Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment on day of pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone please explain how paying by the bank transfer via the tesla app works? Can I initiate a transfer of the money on the app after I see the car and is that an immediate transfer so that I can take the car straight away? Or do I need to wait for a couple of days for the funds to transfer?

Would like to not make an extra trip to the bank for a cashiers check. But want to fully check the car on delivery before I part with any $$

• Informative
Reactions: doubleshot
Can someone please explain how paying by the bank transfer via the tesla app works? Can I initiate a transfer of the money on the app after I see the car and is that an immediate transfer so that I can take the car straight away? Or do I need to wait for a couple of days for the funds to transfer?

Would like to not make an extra trip to the bank for a cashiers check. But want to fully check the car on delivery before I part with any $$
When I went to pick up my car in Seattle last week they mandated use of the 3rd party application called 'plaid' - this isn't the tesla car, this is a financial service app that has partnered with many banks across the country. The Plaid app is embedded into the tesla app and is used in the payment process. When you try to use the app it asks for your bank id and password so you can electronically transfer the funds. I ended up being very concerned with this path as I'm not giving my bank information to anyone. I read through their terms of service and it wasn't clear what information they could keep of mine during the transfer. Most people are okay with this app (and as I said many banks partner with them). Basically it facilitates an electronic check.

I tried to get them to do just an old fashioned electronic transfer from my account but they can't do that as of 2022. I decided to go to the bank and get a cashiers check - I miss the old days where they just took my personal check in 2013 and 2020.

You don't have to use Plaid. Go in. Hit cancel after the initial screen a few times. It then says enter manually. But then again. Why you scared of Plaid? It just is a validation tool for wire transfers. Let's get outta the stone age. Look. Tesla literally knows where you are all the time and how hot your butt is. Let's be serious here.

Yes. You can do a wire after you view the car (it's instant). Yes you can bring a check (sometimes even a personal check). Yes you can pay in advance. OP's question actually answered instead of tinfoil hat responses. But if you're worried. Call. They'll answer you as long as you actually have a delivery appt.

You don't have to use Plaid. Go in. Hit cancel after the initial screen a few times. It then says enter manually. But then again. Why you scared of Plaid? It just is a validation tool for wire transfers. Let's get outta the stone age. Look. Tesla literally knows where you are all the time and how hot your butt is. Let's be serious here.

Yes. You can do a wire after you view the car (it's instant). Yes you can bring a check (sometimes even a personal check). Yes you can pay in advance. OP's question actually answered instead of tinfoil hat responses. But if you're worried. Call. They'll answer you as long as you actually have a delivery appt.
Thank you!

If you pay thru a transfer etc etc, and you decide to not take delivery or change your mind about getting a Tesla at all you will be stuck waiting on a return. This is the downside to that. Search on here about the issues ppl have had with getting refunds.

• Disagree
Just do ACH via Plaid on the day, AFTER you have inspected the car. They are used to people doing this, it won't be an issue. One thing to note is you might need to turn off 2FA on your bank account on the day as I believe with some banks like Wells Fargo the Plaid API doesn't work with it on.
What’s the maximum amount you can pay using Plaid?

Just do ACH via Plaid on the day, AFTER you have inspected the car. They are used to people doing this, it won't be an issue. One thing to note is you might need to turn off 2FA on your bank account on the day as I believe with some banks like Wells Fargo the Plaid API doesn't work with it on.
This is exactly what I wanted to know. Sounds like ACH is instant and saves me from having to goto the bank. Thank you

Reactions: scrapps