Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both the P3D+ that comes with summer tires, and the P3D- that comes with all seasons, have the same 3.5 0-60.

IIRC at least one P3D- owner swapped to performance summer tires and saw no significant change in 0-60.

The car appears to be software (or battery) limited, not traction limited.

Good point

So what would effect the performance of the P3D+ if it had All Season tires? What performance part would it lose? Handling, grip? If I can still get 3.5 sec in 0-60 then I'm not sure why I would hold on to the stock tires that come with the P3D+.

Saw this on facebook.

$1,187 (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec&partnum=335VR0PA4XLN0)

$1,039 (https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=V20296538B&wheelMake=Verde&wheelModel=Insignia&wheelFinish=Black Painted&autoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Model 3&autoYear=2018&autoModClar=Rear-Wheel Drive)

Total: $2,226

Doesn't seem like a bad price for winter tires and wheels. IMO looks pretty good, what do you guys think?

Living in Michigan here are my choices:

1. Get Pilot A/S tires ($943 but $873 after rebates) and call it good

2. Get Pilot Alpin winter tires ($1,039) and swap them for my summer tires twice a year.

2. Get the tire and wheel combo above ($2,226) and swap them out twice a year.

I'm sticking with 20" because I don't wanna deal with different wheel sizes. If I end up liking the Black wheels (pic posted), I can always switch the winter tires for summer tires when it comes summer time.

I've also looked at EVT Wheel for Tesla Model 3 ("Turbine" Style) ($1,296) and the Onyx Black Turbine wheels look even better then the stock P3D+ wheels IMO. I might get that with winter tires and may even use the same wheels for my summer tires.

Attachments

• 43065999_10218361570330434_1559096441530482688_n.jpg
    43065999_10218361570330434_1559096441530482688_n.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 43045371_10218361570090428_2832365480981823488_o.jpg
    43045371_10218361570090428_2832365480981823488_o.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 43122646_10218361570450437_3756941858136129536_o.jpg
    43122646_10218361570450437_3756941858136129536_o.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 43148239_1133265640183024_6128290712116002816_n-1.jpg
    43148239_1133265640183024_6128290712116002816_n-1.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 80
Good point

So what would effect the performance of the P3D+ if it had All Season tires? What performance part would it lose? Handling, grip? If I can still get 3.5 sec in 0-60 then I'm not sure why I would hold on to the stock tires that come with the P3D+.

Depends on the tires... really good all seasons like the A/S 3+? You wouldn't lose much... a bit of handling at the very edge that most people don't need in street driving... with mediocre all seasons (like what they put stock on the 18s) you'd lose some meaningful things like braking distance though.

What's the difference between

and

EVT Wheel for Tesla Model 3 ("Turbine" Style)

They look the same but TST is about $400 more ($800 if counting TPMS)

How come evwheeldirect didn't offer TPMS? I've never been a car guy until Tesla, so could someone explain to me what TPMS is? If I went with the evwheeldirect route and chose their tires, where would I get TPMS since they doesn't offer?

I really couldn't tell you what the difference is. When I bought rims for my X I bought from tspotline because they where the stock width. If I remember correctly at the time Evwheeldirect rims weren't as wide. Now I see they have different widths.

Tpms are the sensors that detect how much air is in the tires. I bought mine at tirerack, worked fine. Had it installed when I got tires installed. I didn't buy tires from tsportline.

I started reading thread but didn't go through it all so not sure if anyone mentioned this....

If you have snow in the winter and don't want to swap rim/tire get an all weather tire. Nokian makes them, not sure who else does. Changing tires on the same rim basically twice a year stretches and ruins your tire.

Performance tires and even "all season" tires are like a hockey puck on ice.... As it gets cold rubber freezes and slides. It's your life your messing with.

Good point

I would avoid the AS3+s (read the reviews) and consider the Continental DWS 06s. There are rumors that they are lighter, last longer, and have even better rolling resistance than the OEM summer tires! They're 0.3" wider, too, so you get a bit more grip.

• Helpful
Reactions: PA ZU and skrtskrt
What's the difference between

and

EVT Wheel for Tesla Model 3 ("Turbine" Style)

They look the same but TST is about $400 more ($800 if counting TPMS)

How come evwheeldirect didn't offer TPMS? I've never been a car guy until Tesla, so could someone explain to me what TPMS is? If I went with the evwheeldirect route and chose their tires, where would I get TPMS since they doesn't offer?
I initially ordered from ev wheels direct but they are not meant for the performance model. They don’t have the boar machined out properly. I went with t sport line because they do.

That's pretty... reductive :)

Not really? YOU said "I would avoid the AS3+s (read the reviews) "

So I read a review by one of the most well respected names in tires. And they contradicted your claim.

tesla pilot sport vs. dws 06 - Google Search

I'd look at these. Tesla S/X owners who opted for the DWS 06s and/or AS3+s. The consistent winner is DWS 06. The AS3+s consistently sound loud, if nothing else, where the DWS 06s seem to have no compromise.

Your link is a bunch of google results.

The first one is tirerack. The exact test I sent you, where they find the A/S 3+ outperforming the DWS06 in nearly every single performance test.

The second is from these forums (model s section) that has one owner, on a different car, with different wheels, who said he found the DWS quieter.

The third was a tesla forum thread where nobody says the DWS06 is better at all, in fact one guy says "There is another all-season that's as good or better than the Continental, it's the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+"

The fourth is a BMW forum thread where nobody compared them directly at all, but one guy mentions he "heard" an older version of the A/S (not the A/S 3+) was loud... then someone who has actually HAD both tires says "I've had both and I live in NJ. I prefer the Mich A/S 3 for better handling, performance and they lasted longer"

So... your link doesn't seem to support your claim.... (or possibly you remember some old discussion of the older version of the A/S and are applying it to the A/S3+ which appears to be a much better tire?)

Not really? YOU said "I would avoid the AS3+s (read the reviews) "

So I read a review by one of the most well respected names in tires. And they contradicted your claim.

Your link is a bunch of google results.

The first one is tirerack. The exact test I sent you, where they find the A/S 3+ outperforming the DWS06 in nearly every single performance test.

The second is from these forums (model s section) that has one owner, on a different car, with different wheels, who said he found the DWS quieter.

The third was a tesla forum thread where nobody says the DWS06 is better at all, in fact one guy says "There is another all-season that's as good or better than the Continental, it's the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+"

The fourth is a BMW forum thread where nobody compared them directly at all, but one guy mentions he "heard" an older version of the A/S (not the A/S 3+) was loud... then someone who has actually HAD both tires says "I've had both and I live in NJ. I prefer the Mich A/S 3 for better handling, performance and they lasted longer"

So... your link doesn't seem to support your claim.... (or possibly you remember some old discussion of the older version of the A/S and are applying it to the A/S3+ which appears to be a much better tire?)

Yikes. My point was it was a lot easier for me to find uncompromised praise for the DWS06 than the AS3+. The consistent feedback on the latter is that they’re great, but loud at highway speeds (Loud Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+??). That isn’t being said about the DWS06s. Just search “as3+ loud.”

In any event, I retract my statement.

Tell you what: I’ll run DWS 06s and you run AS3+s and we’ll keep both tire companies in business :)

Last edited:
Reactions: UltralightBeam
Yikes. My point was it was a lot easier for me to find uncompromised praise for the DWS06 than the AS3+. The consistent feedback on the latter is that they’re great, but loud at highway speeds (Loud Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+??). That isn’t being said about the DWS06s. Just search “as3+ loud.”

In any event, I retract my statement.

Good thing, since the first reply in your own link there is:

"I just put them on my car and they don't seem any louder than the stock Pirelli's or Conti DWS I've run in the past." :)

Tell you what: I’ll run DWS 06s and you run AS3+s and we’ll keep both tire companies in business :)

Fair enough- though honestly my choice is gonna be between the AS3+ and the PS 4S... Normally I'd just do the 4S and leave it parked for the handful of times it's ever below freezing and wet here... but the AS3+ test scores are the first all-season I've seen close enough to the PS 4S I'm seriously considering em as a year rounder for the significantly longer tread life and "good enough for non-track use" performance.

I’m just at a tossup between performance all seasons vs Blizzaks for my Nov-April set here in Chicago. We get on ave about 30 or so inches of snow in the winter total and it’s usually just freezing cold in Jan and Feb...

On the “dry” days are the Blizzaks poor performing or wear any worse than all seasons?

Thoughts?