Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any advantage to 18" tires over 20" tires for the winter? I was assuming they would be better, and I have always had smaller winters than summers, but if the surface area is the same, does it make any difference? I am in Toronto, so the winters are up and down temperature-wise, and we don't generally have much snow accumulation on the roads. Most of the time it's either dry, or a slushy mess.

Here in Minnesota, I've had snow tires on separate wheels for every car for quite a long time and I've always gone down in wheel diameter so I could have a taller sidewall height as the roads take a beating here in the winter. Also go with narrower tires. Crashing through potholes on 20's doesn't seem like a great idea. If your roads in ON aren't that beat up and you don't deal with snow accumulation than your winter tire needs may be more about cold temperature than crashing through potholes on snow/ice packed roads.

Has anyone asked a "nearest" Tesla Service Center? I've called mine a number of times but the wait time is so long that I give up. I'm curious what the current recommendation is.

I finally called my local service center. The only real option that they are offering is 235/35/20 Perelli Sottozero Serie II for $450 a tire. They can build a winter tire package with new 20 inch wheels and tires for $4100 total. They didn’t have any inside info on why the 19 inch OEM wheels will not work.

I finally called my local service center. The only real option that they are offering is 235/35/20 Perelli Sottozero Serie II for $450 a tire. They can build a winter tire package with new 20 inch wheels and tires for $4100 total. They didn’t have any inside info on why the 19 inch OEM wheels will not work.

I'm pretty sure the reason the19 inch OEM wheels will not work is that Tesla doesn't offer that wheel with the machining to fit the rear brake rotor hub that makes the P3D+ wheels special.

I would take a look at their all weather comparisons (e.g. Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, Michelin CrossClimate +, Nokian WRG4, Toyo Celsius, and Vredestein Quatrac 5.)

For those of us who don't have access to CR though I'd be interested in seeing what they say. I'm planning on Nokian WRG4

I like your recommendations. I see that you picked "all-weather" from the list of Performance "all-season" tires.
The top rated Michelin CrossClimate + - where do you find 235/45/18? Seems to be sold in Europe and not US.

Michelin ranked 1 out of 25 tested with score of 75 and Good in every category (dry & wet braking, handling, hydroplaning, snow traction, ice braking, noise, rolling resistance); Goodyear was ranked 4 with score of 64 mostly good with avg in dry, wet, ice braking and snow traction; Vredestein ranked 7 with score 62 (same as Goodyear with avg handling); Nokian ranked 12 with score of 59 (below avg wet braking) Toyo ranked 23 overall score of 53.

When I compare the all weather to snow tires, all of the winter tires have "worse" (that's worse than below avg) wet braking, below avg dry braking of course you gain "best" (that's better than good) snow traction and ice braking. Seems like terrible trade off. Now that you pointed out the all-weather tires - they seem like a better way to good; especially if you are not in all-snow-all-the-time city.

What am I missing? why would someone in Chicago area (couple of snowfalls; snow tends to not stay around more than week) want actual snow tires with terrible wet braking when "all-weather" is good in the snow and dry and wet.

When I look at tirerack.com their ratings and comparisons show Michelin X-ice XI3 as good in all conditions; while Consumer Reports testing shows "worse" wet braking and below avg dry braking. Who do I believe tirerack or consumer reports?

appreciate the help

Well, that article is already 3 ½ yrs old, but it should still be relevant. That said, while winter tires are constantly improving, so are all-season tires.

In the tire test article cited by Lunares, I think three of those "all-season" tires actually have the 3 peak mountain snowflake, 3pmsf, designation, meaning they passed a snow tire test. They also qualify as snow tires in Quebec, which requires snow tires in Winter.

Update on my winter setup: I finally mounted Michelin Alpin PA4's in 235/35/20 square to the 20 inch wheels that come with the performance plus model 3. While I have had no snow or really cold temps yet to test them I was shocked by how well they handled in mild dry temps compared to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires that come with the car. While the Alpins are not quite as grippy, which is to be expected given they are a winter performance tire, they certainly still have a ton of performance feel and I cannot discern any increase in road noise. I know they will not be quite as good in deep snow and slush as a true snow tire, but they seem to get great winter performance ratings from Tire Rack (video below) and I can certainly vouch for the fact that they keep their "fun" factor on dry roads.

We are transitioning our entire wheel offerings from here on out into forged manufacturing process. Some machine forged, some flow forged.

@Tsportline,

Awesome news. When will the transition and new offerings be complete? Kudos to @Tsportline for stepping up on the P3D+ 3mm lip issue and your new offerings on those. I’m shopping now for a Winter Tire/rim setup for my P3D+.

Ski

Beatrice (Model 3 Performance w/PUO) has the 18" TST Silver with Continental DWS06 All Season on her currently.

For those in the Bellevue (and maybe Seattle broadly) area, we might be able to arrange time to meet up if you want to take a look at spacing/fit/etc. (especially for TOC PNW members). Depending on the location and timing, maybe even a ride.

Beatrice (Model 3 Performance w/PUO) has the 18" TST Silver with Continental DWS06 All Season on her currently.

For those in the Bellevue (and maybe Seattle broadly) area, we might be able to arrange time to meet up if you want to take a look at spacing/fit/etc. (especially for TOC PNW members). Depending on the location and timing, maybe even a ride.

What is the spacing between the caliper and the wheel? I understand that 3-4mm is the minimum. Thanks!

What am I missing? why would someone in Chicago area (couple of snowfalls; snow tends to not stay around more than week) want actual snow tires with terrible wet braking when "all-weather" is good in the snow and dry and wet.

When I look at tirerack.com their ratings and comparisons show Michelin X-ice XI3 as good in all conditions; while Consumer Reports testing shows "worse" wet braking and below avg dry braking. Who do I believe tirerack or consumer reports?

What do you think about the Jan -Feb deep freeze we always get? I would think that the winters would have an edge here... But yeah, melted snow/slush must of dec going into Jan perhaps or just cold rain...

Still thinking winters for me but now starting to look into some of these more ‘winter friendly’ all seasons.. IDK.. Too many choices IMO and it makes it tough. OH yeah.. too many opinions on the articles too.

They seem to lean towards a dedicated winter set with the all seasons strictly favoring someone who wants to use them all year...

I corded the outer edges of our Michelin Pilot Sport 4S over 1 track weekend and replaced with all seasons. That wasn't intentional for us, but your approach does have merit. ;)

Holy crap. I’m stupid.

Here I was pricing out a winter wheel+tire set when — of course! Just scrap the summer tires and buy some all-seasons!

One wheel set. Yay.

What all-seasons did you go with?

What all-seasons did you go with?
On the OEM 20" wheels, the Michelin AS3+. I also picked up a set of 18" TST wheels with Continental DWS 06.

I would probably just gotten the latter if the timing was better (the TST arrived 2 days after another out of town trip).

Eventually, I'll probably settle on summers for one of the two sets of wheels.

That looks great! Any plans on offering that set with the stock Tesla specced MXM4 tires? (Acoustic Foam / Low Rolling Resistance?)

How's your efficiency with the DWS06? I plan on doing road trips with this car, so need to get a set of All Seasons. Would like to be as efficient as possible to minimize supercharging. If only the stock aero's fit......

Is there any concern running 18s with the different forearm links on the upgrade package? Uneven wear?

I’m waffling in P3D- and P3D+ and my order is going to confirm any day. I’ll have to figure out a winter solution quickly as it’ll be cold in MD by November and I’m torn between the Tsportline 18s or just putting all seasons on the 20s,

Is there any concern running 18s with the different forearm links on the upgrade package? Uneven wear?

I’m waffling in P3D- and P3D+ and my order is going to confirm any day. I’ll have to figure out a winter solution quickly as it’ll be cold in MD by November and I’m torn between the Tsportline 18s or just putting all seasons on the 20s,

The benefits of the 18s are availability of Tesla Spec All Season Tires (acoustic foam, low rolling resistance), lower unsprung weight. Using all seasons on the 20s is also fine but you probably wont fire a low rolling resistance tire, or acoustic foam other than the same summer PS4's from Michelin.

Most of the 20's I found were performance tires.