TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

PEM/Motor temp

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by Bunnak, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

EDB5AD3A-3FB5-457E-9195-927799B13AD5.jpeg
    Sorry for another newbie question here. Drove for 10 mins at no more than 40 mph around city and PEM temp is at 42 degrees Celsius and motor temp at 44 degrees. PEM goes down to 36 degrees when I’m at a stoplight. It’s a nice 73 degrees outside. Last weekend I drove from Orange County to LA for the So Cal Roundup and then to Malibu (30 miles). Stopped for 30 minutes in Malibu and then drove around 70mph for about 90 mins (85 miles) back home. When I got home I got a “Power train service required” message—code 1144. My car (#1339)has about 22,000 miles now...never had power train message before. Should I be concerned?

2. Logticom

Logticom Roadster Sport EU #243

Does your rear blower (under the trunk) come on while driving / charging?

1144 is pem fan problem.

3. im4uttx

im4uttx Supporting Member

The VDS message page says error 1144 is possibly coolant level or PEM/motor fan issue (could be connectors/wiring.
    Roadster VDS Messages

That's all I got...

4. Logticom

Logticom Roadster Sport EU #243

5. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

the rear blower does come on while charging. when driving hard for me to tell? i've actually never paid attention because there was always other noises coming from the car...haha! I read up on prior posts about PEM temp and it appears high 40s is OK. I'll just see if that power train service required message comes again. if so i'll let @ExecMotorwerkz take a look.

6. gregd

gregd Active Member

I've had both 1144 and 1146 errors, and both appear related to getting enough airflow through the PEM. The connector contact issue is usually the cause, but it can also be related to the connecting duct between the blowers and the PEM itself. Assuming they aren't blocked with debris, if they aren't sealed properly to the PEM, the PEM will complain that the airflow (determined by temperature changes?) isn't what was expected for the current being offered to the fan motor. We finally fixed my 1144 / 1146 errors with a combination of a replacement of the contacts in both the PEM and wire harness, and with some foam weather stripping to seal the duct.

BTW, since your PEM temperature varies so much with your driving, that means that you have the PEM Fan Upgrade (single motor, two blowers), since either a high PEM or Motor temp will push the fan speed up. If the motor is hot it will signal the fan to blow more air, but that will also push more air to the PEM at the same time, lowering its temperature more than might otherwise be needed. Not a problem, just an observation.

• Informative x 1
  7. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

No, not when it's only 73 F ambient temp. My PEM never sees high 40s, not even when it's in the low 90s (F) outside (about as warm as it gets around here).

8. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

Yikes...

9. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

When got #1339 three months ago part of the deal was for the SC to do an annual service—I saw the invoice so indeed it was done. SC gave the car a clean bill of health. However I’m not convinced PEM cleaning was done? Invoice didn’t mention anything about PEM cleaning.