Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People complaining about price drops are asking Tesla to sell fewer cars.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah this could be a big quarter. $50k for a Performance with Track Mode is a pretty awesome deal for a car with the performance it provides. Seems like a much better deal than an M3. I guess we’ll see. Or we won’t, since they’ll all be Stealth.

If you dislike price drops and have a way for Tesla to raise their prices and still sell as many cars you should probably say how.

People are not saying to raise the price, they would just like the option to be rewarded. For example my configuration was $61k and is now $50k. If they offered the FSD upgrade at a discounted price it would help. For example the $50k had to pay the $6k to upgrade and the older only had to pay $1k. In that case you lowered the current price and kept the older owners happy.

The same goes for the 2018 AWD owners where it sounds like they could do a P- update. We would have still paid more versus a new owner but would have similar cars.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
People are not saying to raise the price, they would just like the option to be rewarded. For example my configuration was $61k and is now $50k. If they offered the FSD upgrade at a discounted price it would help. For example the $50k had to pay the $6k to upgrade and the older only had to pay $1k. In that case you lowered the current price and kept the older owners happy.

The same goes for the 2018 AWD owners where it sounds like they could do a P- update. We would have still paid more versus a new owner but would have similar cars.

This is almost mind boggling how people think Tesla needs to do this. Has any other car company given you something for free? Tesla does all the time, but yet its still not enough...

let imagine Tesla was like every other car co out there...

"lets add emergency braking safety feature" - Yes on model 2020 cars so they have to buy a new one

"Lets add a mode for their dogs to stay in the car" - sure on the 2020 model so they have to buy a new one

"lets give the car 5% more speed" - sure on a new 2020 model so they have to buy a new one

seeing a pattern here? I could keep going with DOZENS of examples. Tesla gives you things free all the time, no other car co EVER HAS. But yet its not enough and you think they owe you more, because you found out someone else paid less.

Tesla owed you NOTHING except a great car, which they have done and keep doing. Please name me another car company that continues to give you things for free that add value to that car AFTER PURCHASE like Tesla does.

If you dislike price drops and have a way for Tesla to raise their prices and still sell as many cars you should probably say how.

This argument implies the prices have to be dropped to prop up demand to the current production levels.
In other words, you are postulating that the demand is sagging, and sales would be declining at the old price points, along with Tesla's viability as a going concern.

If that's your argument, brace for impact...
:eek:

This is almost mind boggling how people think Tesla needs to do this. Has any other car company given you something for free? Tesla does all the time, but yet its still not enough...

Weird proclamation, but lets see where it goes.
I've paid for everything that I got in my car, including the bugs, and a few missing fender fasteners.
I also paid for all the aftermarket bits and pieces afterwards (floor mats, wireless charger, sun-shade, etc).

If there is something that you got out of Tesla for free, please do share, as we may want to tap that keg as well!

"lets add emergency braking safety feature" - Yes on model 2020 cars so they have to buy a new one
"Lets add a mode for their dogs to stay in the car" - sure on the 2020 model so they have to buy a new one

All worthless fluff.
BTW, if you plan to keep your dog in your locked car, you will get to know ASPCA and animal control real up close and personal!

"lets give the car 5% more speed" - sure on a new 2020 model so they have to buy a new one

Not 5% more speed.
But (supposedly) 5% more higher RPM horsepower.
Yet to be verified, as the firmware update has produced no documented improvements in measured acceleration.

Please name me another car company that continues to give you things for free that add value to that car AFTER PURCHASE like Tesla does.

You are confusing "fluff features" with "adding value".

None of the above fluff has added any value to me, my family, my dogs, or to my car's resale value.
If you have any data that demonstrates how any of the above had positively impacted used Tesla's resale value, please do share. Otherwise, keep on dreaming.

Cheers!

This argument implies the prices have to be dropped to prop up demand to the current production levels.
In other words, you are postulating that the demand is sagging, and sales would be declining at the old price points, along with Tesla's viability as a going concern.

If that's your argument, brace for impact...
:eek:
Do you have an alternate theory? This really isn't very complicated. If they could sell this many cars at the old price why would they lower the price?
I don't pretend to know how viable Tesla is. The stock market says they're worth $45 Billion, that's more than Ford, so it seems likely that they are a viable company.

I'll never understand why people complain about the price fluctuations Tesla does. You got what you paid for when you paid for it so as far as I'm concerned, case closed. If anything Tesla is exposing the scam that is traditional auto sales where two people can pay vastly different amounts for the same exact car depending on a number of factors. With Tesla, everyone pays the same X amount of money for the same config on at the same time and so on and so forth...

Jeff

I think it just goes to show that Tesla doesn't understand how to handle how profit margin top end vehicles. Why would the price need to be made cheaper on the P3D? Who cares if it doesn't sell that many. Does anyone SERIOUSLY need a P3D?

They should have left the price alone.

I can certainly understand compensating for the loss of the tax credit to some degree for the cheaper variants to maintain or expand production numbers. But, not the top end one that only really differs in SW enabled features.

My other concern is profitability. Can Tesla show a profit while lowering the price so often? We always knew the P3D price differential over the AWD variant was mostly profit.

Sure they might get a few more takers for the P3D over the AWD, but will it be enough to compensate for the drop in profit margins?

I also the question timing. It always coincides with the drop in tax credit.

They did it one, and now they've done it it again. So if I was in the market for a P3D I might just end up on the fence with the anticipation of another price drop when the last tax credit disappears. The price drops have generally exceeded the tax credit drops.

As an owner the price drops have radically changed how I see the car.

I used to think about getting an aftermarket front end kit, and maybe some other changes. I thought about getting a frontal wrap, and some other paint protection.

After all the price cuts? Haha, now I just think of it as a utility thing.

Just slap some 18's on it, and run it till it don't run no more.

At the end of the day is it really that big of a deal? Not really. I mean it's not like I didn't know Tesla's history of abusing P owners.

It certainly doesn't come close to the long standing lie of FSD. If I truly believed in FSD I wouldn't care at all because I'd take comfort that my car would gain value over time.

It's kinda funny how Elon is promising that the cars will go up in price while at the same time lowering them. Like we're just a few weeks away from FSD increasing in price by another $1K. Will it happen? Or will it be a followed by a >$1K price cut on the vehicle itself.

Maybe it's just the reality of things. That these aren't cars, but rolling Software.

Last edited:

seeing a pattern here? I could keep going with DOZENS of examples. Tesla gives you things free all the time, no other car co EVER HAS. But yet its not enough and you think they owe you more, because you found out someone else paid less.

Tesla owed you NOTHING except a great car, which they have done and keep doing. Please name me another car company that continues to give you things for free that add value to that car AFTER PURCHASE like Tesla does.

It's kind of funny.

Normal vehicle owner - My vehicle doesn't have all the cool new stuff that the new version of my vehicle has, and as a result the resale value of my car has been damaged.

Tesla P3D owner - The new owners don't have a single thing that I don't have. Plus I have lots of things that I didn't used to have like Sentry mode, and 5% more power. So my car compares nicely to new cars. Oh, crap. I didn't see that they lowered the price TWICE, and now the new version is so much cheaper.

I guess it comes down to picking your poison. :)

I think it just goes to show that Tesla doesn't understand how to handle how profit margin top end vehicles. Why would the price need to be made cheaper on the P3D? Who cares if it doesn't sell that many. Does anyone SERIOUSLY need a P3D?
Haha. Tesla and the majority of the US economy is in the business of selling things that people don't need. They make way more money when they sell a P3D vs. an AWD or SR+.

Haha. Tesla and the majority of the US economy is in the business of selling things that people don't need. They make way more money when they sell a P3D vs. an AWD or SR+.

There is an art to it though.

Part of that art is to protect the perceived value of the top option. You do that by making it something a person lusts after. Even though we know we don't really need it. We still find ourselves wanting it.

The accountants, and other logically minded people will buy the value version.

I want Tesla to be in a position where they can maintain good profit margins on their top end variant. They can't do that if the customer has the perception that Tesla won't protect the resale value of it.

Do you think I'm seriously going to buy another P variant of a Tesla?

I'll probably get a Model Y, but this time around I'll just get the regular old AWD version

Last edited:
I would absolutely have bought a P instead of an AWD if it was the current price delta. My guess is that there are enough people like me, who don't care at all about exclusivity, to more than offset the number of people who want an overpriced car.

From my understanding of buyers of high end variants I think exclusivity really matters. Where there willing to pay a lot more even if they'll never use it.

The other reason is it's important that people get a car that fits their needs. The P3D+ is a track orientated car. So why would it be something for regular folks? All it's going to do is get them into trouble. In fact it's kind of a ridiculous option with the low profile 20inch wheels that are prone to bending, and not meant for cold weather.

The other thing to consider is the suspension.

There have been lots of complaints about the suspension in the Model 3. It works great for me, and is perfectly the norm for the type of car I typically enjoy. But, it's not the right suspension for someone who wants a softer ride.

So that's another thing that should be considerably different in the P version than the none P.

By lowering the price they're just going to get more people in the P3D version when it doesn't really fit their needs.

I think they would have been better off by simply adding more capabilities. Like adaptive suspension, HUD or something else.