Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered a P3D+, and I'm looking at the winter tire options here. Even though my area doesn't see snow, we do see cold temperatures and wet conditions, for which the Pilot Sport 4S isn't appropriate.

Now debating between the T-Sportline 18s and the new EVT 19s. Though the T-Sportline 18s fit, the clearance between the wheel and the brake calipers bothers me. The EVT 19s are less expensive, but no Nokian WRG4s are available in the proper size, so I'd need to go to the Vredestein Quatrac 5 instead if I want a 3PMS tire.

Probably will end up going with the T-Sportline 18s.

In the same dilemma with the WRG4. I want the 19" rim so might just get the 255/40-19 nokian which should fit. I'm just concerned about efficiency loss with such a large tire

I just ordered a P3D+, and I'm looking at the winter tire options here. Even though my area doesn't see snow, we do see cold temperatures and wet conditions, for which the Pilot Sport 4S isn't appropriate.

Now debating between the T-Sportline 18s and the new EVT 19s. Though the T-Sportline 18s fit, the clearance between the wheel and the brake calipers bothers me. The EVT 19s are less expensive, but no Nokian WRG4s are available in the proper size, so I'd need to go to the Vredestein Quatrac 5 instead if I want a 3PMS tire.

Probably will end up going with the T-Sportline 18s.

what

Why would you not just get a set of tires that aren't ultra performance? You don't see snow, but you get cold and rain. So buy tires that have a high rain handling rating. Why would you waste the money on another set of wheels, and more bizarrely why would you make them smaller? This makes no sense at all.

what

Why would you not just get a set of tires that aren't ultra performance? You don't see snow, but you get cold and rain. So buy tires that have a high rain handling rating. Why would you waste the money on another set of wheels, and more bizarrely why would you make them smaller? This makes no sense at all.

You're not understanding my objectives. I don't want all-season tires. I want to possibly drive the car on the drag strip or the track during the summer, that requires high-performance summer tires like the ones that come with the car (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, 20"). Those are completely unsuitable for cold and wet conditions, so I must have another set of tires. I am not going to have wear and tear put on the tires by having a tire shop unmount and remount 8 tires twice a year on one set of wheels. Thus, I also must have another set of wheels.

If I'm already into the money for another set of tires and another set of wheels that I have to use during the winter, then the 2nd set is going to be optimized for winter driving. Thus, tires that are the best for my area in the winter (Nokian WRG4 or Vredestein Quatrac 5), and wheels that optimize those tire selections (perfect sizes for both available in 18").

This makes perfect sense. If you don't understand it, I don't know what else to tell you.

You're not understanding my objectives. I don't want all-season tires. I want to possibly drive the car on the drag strip or the track during the summer, that requires high-performance summer tires like the ones that come with the car (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, 20"). Those are completely unsuitable for cold and wet conditions, so I must have another set of tires. I am not going to have wear and tear put on the tires by having a tire shop unmount and remount 8 tires twice a year on one set of wheels. Thus, I also must have another set of wheels.

If I'm already into the money for another set of tires and another set of wheels that I have to use during the winter, then the 2nd set is going to be optimized for winter driving. Thus, tires that are the best for my area in the winter (Nokian WRG4 or Vredestein Quatrac 5), and wheels that optimize those tire selections (perfect sizes for both available in 18").

This makes perfect sense. If you don't understand it, I don't know what else to tell you.
Are the quatrac 5's 3PMSF rated?

Wear and tear by mounting and dismounting tires. That's utter nonsense.

So money is important, then. Yet you disagree with a post I made that lets people save money on TPMS modules?

Talk about making no sense at all. :rolleyes:

o_O

Spending thousands on wheels you don't need to downsize to tires you don't need to downsize to is unnecessary spending when you could just get 20" tires optimized for rainy driving. Buying cheap generic brand TPMS is fraught with issues, and needing to program them to work with the Model 3 is hilarious. You're looking at spending nearly the same price all in for those jank TPMS compared to known working ones.

In other words, you're cheaping out on a component that will hound you and cause you annoyance, but spending foolishly on a wheel and tire combo you don't need.

Wear and tear by mounting and dismounting tires. That's utter nonsense.

There's several other people in this very same thread who have cited the wear and tear just like I did. But no harassment and disagreement with them, right? Only with me.

Buying cheap generic brand TPMS is fraught with issues, and needing to program them to work with the Model 3 is hilarious. You're looking at spending nearly the same price all in for those jank TPMS compared to known working ones.

"Janky?" Have you ever used them? Do you have actual experience with them to know if they work or not? I thought not.

I have a set of them on my Model 3 right now that are working perfectly. And the set was $102, not $260 like Tesla would charge you. That's why I believe they're a great deal.

spending foolishly on a wheel and tire combo you don't need.

Now you're telling me what I need? Your arrogance is beyond ridiculous.

Furthermore, you haven't explained anything as to how I should meet my tire/wheel goals that I explained earlier.

Go put whatever tires and wheels you want on your Model 3. Oh wait, that's right, you don't actually have one yet. Meanwhile I have 4 years of Tesla driving in two different models and have performed all of my own tire and wheel maintenance since day one with my Model S.

I will continue to post here and anywhere else I like with my opinion.

I don't even know where all of this is coming from. I'm just a guy on a forum with an opinion. Yet you've singled me out at every turn. What is your beef?

I talked with my tire person and they are ordering 1 245/40r20 Hakka 9 studded. We are test fitting it Monday afternoon and I will let everyone know the results! Obviously a 245 will fit the 8.5" rim, but concerned extra height may hit suspension components. If this doesn't work, I will be looking at 19" rims.

On that note, does anyone know of staggered 19"? Tsportline only does square 19".

Thanks!

I talked with my tire person and they are ordering 1 245/40r20 Hakka 9 studded. We are test fitting it Monday afternoon and I will let everyone know the results! Obviously a 245 will fit the 8.5" rim, but concerned extra height may hit suspension components. If this doesn't work, I will be looking at 19" rims.

On that note, does anyone know of staggered 19"? Tsportline only does square 19".

Thanks!

EVT is saying they will have 19" staggered by November I believe. I thought you didnt want to run AWD staggered snow tires though due to uneven tread wear?

I just read a different thread that shows a difference in the hub of a P3D+. Has anybody here solved that? Looks like it's best to just buy snow tires for the stock wheels rather than dealing with all this hassle.

Yep there is a small lip on the hub and i believe you also need some other cut-outs on the inner surface of the wheel as well. It's not too complicated to do and i think we will quickly see a few different wheels being offered that are compatible with the P3D+. T Sportline already offers one such wheel.

I just read a different thread that shows a difference in the hub of a P3D+. Has anybody here solved that? Looks like it's best to just buy snow tires for the stock wheels rather than dealing with all this hassle.

We offer wheels in 18", 19", and 20" for all Model 3's. Indicate the Model 3 Spec you own so you receive the correct wheels.

EVT is saying they will have 19" staggered by November I believe. I thought you didnt want to run AWD staggered snow tires though due to uneven tread wear?

I have two plans that I mashed together :)
Plan 1: These Nokians work.
Plan 2: That is true. But I am a 1 rim person typically, so am thinking I will sell my P3D+ wheels for 19" staggered. Meaning yes in winter may get some uneven wear, but in summer the car needs more rubber.

Can you post some pictures (close ups) of the wheels on a P3D+? I'm curious how much actual clearance there is between the 18s and the calipers, particularly in the rear.

Pearl White Performance Model 3 with Silver 18" TST Wheels

pearl-white-tesla-model-3-performance-upgrade-silver-18-inch-tst-turbine-style-wheels-1.jpg
pearl-white-tesla-model-3-performance-upgrade-silver-18-inch-tst-turbine-style-wheels-3.jpg
pearl-white-tesla-model-3-performance-upgrade-silver-18-inch-tst-turbine-style-wheels-4.jpg
pearl-white-tesla-model-3-performance-upgrade-silver-18-inch-tst-turbine-style-wheels-5.jpg

I have a more basic question. Like others I am also in the pnw. I also go to area mountains for skiing and I've been doing it on an AWD s for a few years with all season tires. On the s the 20" tires weren't as good for winter driving and were said to have more flats; I have 19". If I buy a 3p+ it seems like the default tires from Tesla won't work as well as my current winter driving, but no one quite spelled that out. Is it correct that for this light weight winter driving I should get different tires than the tires that come with the car? If I just got the AWD 3 would it be different instead of the p3+?

Apparently EVT has started selling their 19" rims for the P3D+. EVT Wheel for Tesla Model 3 ("Turbine" Style)

If they have better customer service I'll go with them.

I've seen these from EVT before but now just realizing it's basically the same price with the edge to @Tsportline IMO.

By the way, if anyone needs TPMS modules for their wheels, I'm offering a solution that's a lot less expensive than the Tesla or other compatible aftermarket sensors. The Autel MX Sensor-1 sensors work perfectly with the Model 3, and I'm offering programming service for them. See the following two threads if you want to take advantage.

Found Least Expensive Compatible TPMS Sensors - $25.50/ea

For Sale: Programming Service for Autel TPMS Sensors - $25

This looks like a great deal and service from a forum expert (As in.. this individual seems to know what their doing) any referrals from the forums yet?

We offer wheels in 18", 19", and 20" for all Model 3's. Indicate the Model 3 Spec you own so you receive the correct wheels.

Hey @Tsportline any current specials for TMC forum users? ie shipping included deals and what not? :) Definitely interested!