Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance 3 vs Performance 3 Upgrade Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if there is any hardware / motor difference between the two which allows the performance package upgrade to get the higher top speed of 155mph? I placed an order for a basic performance with aero wheels but having second thoughts on the performance package if it is actually a better motor .

My thoughts that I posted earlier about standard tires and brakes below:

So have owned a regular RWD for about 2 week, just want to share my thoughts on the standard 18in tires and brakes and then comment about whether it makes sense to have these standard items on a P3.

So basically on the first turn after leaving the store, I heard tires squeaking. A day later, I talked to my friend who got his car in May, and he noted that these tires frequently reach grip limit and make the squeaking noise. My wife has noted the same thing as she's driven the car a few times or sat in the car as I drove. All of us are non-aggressive drivers. Basically these standard tires are just not very good and can't really handle the car's torque in everyday driving situations. Obviously an extension of that conclusion is that these tires would be in no way fit for any level of performance driving. I would have absolutely no confidence at making a performance turn with these tires... probably would loose grip easily and spin out if you give power at the apex...

Then the brakes. These are pretty poor brakes... they are very tight, lack any feel, and it' just hard to tell how hard you are braking with them... Compare to say brakes on any BMW and Porsche, they are just poor.

So on a regular everyday model, one can deal with it. OK the tires have low limit, then don't turn too quick, don't accelerate while turning... or of course just get better tires... Brakes are kinda shitty, just start your slowdown sooner, and sometimes step on it harder compared to other cars; can learn and get used to it.

Basically I then want to talk about the P3. If these are the same standard items on the P3, then you are basically getting a handicapped car. You ll have a car with tons of power and torque, but you can't really use them because you ll have shitty tires and brakes... I assume the performance package tires and brakes are much better. Basically my thoughts are if you really want a P3 and will drive it at least sometimes spiritedly, you probably want the performance parts so you are not handicapped by poor tires and brakes. In fact I think it could be dangerous to have such a powerful car with poor tires and brakes (I guess if all you do is go fast in a straight line and always slow down smoothly below 20mph on turns, you should be OK with the standard stuff).

I got my performance edition with 18" aeros yesterday. I haven't tried high speed turns yet, but at least for straight line acceleration I haven't noticed any tire slip or squeal, although that could be due to torque limiting, so hard to say. I'm guessing most people that don't get the performance upgrade are doing so because they plan to get aftermarket rims\tires anyway.

Reactions: wbhokie
Do you really need higher top speed of 155mph?
Oh absolutely not. But if there's a hardware difference between the two motors then I'd rather go with the upgrade. If its matter of software limitation than i dont care My rationale is to ensure that I don't get left out of future software updates for the performance model simply because I didn't get the performance upgrade package.

Zero - Thanks for your detailed response. I drove the LR and tend to agree with you on the brakes. Initial bite is not there and modulation is vague . have a feeling that it will be easily correctable with better pads and tires though. Reason I'm a little skeptical with the performance upgrade package is that there is so little information on it. The suspension I hear is supposedly only a 1cm drop with no change in damping and spring rates . I got a chance to look at the upgraded brakes in person and it's def more than a paint job. With that being said most OEM BBK setups I have driven Haven't been that impressive. Front caliper and rotor are def bigger and will be able to handle higher hear capacity. I think that is a mute point though because you aren't going to be able to lap this car more than 4 to 5 times without the battery overheating anyway and lowering Power output. The rear brake calipers are a little bigger but it is still a single piston/bracket setup just like the base model but a little larger.

Oh absolutely not. But if there's a hardware difference between the two motors then I'd rather go with the upgrade. If its matter of software limitation than i dont care My rationale is to ensure that I don't get left out of future software updates for the performance model simply because I didn't get the performance upgrade package.
this is my only concern...'track mode' could be limited to only the P '+'
ok, not my only concern...Stinky tofu is concerning too.that is one smell/food from Taipei that I'm really not down with.
Street scallion pancakes though...mmmm, learned a new favorite breakfast (or anytime) food to cook
IMG_4850.JPG

Zero - Thanks for your detailed response. I drove the LR and tend to agree with you on the brakes. Initial bite is not there and modulation is vague . have a feeling that it will be easily correctable with better pads and tires though. Reason I'm a little skeptical with the performance upgrade package is that there is so little information on it. The suspension I hear is supposedly only a 1cm drop with no change in damping and spring rates . I got a chance to look at the upgraded brakes in person and it's def more than a paint job. With that being said most OEM BBK setups I have driven Haven't been that impressive. Front caliper and rotor are def bigger and will be able to handle higher hear capacity. I think that is a mute point though because you aren't going to be able to lap this car more than 4 to 5 times without the battery overheating anyway and lowering Power output. The rear brake calipers are a little bigger but it is still a single piston/bracket setup just like the base model but a little larger.

Ya may be better to just get standard and get your own tires and pads. If suspension is just 1cm lower but nothing else different, probably not worth it.