Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peak Oil

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Age of cheap fuel is over: IEA - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Speculators not behind oil price spike, says energy agency - Apr. 28, 2011

Age of cheap fuel is over: IEA |Electric Vehicle News - StumbleUpon

IEA chief economist Fatih Birol says the world's crude oil production peaked in 2006.

He says oil prices are likely to rise 30 per cent over the next three years.

"The existing fields are declining so sharply that in order to stay where we are in terms of production levels in the next 25 years, we have to find and develop four new Saudi Arabias," he said.

"It is a huge, huge challenge that we continue to underline."

http://www.countercurrents.org/arguimbau230410.htm
eia1.jpg

Being discussed here:
My Nissan Leaf Forum

Last edited:
Actually if you ask a Geologist, the peak is still on the horizon.

As the demand for oil increases the price goes up. Simple economics.

When the price goes up high enough it becomes cost-effective to drill and produce areas in which would normally be passed over for cheaper locations. The peak occurs when the demand for oil exceeds peak production and then stays there. Dr. Gregory gave an excellent lecture on peak oil in the class The Scientific Method: Debunking Psuedo Science Through Critical Thinking. Here is a page on Peak oil from that class. (That class, by the way, was a blast to take.)

Last edited:
I don't think things would be nearly so bad. The transport of freight can be more efficiently accomplished by electric trains. We have more than enough coal and nuclear to do that for hundreds of years. The main reason we don't is due to subsidies to trucking companies. As for agriculture, fertilizer can be distilled out of the atmosphere with enough electricity. They are currently building a plant to do so in Eastern Washington which will produce mainly when the wind is blowing to use the unneeded power. Tractors can be electrified and may actually be much more efficient due to the higher low speed torque. The big thing that will hurt is air transport, but with high speed electric trains, much of the flights that are 300 mi and under would be eliminated anyways so there is a big savings there. There would be a problem if we ran out of energy sources, but we still have access to vast energy resources. So the most convenient energy for yesterday's technology is running out. What a great impetus to move on to better and more efficient ways to do things.

One concern I have from an environmental viewpoint is that "peak oil" may be quite a few years away as the very dirty Canadian tar sands and US oil shale become attractive at $100/barrel. We have very large reserves of this stuff.

Unfortunately the world is responding too slowly to the very real and imminent threat of peak oil and surging demand from China and India. I suspect that those "dirty" sources are going to be the only thing that saves our butts. We are so dependent on fossil fuels right now that a major shortage would be a calamity. I'm not just talking about the economy, I'm talking about people starving.