Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PEM/Motor temp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDB5AD3A-3FB5-457E-9195-927799B13AD5.jpeg

Sorry for another newbie question here. Drove for 10 mins at no more than 40 mph around city and PEM temp is at 42 degrees Celsius and motor temp at 44 degrees. PEM goes down to 36 degrees when I’m at a stoplight. It’s a nice 73 degrees outside. Last weekend I drove from Orange County to LA for the So Cal Roundup and then to Malibu (30 miles). Stopped for 30 minutes in Malibu and then drove around 70mph for about 90 mins (85 miles) back home. When I got home I got a “Power train service required” message—code 1144. My car (#1339)has about 22,000 miles now...never had power train message before. Should I be concerned?

Does your rear blower (under the trunk) come on while driving / charging?

1144 is pem fan problem.

the rear blower does come on while charging. when driving hard for me to tell? i've actually never paid attention because there was always other noises coming from the car...haha! I read up on prior posts about PEM temp and it appears high 40s is OK. I'll just see if that power train service required message comes again. if so i'll let @ExecMotorwerkz take a look.

I've had both 1144 and 1146 errors, and both appear related to getting enough airflow through the PEM. The connector contact issue is usually the cause, but it can also be related to the connecting duct between the blowers and the PEM itself. Assuming they aren't blocked with debris, if they aren't sealed properly to the PEM, the PEM will complain that the airflow (determined by temperature changes?) isn't what was expected for the current being offered to the fan motor. We finally fixed my 1144 / 1146 errors with a combination of a replacement of the contacts in both the PEM and wire harness, and with some foam weather stripping to seal the duct.

BTW, since your PEM temperature varies so much with your driving, that means that you have the PEM Fan Upgrade (single motor, two blowers), since either a high PEM or Motor temp will push the fan speed up. If the motor is hot it will signal the fan to blow more air, but that will also push more air to the PEM at the same time, lowering its temperature more than might otherwise be needed. Not a problem, just an observation.

• Informative
Reactions: Bunnak
When got #1339 three months ago part of the deal was for the SC to do an annual service—I saw the invoice so indeed it was done. SC gave the car a clean bill of health. However I’m not convinced PEM cleaning was done? Invoice didn’t mention anything about PEM cleaning.