Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance acceleration held back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s something I have noticed. When accelerating from 0 mph up to about 30 mph, the power bar does not go all the way to the end, even when there are no dots showing.
Is that an indication that there is not the full potential “juice” flowing out of the battery pack?
Acceleration from about 35-40 mph shows the bar going full right away.
Anyone else notice this?
Could this be an indication of possible way to increase acceleration (software update) if the “juice” can be turned all the way up right from the beginning?

Just thinking while stuck at home.

Here’s something I have noticed. When accelerating from 0 mph up to about 30 mph, the power bar does not go all the way to the end, even when there are no dots showing.
Is that an indication that there is not the full potential “juice” flowing out of the battery pack?
Acceleration from about 35-40 mph shows the bar going full right away.
Anyone else notice this?
Could this be an indication of possible way to increase acceleration (software update) if the “juice” can be turned all the way up right from the beginning?

Just thinking while stuck at home.

The traction control will be limiting the power at lower speed, full power would shred the tyres.

“Juice” is amperage which provides torque. Max amperage is provided at zero mph (or rpm). Power is torque x rpm. Power peaks above 45 mph as the amperage trails off. An EV makes max torque but not max power at zero rpm.

The green bar shows power output and therefore only gets to the full length above 45 mph.

“Juice” is amperage which provides torque. Max amperage is provided at zero mph (or rpm). Power is torque x rpm. Power peaks above 45 mph as the amperage trails off. An EV makes max torque but not max power at zero rpm.

The green bar shows power output and therefore only gets to the full length above 45 mph.
I thought the bar represented “amperage”.

• Informative
Reactions: yerEVan
I forget the exact term but a PM switched reluctance motor (rear motor) is limited at zero RPM I believe because it's jumpy and uneven if you push too hard but quickly smooths out as the RPMs go up and you can add more juice. Somebody will chime in with the exact scientific term for that.

I thought the bar represented “amperage”.
Nope, power. Technically Tesla calls it an energy bar, but then refer to it as depicting power. Also, it’s not linear. It is more sensitive near the center when indicating lower power levels.

This is from the manual:
25F2CB0C-2535-4BF6-A62D-DFCF38186C22.jpeg

The traction control will be limiting the power at lower speed, full power would shred the tyres.
Traction control does not limit the cars in a performance launch on a dry, clean surface. The cars' tires are chosen to operate within torque limits.
The P3D definitely has a soft launch, personality I think that’s software limited
The max torque setting creates the linear acceleration you are describing.

Traction control does not limit the cars in a performance launch on a dry, clean surface. The cars' tires are chosen to operate within torque limits.

The max torque setting creates the linear acceleration you are describing.
There is way way more torque available in motors than tires can do. Also you can easily see that on a wet surface it adapts torque limits same way as on a dry.

There is way way more torque available in motors than tires can do. Also you can easily see that on a wet surface it adapts torque limits same way as on a dry.
The motors could produce more torque than the tires could handle at low RPMs, if the motors were not torque limited.

The cars are engineered so as to not require traction control to prevent spinning the tires on smooth, dry surfaces. The torque limit prevents that spin. And the tires are chosen to operate so as to not lose traction within those limits.

Yes the car has traction control. It just doesn't govern the performance of the car under normal conditions.

Last edited:
The motors could produce more torque than the tires could handle at low RPMs, if the motors were not torque limited.

The cars are engineered so as to not require traction control to prevent spinning the tires on smooth, dry surfaces. The torque limit prevents that spin. And the tires are chosen to operate so as to not lose traction within those limits.

Yes the car has traction control. It just doesn't govern the performance of the car under normal conditions.

It feels like they have been too cautious at low speeds, i can see a paid upgrade coming up for this maybe.

Given maximum current from battery to motors you can overtorque any tires. Car software learns your current grip to make smooth limits at WOT. That is part of traction control program.