Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian detection - emergency stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got several incidents like that....

3 times Rolling to hold on a roundabout with about 5 meters to go. Car freaks out and slams the breaks. Then disables regen to hold for the rest of the drive. Exactly the same situation 20 other tines in the jorney it doesent care about..... Or the 100 other commutes with 20 events like that each time.... Just 3 times it freaked out.

"phantom" breaking at motorway speeds... Latest one happened yesterday. Was in the "fast" lane doing only 80, Some boy racers behind me decided I was too slow and went to undertake at about 100 with a biker going even faster undertaking the undertaker.... Fun times. Ok should have moved over, but this guy was up my bum and about to undertake so didnt seem safe. Anyway, after they are both about 100 meters in front and there is a MB on the left doing about 70 seemed to swerve a little into my lane (just brushed the white line)... Boom my car freaks out and goes to 60. If that happened 1 min earlier with boy racer behind me it would be a rear ender for sure.

Had the same a few other times, but not as dramatic.

And the car regularly thinks im going to crash into parked cars if I'm doing any more than 15 mph on our little roads here.

The weirdest ones is the "corrective steering". Get the alert, get the message, but dont feel any corrections at all...

This is all pretty minor stuff to be honest.

Auto pilot on city streets with pedestrians will need some more time to stabilize as human behavior does not always follow a set rule every time, therefore it is often difficult to model, needs lot of data to model the behavior of human more predictably. Till then we will all have to be cautious and be prepared for those hard stares from folks...

The company where I use to work had (I think still have and even expanded to other scenarios) a level 4 vehicle roaming largely pedestrian and cyclist areas specifically to understand the interaction of autonomous vehicles and other more vulnerable users of those spaces. It was reported to us that Google had commented how far ahead we were in the research around these scenarios. I would expect that this research may well filter down to the car manufacturers at some point, if it had not done so already. Unfortunately Tesla can appear to be quite insular in some of their development so they will probably just do it their way.

Many of these replies seem to imply that unexpected emergency braking is only occurring when the car is in autopilot mode. Mine certainly wasn’t, and re-reading the OP I don’t infer that was either. We know AP is ‘beta’ and unexpected things may happen, but is it OK for the car to brake suddenly for a shopping bag, or indeed a pedestrian walking in the gutter, when being driven in manual mode?
Correct, I was not in AP mode, just minding my own business driving slowly. Out of nowhere the car did an emergency brake. I wonder what the person behind would have said if they had run into the back of me?

I'll add another one, it's the human instinct as you come up to a traffic light and the light has gone green so you are watching the car in front of you pull away and you've taken your foot off because you know you don't have to stop and he won't be there when you get there and then....... Brakes lock up! Damn you car, I was driving nice and smoothly without flying up behind him and then braking, I was coasting gently and you mess it up.