Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People who don't buy because of "charging time"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've considered going electric, but still haven't made the move yet. Why? Well, I prefer road trips over flying and road trips are still much faster and convenient in gas cars. That's an undeniable fact. Once electric technology improves to the point that it's competitive in that regard, I'll strongly reconsider. But for now, ICE is my strong preference. I do like to keep up on what's happening in the EV world, so forums like this one and other are always an amusing read.

I give you people credit though....I still consider you all the early adopters who are helping to make things better in the EV world for all of us in the future.
I'm curious:
1) Are you the type that likes to drive long distances without stopping ? (E.g., ok with 3 hour drive no stop)
2) What are your typical drive time lengths for road trips per day when you do make them?

On road trips I find that I need to stop anyway for bathroom breaks or grab a bite etc and taking 15-20 min is not a big deal. I have mostly been driving up and down the east coast and have never had to wait for a supercharger. Other than on road trips I’m exclusively charging at home or enjoying free charging at work. Overall it’s much more convenient.

Based on this one statement I would say your “friend” is an idiot. I don’t agree with something so my solution is to endanger other lives to make a point. You need to find a new friend……. Can I also wildly guess he has a 6“ diameter exhaust on his Civic and a wing on the back. That would explain a lot.
You missed the part where OP said he doesn’t mind his friends perspective. So make that 2 idiots.

If my friend was legitimately doing that, we wouldn’t be friends any longer, because I’m not a 17 year old edge lord.

Consider your self-declared 'fact' denied. I've driven from the Atlantic (Hampton Roads, VA) to Pacific (Los Angeles, CA) Ocean in 3 days solo (granted, no kids to deal with but nobody to share driving with either so I had to sleep at night) in a Tesla Model 3. I even made it to LA in time for a 5:00 pm meeting at a hotel near LAX. I've done over 1100 miles in a day. How much better can you do in an ICE? That was before there were V3 Superchargers and I had to detour to Dallas because I-40 wasn't covered through Arkansas yet. I know few who have done such drives in an ICE. All one really needs to do is to:
- be flexible enough to eat your meals and use the bathrooms while you are charging.
- find hotels with destination chargers
- charge only until the you have enough to make it to the next charging station with about 10% SOC upon arrival in order to charge at fast rate.
I look forward to doing it again soon with today's much better infrastructure.
Granted, I've been doing this for decades so I know how to optimize a bit better than many but if you're half the road warrior you proclaim to be, you can easily do just about as well in an EV today.

Denied my fact and then asked if I could do better. LOL, you're funny.

Let me put it to you this way: I have an Audi and Jeep that are both capable of more than 500 miles on a tank. And stopping for gas can be a 5-minute stop if I want it to be. So you asked if I can do better than your scenario....the answer is yes.

I'm curious:
1) Are you the type that likes to drive long distances without stopping ? (E.g., ok with 3 hour drive no stop)
2) What are your typical drive time lengths for road trips per day when you do make them?

Absolutely. Consider myself a road warrior. It's not as much about the drive itself as it is getting to the destination. Scenic routes? Nope. Don't care. Get on a highway and make time. I try to average 80 mph when I can.

New York to Florida, we've done in 16 hours, which was covering about 1,300 miles. Left with a full tank, had to stop for gas twice. That's not happening in any Tesla today. Sorry, it's just not. My brother has a Model 3 LR and he's never gotten even close making the same trip.

A jeep can do 500 miles?
My 2016 Wrangler UL did best case 18Mpg, more trip average 16Mpg with 20 gal tank, or 320 miles

On paper, it can do 615 miles on a tank. That's a 24.6 gallon tank and 25 mpg highway. In reality, it's more like 510 because I'm not running the tank down to nothing and I'm usually getting 23 mph highway. But yeah, 500 miles easy if you're cruising at typical highway speeds. My Audi can do much better while making really good time.

+90% of buyers still choose ICE over EV. They are used to them and have adapted to their care and feeding needs.
Realistically, those choosing a 40 mpg Civic or 50 mpg Prius are inching towards an EV. They want to reduce their costs per mile and are willing to drive a less safe, poorer handling and louder vehicle.

Governments are pushing people into EVs by providing tax credits, rebates, loans to manufacturers, and restricting polluting cars from their city centers. When it is simply cheaper to go EV, they will be more willing to make the leap.

When the pressure gets too great they will hold their nose and buy an EV. Then they will need to change their ways and adapt to this new technology.

Their cars will tend to get quieter, more handle better, be safer, need less maintenance, not pollute, and be more socially acceptable.

They will learn the value of not needing to pull into gas stations every few hundred miles, no oil changes, longer lasting brakes, no exhaust systems, no smell, no rattling engines at idle, instant torque, no annoying gear shifting transmissions, more interior space.

They will get used to having a full battery every morning, lots of charging infrastructure on highway travels, no smelly exhaust and great traffic aware cruise control for more enjoyable longer trips.

• Disagree
Reactions: Stan930 and AMPd
Left with a full tank, had to stop for gas twice.
Do you pee in a bottle and eat sandwiches out of a cooler (hope you had hand sanitizer)?
1300 miles in 16 hours is average speed of 81 mph. Assuming two 10 minute gas-only stops (5 minutes pumping, 5 minutes getting on and off I-95), that's 83 mph while you're moving. This assumes you didn't run into any traffic in NJ, DC, etc or speed traps.
Ok, theoretically doable but definitely extreme.
EV equivalent (it doesn't really matter what your brother does unless he's as crazy as you or me): Assuming 80+ mph, you could probably only go about 200 miles between charges so you would need six 20 minute charging stops. With a M3LR it would bring that crazy 16 hours up to 18 hours.
Ok. Great! ICE beats EVs for iron-bladder crazy cannonball runs that can be done in 1 day.
Now what about the other 99.999% of the time?
Let's see you keep that pace on a multi-day trip. You'll need a bigger bottle and a lot more sandwiches.

Absolutely. Consider myself a road warrior. It's not as much about the drive itself as it is getting to the destination. Scenic routes? Nope. Don't care. Get on a highway and make time. I try to average 80 mph when I can.

New York to Florida, we've done in 16 hours, which was covering about 1,300 miles. Left with a full tank, had to stop for gas twice. That's not happening in any Tesla today. Sorry, it's just not. My brother has a Model 3 LR and he's never gotten even close making the same trip.
Haha makes sense for your driving style! Ty for sharing. Tot understand.

+90% of buyers still choose ICE over EV. They are used to them and have adapted to their care and feeding needs.
Realistically, those choosing a 40 mpg Civic or 50 mpg Prius are inching towards an EV. They want to reduce their costs per mile and are willing to drive a less safe, poorer handling and louder vehicle.

Governments are pushing people into EVs by providing tax credits, rebates, loans to manufacturers, and restricting polluting cars from their city centers. When it is simply cheaper to go EV, they will be more willing to make the leap.

When the pressure gets too great they will hold their nose and buy an EV. Then they will need to change their ways and adapt to this new technology.

Their cars will tend to get quieter, more handle better, be safer, need less maintenance, not pollute, and be more socially acceptable.

They will learn the value of not needing to pull into gas stations every few hundred miles, no oil changes, longer lasting brakes, no exhaust systems, no smell, no rattling engines at idle, instant torque, no annoying gear shifting transmissions, more interior space.

They will get used to having a full battery every morning, lots of charging infrastructure on highway travels, no smelly exhaust and great traffic aware cruise control for more enjoyable longer trips.
An engine rattling at idle is not normal operation. A great traffic aware cruise control has absolutely nothing to do with whether a vehicle is electric or not. Whether gear shifting is annoying or not is personal preference.

I love EVs, but you fanboys love using FUD when none is needed.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
An engine rattling at idle is not normal operation.
Actually, it is. NVH engineers have put decades of work into muffling and isolating it to hide it but you can still hear it.
A great traffic aware cruise control has absolutely nothing to do with whether a vehicle is electric or not.
This is true. Tesla's just works better than many.
Whether gear shifting is annoying or not is personal preference.
This also is a 'feature' of ICE. It, too, has been fairly well masked through decades of work by transmission engineers and the better it is hidden, the more expensive the car. In luxury cars, it is barely perceptible but it definitely does happen.

1 out of 3 is better than being completely wrong.

Your "friend" is a child.
Of course he's a child, he owns a Honda. Nothing wrong with owning a Honda, I had one myself when I was a kid.
1687535355249.png

Someday, he'll cut-off the wrong dude in a Tesla and it's not going to end well
Oh yea. Remember this dude?

1687535490557.png

Actually, it is. NVH engineers have put decades of work into muffling and isolating it to hide it but you can still hear it.

This is true. Tesla's just works better than many.

This also is a 'feature' of ICE. It, too, has been fairly well masked through decades of work by transmission engineers and the better it is hidden, the more expensive the car. In luxury cars, it is barely perceptible but it definitely does happen.

1 out of 3 is better than being completely wrong.
Never said you can’t hear the engine, I said it doesn’t rattle, if it does then it’s not normal.

I know shifting is a feature of ice. I said some people prefer it, not sure why you think thats “wrong”. I prefer shifting in my M5 it’s fun. And I know people who like shifting their Porsches, it’s why they spent extra time and money seeking out manual transmissions. Imagine thinking someone is “wrong” because they prefer a different style of vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never said you can’t hear the engine, I said it doesn’t rattle, if it does then it’s not normal.

I know shifting is a feature of ice. I said some people prefer it, not sure why you think thats “wrong”. I prefer shifting in my M5 it’s fun. And I know people who like shifting their Porsches, it’s why they spent extra time and money seeking out manual transmissions. Imagine thinking someone is “wrong” because they prefer a different style of vehicle.

Reactions: AMPd
I said some people prefer it, not sure why you think thats “wrong”. I prefer shifting in my M5 it’s fun. And I know people who like shifting their Porsches, it’s why they spent extra time and money seeking out manual transmissions.
Sure, some folks (such as me) like to ride horses and sail boats too. Nothing wrong with it.
I used to enjoy driving our 5-speed manual diesel Rabbit in the mountains. If you didn't shift in time during the switchbacks, you crawled up the next grade. I definitely don't miss a manual when stuck in traffic though. I particularly hate a 6-speed in urban traffic like the rental I was stuck with last week. I did get a good right arm and left leg workout though.
There are also those who put in aftermarket exhausts and drill holes in mufflers because they like the noise . . .