Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White Standard Paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yeah I was off a little bit, I overpaid by $5500.

You're still off.

You bought EAP for $5000.

To get the same functionality today you need to buy FSD for $6000. The "free" AP you get today does much less.

Likewise if you're really trying to do apples to apples you need to keep the color the same, which adds another $1000 to the "current" car price.

Between that and the parts no longer coming with the car (14-50, phone cables, homelink) your difference is more like $3150.... plus you need to knock off your fuel savings for the last 9-10 months or whatever it was from that.

Reactions: DJVoorhees
As I said, someone who took delivery of a P in the first week of July has a pretty genuine gripe (though at least 1 guy mentioned when he complained to tesla he was told they would address it, dunno if they really will) ... and certainly a P100D/L owner who bought then has a super genuine gripe.

Just saying in most cases though the price cuts were pretty in line with the tax credit changes, and between that and older purchases getting more things that are now optional/not offered, the majority of 3 owners haven't taken the bath on price cuts the minority who genuinely have experienced once you run the #s.

Apologies for my poor word choice- I took delivery Q3/18, but placed the order near end of Q2, so I did get lifetime premium connectivity as that was based on order date, not delivery date.

Makes total sense. For me it is crazy that I bought a MSM LR RWD with aero wheels and black interior with no free supercharging, no lifetime connectivity, etc for $55,500. A Pearl White P3D with white interior is now $59,990. Granted the tax credit is $5625 less but WA state also just reimplemented a $2500 sales tax break. There was a $3200 break up until May of last year, but I missed it having bought in August.

Worst. Timing. Ever. Yes I have EAP and the longest range but man....

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Wow my config dropped ~$2k...rushed to buy before gov tax credit dropped even though my BMW lease isn't up until September...a little frustrating...but I have Homelink, car is awesome, and my build would still not be eligible for the new PA rebate limits...so I'll live.

But Elon did say no further price drops..blah
Mine went down 3400, being the paint I paid 1500 for is now free!

Which means it's not actually available until there is more funding? So say I order a Model 3 right now, will I be able to apply for the rebate at a future date?
I spoke to someone at the department that runs the program. He said that's a standard message they post every year this time of year because CA is technically inbetween budgets (going to 2020 from 2019).

He told to apply and made it seem that I would still get my rebate regardless of the message.

There is a chance the rebate may not be included in the 2020 budget; however, I would imagine the noise from such a decision would be loud by this point. To date, I haven't heard anything.

I think we'll be ok.

Reactions: Edwood
Here’s what I don’t get:

Solid Black was the standard ’no extra cost option'. Now it is instead a $1,000 option. Since you now have to pay for black, why don’t they terminate this solid black and instead go with a metallic black paint option? The two current metallic paint options (Midnight Silver Metallic and Deep Blue Metallic) are ’only’ $500 more than what they now charge for the Solid Black…

Here’s what I don’t get:

Solid Black was the standard ’no extra cost option'. Now it is instead a $1,000 option. Since you now have to pay for black, why don’t they terminate this solid black and instead go with a metallic black paint option? The two current metallic paint options (Midnight Silver Metallic and Deep Blue Metallic) are ’only’ $500 more than what they now charge for the Solid Black…

Because it costs them $$$ to change anything in the production flow. Same reason why the gratis white is the pearl white.

Pretty ridiculous.
I have a 4WD LR White 19" EAP-FSD and after 9 months for the same config the price change is -$3,385

Here is the purchase price comparison between last October
when there was still the $7,500 Federal tax credit, and today $1,875 Federal tax credit.

I had to pay $2,000 for the Pearl White Multi-Coat.
I payed $5,000 for Autopilot and later paid $2,000 for FSD, so a total of $7,000 compared to $6,000 today.

2018/10/19 2019/07/15

$54,000 ....... $47,990 ....... Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive - Premium Interior - Long Range
$ 2,000 ........ Included ....... Pearl White Multi-Coat
Included ....... Included ...... All Black Premium Interior
$ 1,500 ......... $ 1,500 ....... 19’’ Sport Wheels
$ 5,000 ......... Included ...... Autopilot
$ 2,000 ......... $ 6,000 ....... Full Self-Driving Capability (Special Incentive price)

$64,500 ........ $55,490 ....... Purchase Price - Excluding taxes and fees

- $ 7,500 ... - $ 1,875 ....... Federal tax credit
- $ 2,500 ... - $ 2,500 ....... California EV rebate
[ 10,000] .... [ 4,375]

$54,500 ....... $51,115
...................... - $ 3,385 Final Price Change Same Config between July 2019 and October 2018

This may be true and this is very helpful for my own thinking --- However -- If you do not factor the $7,500k tax credit, you are at a $7,500 loss.

If folks want to use the argument of Rebates & Incentives, etc to excuse the recent price drops --- then you must not factor those previously available into this equation. The Tax incentives were available for everyone at that time. These are not available now.

So - did Tesla mark up the car, $7,500 - simply because of a Federal Tax incentive? Seems a little messed up to essentially take a bite out of your rebate.

Thoughts? Not looking for a flame war - serious/clean/professional commentary.

Pretty ridiculous.

This may be true and this is very helpful for my own thinking --- However -- If you do not factor the $7,500k tax credit, you are at a $7,500 loss.

If folks want to use the argument of Rebates & Incentives, etc to excuse the recent price drops --- then you must not factor those previously available into this equation. The Tax incentives were available for everyone at that time. These are not available now.

So - did Tesla mark up the car, $7,500 - simply because of a Federal Tax incentive? Seems a little messed up to essentially take a bite out of your rebate.

I've made peace with dropping prices by seeing the car like any other piece of tech... it'll keep getting cheaper the longer it's around. Like a top of the line TV will drop a few hundred bucks every couple of months till a new better model comes out that's even cheaper than the original. I took delivery of my fully loaded P3D for 82K plus tax about a year ago... since then, options have been repackaged, pricing has been changed up and down, tax incentives have been reduced, ... remember when Elon tweeted the original specs of the P3D? it was like 90K base, no paint or autopilot. Early adopters are willing to pay more for the latest and newest, and eventually the price comes down enough for larger swatches of customers to adopt. They're trying to find the right price maximize profitability... tax incentives certainly play into that as most consumers calculate that into their decision. Of course i don't feel great that my same configuration costs 62K today, but no amount of shaking my fist into the wind or letter writing is going to change that.

I think the problem lies with the law itself. Does that incentive “belong” to the car manufacturer or the owner?

If it belongs to the car manufacturer, then why does the owner claim it on her tax return?
If it belongs to the owner, then why is it linked to how many units the manufacturer sold?

Personally, I view it as an instrument for the manufacturer to offset the substantial cost of developing and producing an EV vs. established ICEV. So I mentally just always subtracted it from MSRP and therefore have no issue with Tesla reducing MSRP after a change in this tax credit. If I’d consider it “mine”, I’d feel guilt because in total “I” got $7500 + $7500 + $3750 over the last few years.

I also think that it was clear that the depreciation should be based on MSRP minus all incentives because these incentives only applied to the first sale.

I've made peace with dropping prices by seeing the car like any other piece of tech... it'll keep getting cheaper the longer it's around. Like a top of the line TV will drop a few hundred bucks every couple of months till a new better model comes out that's even cheaper than the original. I took delivery of my fully loaded P3D for 82K plus tax about a year ago... since then, options have been repackaged, pricing has been changed up and down, tax incentives have been reduced, ... remember when Elon tweeted the original specs of the P3D? it was like 90K base, no paint or autopilot. Early adopters are willing to pay more for the latest and newest, and eventually the price comes down enough for larger swatches of customers to adopt. They're trying to find the right price maximize profitability... tax incentives certainly play into that as most consumers calculate that into their decision. Of course i don't feel great that my same configuration costs 62K today, but no amount of shaking my fist into the wind or letter writing is going to change that.

You make a solid point in viewing this like any other piece of tech.

Apple releases a new iPhone in January, then drops the price by half in 6 months. Sure.

Perhaps my thinking is skewed since this is a larger purchase than a phone - but I do see your point.

just wait until Tesla's tax rebate is all gone... M3s will probably get higher performance (more speed) or air shocks to entice buyers and not raise the price. Current buyers should know that's going to happen in 2020 when they buy now.