Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pending December 9 Rail Strike?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There may be a freight railroad strike in the U.S. on December 9. This may impact (delay) some Tesla deliveries to certain areas of the country that receive their vehicles by rail. Conversely, those who live in areas that are within trucking distance of Austin or Fremont may receive their vehicles earlier.

I would hope that Tesla is watching this closely. If a rail shipped car was charged, say, to only 50%, and it was impacted by a strike that lasted weeks, those traction packs could be significantly drained by the time they were off-loaded; and it would be difficult to move a drained battery car off the carriers at all. And the life of the pack could be decreased if drained completely. In fact, battery warranties are voided for extended 0% charge.

I would hope that they start using car carrying trucks only right about now, to avoid an extended strike's problems.

The upside would be a couple weeks delay of late-December eastern deliveries, pushing them into Jan. 2023. Those customers would benefit from the IRA tax credit they wouldn't get in December, if that tax credit still applies.

Last edited:
I would hope that Tesla is watching this closely. If a rail shipped car was charged, say, to only 50%, and it was impacted by a strike that lasted weeks, those traction packs could be significantly drained by the time they were off-loaded; and it would be difficult to move a drained battery car off the carriers at all. And the life of the pack could be decreased if drained completely. In fact, battery warranties are voided for extended 0% charge.

I would hope that they start using car carrying trucks only right about now, to avoid an extended strike's problems.

The upside would be a couple weeks delay of late-December eastern deliveries, pushing them into Jan. 2023. Those customers would benefit from the IRA tax credit they wouldn't get in December, if that tax credit still applies.
I’ve left my car a few weeks at 50% and it didn’t drain to 0. Not sure this would be a major issue other then delay.

I’ve left my car a few weeks at 50% and it didn’t drain to 0. Not sure this would be a major issue other then delay.

I've seen reports of 1 to 5% a day phantom drain, depending on how often a car "wakes up." I would sincerely hope that Tesla puts the transported cars (truck or train) in very deep hibernation mode, or somesuch. But still, they might delay deliveries unnecessarily by placing pre-delivered cars on trains destined for the eastern side, something that Tesla just doesn't want to risk going towards the end of the 4th quarter if a strike happens. I guess we'll know by the 9th of Dec. My own car is on a train right now, expecting to get into the Chicago region by the 2nd or so. Then trucked to my local "store."

Let's hope that customers needing their cars by mid to late December aren't impacted much by a pending strike. I think there's 4 more unions than need to agree to updated terms for this to be avoided.