Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White Standard Paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the idiots including myself waited in line so we could pay a markup.

Tesla was smart. Mark it up so they get the fed credit. Well play Mr. Musk.

DSCF0459-01.jpeg

I feel like this does not do Tesla any favors. It just builds ill will among those of us who just bought Teslas.

Like oh look, it costs you ~$5K less to buy the same car you bought 10 days ago? THAT feels like a fun surprise.

And the guy who came in 10 minutes before you at a regular dealership got a different price too... so what?

FWIW my exact config is $8000 less today than when I bought Q3/18. Of course I got a $5625 larger tax credit than a buyer today will, and I've saved roughly $2000 in gas over the time I've had it...and I don't have to pay another $300 to add homelink after the fact... and I got the $14 phone cables and the $35 14-50 adapter all of which I use daily....so net cost for getting to drive an excellent car for about 10 months compared to "waiting" for it be cheaper turns out to be... $26.

Oh, wait, I also paid $200 less destination charge.... so I suppose I'm actually $174 ahead versus having waited...

Oh, wait, again.... I also got lifetime free premium connectivity- which means if they ever actually get around to charging new buyers for that I come out even further ahead...

Just some perspective before the flood of "early model 3 buyers got screwed" posts that usually follow these price cuts.

(for some more perspective on that talk to a P100D(L) buyer who paid 132k earlier this year and you can now get the upgraded motor and suspension version of the same car under 100k)
In my case, I paid the same for my SR+ in March as SR+ today.
But mine didn't come with standard AP.
Tesla's asking $3000 for AP.
I got $1750 more on tax credit.
I spent more than the savings from fuel on level 2 charging.

So I spent about $1500 more than someone ordering the same car today.

Damn, was a 3k option for some of us $2k for me I think. I figured they would do regular white not multicoat. Kind of pissed that I paid allot more for it and it's back at the body shop again for paint defects and now people get good paint jobs for free. Not some hack job paint job compromise like I got for more money. They suck at painting so they do multicoat white for free? seems like a poor choice on their part but great deal for new buyers! New buyers if your reading this, just get white, do it. On the other hand don't, because now I'm sure my 3 will be the most average looking on the road. Guess it's time to pull off the performance badge to go full stealth.

My 3 (without PUP) was 75k before tax, so people thinking tax credits make up the difference wrong. Although I got back 15k in credits, but only after allot of stress and time and being treated likely a second rate customer.

I'm just jell though (I admit it, not entitled, just jealous), because I have hardly paid off any of my loan and it was in the shop for over 2 months so far. So I paid a premium for an inferior car. Nothing going to fix that except buying something else next time around. Other manufactures really need to catch up because right now my tesla has been in the shop longer than an ice car would have been.

Last edited:
Isnt that discontinued?
RWD LR is discontinued. RWD SR Plus is now the base version, though I think the RWD SR is available if you go into a Tesla Showroom and order it directly.

The price reductions are likely to stimulate sales even further (and Model 3 sales have been pretty remarkable so far this year) and having Pearl White Multi-Coat as the standard paint color is pretty nice. White is the most popular car color in the US.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I just looked at the Tesla configurator for the 3 and it shows Pearl White as standard with black as a $750 option. That's a little different than Elon said it would be. Are you seeing the same thing?

First off all cool name! You work in TV as well? or just like TV, haha.

This is awesome, was waiting for this, ordered mine 10 days ago LR AWD, pearl white + rims. I just adjusted, should be getting delivery hopefully 2 weeks and my price just dropped $3,410! Can't believe they are keeping it pearl white for the free color.

Or option 2 for me, upgrade to performance and only mentally costs me $2,000 more!!

Last edited: