it is now about 4 years since the first Model S was delivered? I think this makes more sense as more I think of it...

14. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

Oh yes...a swag bag.

15. Garlan Garner

Yes, that would be interesting.

16. Garlan Garner

LOL

17. Garlan Garner

I believe it will be like the BMW 7 and 3 series. BMW is still selling the 7 series.

18. Garlan Garner

That's good to know.

19. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member