Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peeling Clear Coat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Washed my car today and found this little gem.

679FD32D-F9FA-45E6-8B3B-E7F5E20466F1.jpeg

Last year I had a minor accident that involved replacement and repainting of the front fascia. I had the work done at an official Tesla Body Shop. Less than a year later the clear coat is peeling. Not happy at all. Anyone else have this issue? I’m not sure I even want them to fix it. Let only drive 2 hour to the shop. I should had just taken it to a local shop. Very disappointed.

Yeah, I will reach out to them on Monday. Hopefully they will stand behind there work and I don’t have to argue about it.

Based on my last experience an appointment will probably be about 2 months out. They may have to do more than just the clear by then.

same thing happened to me tesla service sucks worst then toyota and kia
You just flamed Tesla for something they had nothing to do with.
So many blind Tesla haters here. Yikes.

(This work was done at a body shop, that was approved to work on Tesla cars. This shop isn’t Tesla, and has nothing to do with Tesla).

Looks like Toyota and Kia still hold the title. :)

Last year I had a minor accident that involved replacement and repainting of the front fascia. I had the work done at an official Tesla Body Shop.

Was the body shop "Tesla certified" or actually Tesla owned?
I suspect the former, as that is usually the case, but do clarify.

Less than a year later the clear coat is peeling. Not happy at all. Anyone else have this issue?

No. But I haven't had any paintwork done on my car (yet).
But by the sounds of it, the root cause of your peeling clear-coat is poorly applied paint by the body shop in question.
If they have warranty on the work they perform, consider going back and claiming it.
Otherwise, you will need to look for another body shop to re-paint the panel, on your dime.

Based on my last experience an appointment will probably be about 2 months out. They may have to do more than just the clear by then.

Insist on having the entire panel stripped of paint, and resprayed. From scratch.
Applying another layer of clear will produce unsatisfactory results - new paint will not adhere properly, and the edge of the old clear will be visible from some angles.

How so?
Please elaborate.

You just flamed Tesla for something they had nothing to do with.

Actually, we don't know that.
There is no information on <a10ha10ha7>'s encounter.

Looks like Toyota and Kia still hold the title. :)

I would MUCH RATHER deal with 99% of Toyota service centers for anything, over Tesla's.
No first hand experience with Kia.

YMMV,
a