TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Performance 3D with standard wheels?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bdy0627, Jul 20, 2018.

1. bdy0627

bdy0627 Active Member

I originally ordered a performance 3D with the performance package to get the sport wheels for better traction. I really don't care about the spoiler, brakes, or pedals. As I thought about it more and read about the tires, it seemed like overkill to go for the performance package for commuting, so I dropped the option. Now that I'm seeing some initial reviews of the drive experience, I'm back wondering about the performance package. The alternative would be to get different sport tires once I get the car. I will not be racing on a track whatsoever, just driving to work and around town. I'm in the midwest and will get snow tires for the winter months, so the other tires will only be on during good weather months. Our roads in Wisconsin are pretty bumpy for the most part.

For just zipping around town, is there any compelling reason not to just go with the standard tires? I understand it won't get the most out of the performance 3, but what would I be giving up in terms of regular street and highway driving? Just a little better traction as I understand it, but gaining lower noise, better range, and a bit softer ride on the standard tires. I currently have a model S 85D with the standard tires on it, so that's what I'm used to. Thanks for any input.

2. jdmasters

jdmasters Member

you can get 18s that have more grip than the OEM 20s plus that setup will probably be lighter as well

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Thud

Thud Member

I'm getting the P3D without the perf package.
    If you regularly drive near the limits or go to the track, you probably want the perf package. It won't make any difference whatsoever on the street unless you're driving in a way that can land you in jail.

A few other things I considered: Model S owners with 21" wheels have to deal with bent rims more frequently due to the narrower sidewalls. Same thing with the 20" on the model 3.

You'll be replacing tires more frequently due to the softer compound, and give up a decent amount of range compared to the 18's (and the AWD already has lower range than RWD).

If it gets below 40F in the winter, you will lose most of your traction. The all seasons give up traction in the summer but at least maintain the same level of traction all year around. Summer tires on cold pavement can be dangerous and you'll lose stopping distance.

That said, I do like the spoiler. I'm probably going to get that at some point once it's available separately.

The 20" wheels look a lot better than the 18's with aero covers, but the 18's with the covers removed and the cap kit look pretty sweet. And you can always put grippier tires on the 18's if you want.

• Informative x 1
  4. bdy0627

bdy0627 Active Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm feeling better going with the 18s. How do you order the cap kit for the aero tires?

5. schlammbad

schlammbad New Member

One piece of information to keep in mind in case it becomes relevant... I have read elsewhere that the 18" and 19" wheels do not fit a Model 3 Performance with the optional "Performance Upgrade" package since the Performance Upgrade package includes bigger brakes. The "base" Performance Model 3 works with smaller wheel sizes.

6. jdmasters

jdmasters Member

Model 3 Aero Wheel Cap Kit

7. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Has this been definitively confirmed? Seems surprising that you couldn’t even put 19s on P3D+ cars.

8. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

9. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

In fact, you can put stock 19" wheels on P100Ds with the performance brakes which typically come with 21".

10. ba2002

ba2002 Member

I'm getting P3D with 18s. If you want better tires, just put them on the 18s. The Performance package is really for aesthetics, unless you're going to track the car and push the brakes to their limit. Aftermarket spoiler could be done for $300-$1k, shiny pedals for $50, painted calipers for $400-800, summer tires on the 18s for $1k. You _really_ have to like the 20s and need the upgraded brakes to get the PUP.