Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

people sleeping while driving.. this is why we can't have nice things

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another day, another article about people sleeping while driving in a Tesla...
Are people doing this consciously, are they deciding to do this or are they just driving whilst exhausted? If they were driving a different car would they be falling asleep behind the wheel due to tiredness. If this is the case then being on autopilot is maybe a better option?
Do people really believe they can just sleep whilst on autopilot? It seemed pretty clear to me quite quickly what the limitations of autopilot were. I would never fall asleep whilst driving (well no more so than driving any other car). How do they fall asleep while keeping their hand on the wheel?
It's frustrating because autopilot even in it's current state is incredible I think and I would be really pissed off if it was banned or taken away because of the actions of some idiots.
This all being said given the way people drive so distracted these days, reading books (I saw someone read a large bible driving 80mpg in their Honda civic on the freeway), eating and drinking steering with their knees, on their phone, falling asleep etc. doing these things without autopilot must be far more dangerous than with. Autopilot at least puts a level of safety between distracted drivers and imminent doom. Of course there is the reasonable argument that autopilot encourages even more distracted driving.

have to disagree with some of what's said above. Its actually hard sometimes not to fall asleep because the vehicle drives so effortless while on autopilot. Maybe it's just me but after a weekend of partying like a rockstar and have to drive a few hours the next day I find it much harder to stay awake while autopilot is enabled.

Last edited:
I have often fought sleepiness on my return commute while on AP. It's a 1.5- to 2-hour commute through really bad traffic. I have one hand at the 9pm position on the wheel, and the weight of my arm keeps the AP nag from appearing. One time I did dose off, and somehow my arm sagged more and overcame the resistance on the wheel, and AP disengaged. I snapped awake when I felt that and heard the disengage chime. A shot of adrenaline rushed through my system and I was wide awake.

But yeah, I suspect people aren't falling asleep intentionally thinking they can 100% trust AP. Probably accidental. I make it a point to get enough sleep on the days I commute so I don't let that happen again.

Reactions: Ludalicious
How are people pulling this off? Even with my hands on the wheel, the Autopilot is constantly telling me to apply a firm tug every once in a while to prove that I'm still "in control". Also, I've seen the AP make questionable jerky steering inputs that would wake my ass up if I were dozing off...

There are things people insert in the steering wheel that stop the notification. It’s highly illegal and extremely unsafe because it allows people to fall asleep.

have to disagree with some of what's said above. Its actually hard sometimes not to fall asleep because the vehicle drives so effortless while on autopilot. Maybe it's just me but after a weekend of partying like a rockstar and have to drive a few hours the next day I find it much harder to stay awake while autopilot is enabled.

Sorry to be a little bit blunt, but under such circumstances, you shouldn't be driving at all... period.
It's just not worth to jeopardize your & other people's lives like this, be it in a Tesla or any other vehicle.

Reactions: Octo
This is the problem with having "beta" autonomous driving in a car you're selling to the public. People get complacent and start to use it in ways it's not ready to be used.

If Tesla doesn't get this working at full level 4 relatively quickly I suspect the government is going to step in and limit which beta features Tesla is allowed to enable on cars driving on public streets.

• Disagree
Reactions: MaryAnning3
I just don't get why people would endanger themselves and others by sleeping at the wheel. I do get why someone might thing it cute or amusing to pretend to be sleeping, as a goof on others.

I would be interested to see, though, if there was similar media hysteria about auto accidents involving cars with that newfangled 'cruise control' back in the day, which much like TACC/Autosteer probably had a zillion different trade names before one came to rule the Zeitgeist.

Challenge to all...start posting videos of drivers sleeping while driving other makes.
It should be an extremely difficult challenge.
This is nearly an impossible challenge. Videoing the aftermath sure that is easy.

Speaking from experience, I have been passed by a sleeping driver. He passed us in the left lane. Then he drifted off the right side of the road. After taking out a street light he made a slight left turn back on the highway crossing all lanes and hit hard on the center guardrail. That is when he woke up and his brake lights came on.