Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That convinces me!

any discounts available to TMC members at this time? =p

You can use a referral code for $50 off a minimum $500 purchase. You’re welcome to use my referral code with the link below.

T Sportline - Tesla Model S, X & 3 Aftermarket Accessories

If you can wait till Black Friday or December, TSportline had some good sales last year, but you might need winter tires before then.

I ordered 2 sets of TSportline wheels in 19” metallic grey and 18” space grey.

The 19” wheels are at the tire shop getting Nokian Hakka R3’s tires mounted in 235/40/19. My 18” wheels are still boxed and will get some Nokian Hakka 9 studded tires in 235/45/18 in December.

This was a similar tire set up I had on my previous Model S, except I had R2’s instead of R3’s. The studs are awesome on icy roads and a peace of mind from ending up in a ditch or an accident with my kids in the car. My wife’s X also has dual winter tire setup with Pirelli Winter Scorpions and Hakka 9 studded.

Yes, I’m a wheel whore and enjoy swapping my sets out at home.

I’ll post pics of the 19’s that I should be picking up tomorrow... but they won’t be mounted for a few more weeks when the temps drop a little more.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Nothing scientific but over the years I’ve tried going with as small of a wheel diameter as possible to maximize sidewall height on my winter tires. Minneapolis streets start to look like the moon in winter and I think that side wall height helps.

Got it! Thanks.

Where I am we get basically no snow, but temps below 40 all the time. Sounds like I’ll be good with the 19s

Reactions: KingTito
I'm probably sticking with the Tsportline 18s as the 19s haven't been updated to the flow forged yet. They are heavier than the stock 20s...
Wow, good info. The 18s just look so... baby sized ;)

This is such a tough call. I would love to be able to just put all-seasons on the OEM 20”s and call it a year, but I worry about increased tire noise, etc. without the sound deafening foam. If they’re as quiet as the stock setup, I’d just do that.

Last edited:

This is such a tough call. I would love to be able to just put all-seasons on the OEM 20”s and call it a year, but I worry about increased tire noise, etc. without the sound deafening foam. If they’re as quiet as the stock setup, I’d just do that.

Heck my 20’s are starting to look small when I walk up to it.

I think I read a review about different tire manufacturers and their sound deadening and the results were basically hardly noticeable.

You can use a referral code for $50 off a minimum $500 purchase. You’re welcome to use my referral code with the link below.

T Sportline - Tesla Model S, X & 3 Aftermarket Accessories

If you can wait till Black Friday or December, TSportline had some good sales last year, but you might need winter tires before then.

I ordered 2 sets of TSportline wheels in 19” metallic grey and 18” space grey.

The 19” wheels are at the tire shop getting Nokian Hakka R3’s tires mounted in 235/40/19. My 18” wheels are still boxed and will get some Nokian Hakka 9 studded tires in 235/45/18 in December.

This was a similar tire set up I had on my previous Model S, except I had R2’s instead of R3’s. The studs are awesome on icy roads and a peace of mind from ending up in a ditch or an accident with my kids in the car. My wife’s X also has dual winter tire setup with Pirelli Winter Scorpions and Hakka 9 studded.

Yes, I’m a wheel whore and enjoy swapping my sets out at home.

I’ll post pics of the 19’s that I should be picking up tomorrow... but they won’t be mounted for a few more weeks when the temps drop a little more.
Wait are you saying you have two sets of winters for your car? R3 and studded 9s?

Wait are you saying you have two sets of winters for your car? R3 and studded 9s?

Correct...two sets of winters. R3’s for usual driving and Hakka 9 studded for really bad weather.

Pics of the ice storm last year of my yard and neighborhood of when it gets bad. Doesn’t happen often, but I’d rather be prepared for the worse.

Attachments

• F6232173-913A-4986-9D19-CDBB04F507C1.jpeg
    F6232173-913A-4986-9D19-CDBB04F507C1.jpeg
    494 KB · Views: 110
  • 0113E53E-49F2-4FE2-BC40-ED50F7A3E785.jpeg
    0113E53E-49F2-4FE2-BC40-ED50F7A3E785.jpeg
    808 KB · Views: 76
  • 7EFD9E29-685F-4387-9F74-5115C14CEC4C.jpeg
    7EFD9E29-685F-4387-9F74-5115C14CEC4C.jpeg
    685.7 KB · Views: 79
  • E07FA58C-F2DC-4991-9587-C4DF819DDB68.jpeg
    E07FA58C-F2DC-4991-9587-C4DF819DDB68.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 85B77FDC-AD0B-4F54-9980-80C3027AA606.jpeg
    85B77FDC-AD0B-4F54-9980-80C3027AA606.jpeg
    508.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 1E948AA7-4645-48C3-9D5C-260D8781DFB9.jpeg
    1E948AA7-4645-48C3-9D5C-260D8781DFB9.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 71
  • F295B0D8-97AC-476E-B510-B0AFD8DAEE18.jpeg
    F295B0D8-97AC-476E-B510-B0AFD8DAEE18.jpeg
    616.9 KB · Views: 79
  • A988520B-A749-449C-A2BD-4EF82CA1569C.jpeg
    A988520B-A749-449C-A2BD-4EF82CA1569C.jpeg
    824.4 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: DrDabbles
I remember reading this article from car and driver testing foam insulated vs. non-insulated tires on a Model S.

I was surprised with there results and wished I didn’t have foam in the Continentals on my wife’s Model X when she ran over a nail 3 months ago. You can’t patch or plug a puncture on a foam tire, so it cost $500 CDN to replace one tire.

Tested: Do Acoustically Insulated Tires Really Hush Road Noise? – Feature – Car and Driver

Super helpful! Looks like you can get away with any regular tire -- as long as it's quiet.

You seem very knowledgable about this stuff. If you had to keep your 20s and just install all-seasons on them for year-round use, which tire would you go with?

Last edited:
For my Model 3, I was thinking of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 that do come in 235/35/20 if I were to go with an All-season tire. Good performance and treadlife. I don’t think it is a low rolling resistant tire, so it may affect range a little.

I haven’t looked into 20” tires for my X, so I can’t comment on an A/S for the X. I did like The Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 tires on my S. Tires handled well on dry and wet conditions and treadwear was decent.

I was surprised with there results and wished I didn’t have foam in the Continentals on my wife’s Model X when she ran over a nail 3 months ago. You can’t patch or plug a puncture on a foam tire, so it cost $500 CDN to replace one tire.

They can be repaired, but the tire shop has to know how to do it. The foam has to be cut and peeled back, then the puncture repaired and patched, then the foam has to be glued back down.

Many tire shops either don't have the adhesive to re-attach the foam, or their people haven't been trained on how to do it, so they just tell the customer that they don't repair tires with the foam in them.

Correct...two sets of winters. R3’s for usual driving and Hakka 9 studded for really bad weather.

Pics of the ice storm last year of my yard and neighborhood of when it gets bad. Doesn’t happen often, but I’d rather be prepared for the worse.

That is quite a storm! But ice storms can be so beautiful.

I have to ask, why not just keep Hakka 9s on all season? That's what I have done on last 3 cars (well Hakka 7 and 8s). A couple, a pickup, and a sedan. Studs never bothered me and love to have their security.

That is quite a storm! But ice storms can be so beautiful.

I have to ask, why not just keep Hakka 9s on all season? That's what I have done on last 3 cars (well Hakka 7 and 8s). A couple, a pickup, and a sedan. Studs never bothered me and love to have their security.

A majority of the time it is wet or dry roads around here and my wife hates the clicking noise. I don’t want the studs to wear down too fast either cuz 80% of my driving are highway miles. It just gives me an excise to change up the looks of my vehicles and I look at the long range forecast to see when I should swap over. They had 1-2 feet of snow just east of the Rockies in Alberta this past week, so you never know when it’s a good time for winter tires.

I'm right there with you. I really wouldn't mind doing the Pilot A/S 3+ on the 20s and call it a day. Really wish someone had already done it so we could get feedback! The 500 wear rating would be a bonus to...