Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it helps, post 435 is my initial review of the A/S 3+. 300 miles in and I am very happy and will use them year round. I do not see any noticeable difference in performance between these and the summer tires that came on the car, so doesn't seem worth the hassle of switching them. Prior to my post there were a number of positive reviews of the A/S 3+ but one user had a bad experience that seemed to spook some. That led a couple to go with Continentals and they also got positive reviews.

Long story short, you have several pretty good options here so don't get discouraged.

That's good to hear. I just check the snowiest states and Pittsburgh snows more then Michigan so that's kinda comforting to know we can relate to something instead of someone else telling me to get A/S 3+ that live in a state that doesn't snow as much lol.

What's your rationale with going with 20" in the winter?

That's good to hear. I just check the snowiest states and Pittsburgh snows more then Michigan so that's kinda comforting to know we can relate to something instead of someone else telling me to get A/S 3+ that live in a state that doesn't snow as much lol.

What's your rationale with going with 20" in the winter?

I just liked the look of the 20s too much! Initially, I thought I would pick up a set of the Tsportsline 18s and do the summer/winter tire switch. But after getting my car - and then seeing some 3s locally with 18s on them...they just don't make my heart sing like the 20s. I've lived in some pretty snowy places (including Pittsburgh and Minneapolis) and never had anything but all seasons (and have survived to tell the tale!) and the A/S 3+ had excellent reviews, so I took the leap. Been very pleased and Tire Rack gives you two years of road hazard protection if you have somewhere local to install them. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the insight. What other expansive ongoing maintenance are you talking about?

Maintenance items like replacing the two-piece rotors and their matching pads is going to absolutely blow some people away price wise. Especially now that we know from Tesla that the Model 3s people are buying are the most expensive vehicles several people have owned. Performance parts are vastly more expensive than normal consumer parts, especially for low volume vehicles like Teslas. For rotors alone, I'm expecting something in the neighborhood of $1200-1600 for a set of four. For pads, I'd expect somewhere in the $250 range for a set on the front and $150-200 for a set on the rear. I'd find those prices pretty reasonable, and they'd be relatively in-line with performance parts I've purchased for another vehicle. Brembo doesn't make cheap equipment.

Replacing tires is around $400 each for the OEM tire directly from Tesla. You can find them cheaper from Tire Rack or your local shop, no doubt, but that's the going Tesla price. Buying the whole 20" wheel and tire package is $4000, so that probably means wheels are around $600 each if you need to replace them. Again, you can go aftermarket with someone like TSportline, and those are $1760 for a set of four without TPMS.

The rest of the vehicle except or the suspension is the same, so things like coolant and lubricant flushes will be the same for everyone. Though I think a lot of people are going to be surprised at the cost of maintenance from Tesla, especially at their hourly shop rate of $175/hr if I remember correctly.

Basically, this isn't your standard Toyota or Honda maintenance. And if someone went from an economy car to a P3D expecting to save on maintenance, they're going to be pretty surprised in two years when their first maintenance is due.

Just to give an update on my AS3+ experience. I was the one who did not find these tires to be as quiet/comfortable as the 4S tires that came with the 20” wheels. My main issue is the road noise at highway speeds. There is a loud wurr sound accompanied with some slight vibration. This points to an unbalanced tire, but it does not appear to be the case. The rims also do not appear to be bent/damaged. As I mentioned earlier, the noise is so bad that I booked an appointment with the service center to get it checked out.

During the appointment, I went on a drive with the tech and confirmed the sound/vibration, most noticeable at speeds 60mph+. His first thought was that it was tire noise, but they needed to see if it still occurred with the stock 4S tires. I went on my merry way (home) while they figured it out. During their testing, they removed my wheels/tires and mounted the stock 20” rims/4S tires, took a test drive and confirmed no sound/vibration. They then mounted my rims/tires back on and confirmed the sound/vibration came back. Not a solution, just a diagnosis, obviously not what I was hoping for.

With that said, I’m not convinced it’s just the tires, though they may be amplying some other issue. When I first drove the car at highway speeds (with the stock 4S tires), I remember hearing a similar sound with vibration, though not as consistent. I probably should have made an appointment then, but I was too excited just finally being able to drive it. My daily commute doesn’t involve much highway speed driving, so it didn’t really bother me if the problem had been there from the beginning. I only really noticed the issue when I did multiple trips utilizing highways, also turning off the music so I could listen more carefully.

Tesla is willing to work with me, they will let me go on a test drive with the stock tires, they just don’t have a set handy. I will post any other updates and hopefully there is some resolution. The tech even admitted that the sound/vibration would drive him crazy. Unfortunately, since Tesla doesn’t offer a 20” all-season tire, it’s an uphill battle since these tires are aftermarket and not officially supported by them, in addition to not containing the sound-deadening foam.

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51
Yeah.. So the latest I have heard myself is that @Tsportline 18" that were due end of October are now due in End of November and then who knows if that's even the true story. I read here in this thread someone speaking with them and they told this user that they were stuck in customs so should start shipping soon. I don't even know what to believe anymore. I'm most concerned about the safety of the car now that I don't have winters on and the temps are slowly approaching 30-40˚F. Well, the 30˚ are really the lows of a couple of nights coming up this week but who knows what's in store the rest of the month.

Should us midwesterners still be concerned with the 20" Summer Tires?

Yeah.. So the latest I have heard myself is that @Tsportline 18" that were due end of October are now due in End of November and then who knows if that's even the true story. I read here in this thread someone speaking with them and they told this user that they were stuck in customs so should start shipping soon. I don't even know what to believe anymore. I'm most concerned about the safety of the car now that I don't have winters on and the temps are slowly approaching 30-40˚F. Well, the 30˚ are really the lows of a couple of nights coming up this week but who knows what's in store the rest of the month.

Should us midwesterners still be concerned with the 20" Summer Tires?

I would have bought the 18" if they were available immediately but due to our midwest situations I had to get A/S 3+ for my stock 20".

Does this mean that the car will be okay as long as I drive in weather where the temp is 20˚ or less? Just pray for no snow???
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

And here was the quote from them telling a forum member that they were on their way...

Just called TSportline to get an update on their back ordered wheel situation.

They told me that they are unloading the truck right now and expect to begin shipping the back orders next week (at least for the 19" Metallic Grey version).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 1.42.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 1.42.13 PM.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I definitely hope @Tsportline shipments start soon, they are calling for our potentially first snow this Thursday.

I’m getting worried also. I ordered early October and it’s getting to the point where I’m not driving my car as it’s too cold in the mornings.

This Friday low is 16F.

It’s probably my fault. I held off on ordering until October but I reached out to them in September about fit of the 18’s as there was a lot of discussion on the forums.

All I got back from them was “they fit” but only recently were videos posted and were people confirming fit.

I should have made the leap in September.

I could not wait anymore for the TSportLine 18s.
I ordered the 19s space grey with the SottoZero 3. That’s almost $700 more than the 18s but the 19s are in stock!
While on the phone with them today they confirmed that the 18’s are in route in the container but are not in port yet. So while the 19s are 29 pounds instead of the light 18s that are 22 pounds, I caved and went with now instead of later because I need winter tires in minnesota.

There is a video on Utube that shows the 18s installed on a performance mode 3. They look really good and this video confirms the perfect fit.

Reactions: UltralightBeam
From personal experience, with AMG Mercedes and RS model Audi's I've owned, the tires turn into rock hard "stones" and they're just awful, quite dangerous. They have no grip. My C63s AMG on Summers tires, in the winter before I got winters on would literally skip like it was jump roping or something. The compound in summer tires turns rock hard when they're cold as the compound in Winter tires stays supple "soft" and grippy when it's cold, that's why winters are a must. Even with AWD, with summers on, you're not going to have very good traction. If it snows, is icy or super cold, take high caution with even driving in it at all. Get winters on as soon as it's 45 degrees or less or snow is on the horizon.

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51
I could not wait anymore for the TSportLine 18s.
I ordered the 19s space grey with the SottoZero 3. That’s almost $700 more than the 18s but the 19s are in stock!
While on the phone with them today they confirmed that the 18’s are in route in the container but are not in port yet. So while the 19s are 29 pounds instead of the light 18s that are 22 pounds, I caved and went with now instead of later because I need winter tires in minnesota.

There is a video on Utube that shows the 18s installed on a performance mode 3. They look really good and this video confirms the perfect fit.

I didn’t realize they weren’t in port yet. Last update I got was mid November I believe. I may just have to wait. I have Hakka 3s waiting for the wheels to arrive. Fortunately I have another car to drive.

Don’t know. But on the phone they said that it Left the factory. So that part is very important. Ship will arrive. When? They currently say 2 weeks.
They also mentioned they the Michelin X ice is listed now for the 18s because Pirelli is out of sottozero 2 in the US. I think this has to do with the Tesla Model 3 surge in sale (since it’s the default 18 inch winter tire for Tesla) but I can’t prove it.

Don’t forget there are now other options out there from Tire rack and other vendors. The 18” Flow One are flow forged like the 18” TST, weigh only 0.9lbs more are $330 cheaper and looks like are still in stock at the moment. And it was shown by someone on the boards to fit/clear the p3d+ (can we even call it that anymore? Hah)

Maintenance items like replacing the two-piece rotors and their matching pads is going to absolutely blow some people away price wise. Especially now that we know from Tesla that the Model 3s people are buying are the most expensive vehicles several people have owned. Performance parts are vastly more expensive than normal consumer parts, especially for low volume vehicles like Teslas. For rotors alone, I'm expecting something in the neighborhood of $1200-1600 for a set of four. For pads, I'd expect somewhere in the $250 range for a set on the front and $150-200 for a set on the rear. I'd find those prices pretty reasonable, and they'd be relatively in-line with performance parts I've purchased for another vehicle. Brembo doesn't make cheap equipment.

Replacing tires is around $400 each for the OEM tire directly from Tesla. You can find them cheaper from Tire Rack or your local shop, no doubt, but that's the going Tesla price. Buying the whole 20" wheel and tire package is $4000, so that probably means wheels are around $600 each if you need to replace them. Again, you can go aftermarket with someone like TSportline, and those are $1760 for a set of four without TPMS.

The rest of the vehicle except or the suspension is the same, so things like coolant and lubricant flushes will be the same for everyone. Though I think a lot of people are going to be surprised at the cost of maintenance from Tesla, especially at their hourly shop rate of $175/hr if I remember correctly.

Basically, this isn't your standard Toyota or Honda maintenance. And if someone went from an economy car to a P3D expecting to save on maintenance, they're going to be pretty surprised in two years when their first maintenance is due.
Cost wise I assume it will be BMW territory, but hopefully less maintenance overall. (and fewer repairs? I hope!?)

Reactions: DrDabbles
View attachment 345981 Test fit the 19” Flow One F3’s this weekend. They clear the lip on the hub. But tolerance of the spacers are very tight...and need to rock the wheel to fully seat them on the hub. Waiting to here from Tire Rack to see if they can measure and send out another set. I measured them as 64.08/.09 and should be 64.1. Otherwise should be good to go when it’s time to officially mount for the season.

Update on weights: Flow one set weighs in at 48 lbs, stock 20’s weigh 52.4 lbs

UPDATE: TireRack revised their rings for the P3d+. I received the revised rings from TireRack yesterday. Mesured them with a digital caliper and the ID is bigger than the original ones sent. Pretty confident there shouldn’t be any issues slipping them on anymore. Hoping to test fit the new rings this weekend.

Shouldn't a pair of all weathers be better all-around than the 20" winters that Tesla is now selling? I mean really, the cost is nuts for the tires, I found the Michelin A/S 3+ to be a reasonable alternative to the tires cracking under 40F with the summer tires that they delivered the car with. I also really have to question why a company, delivering to the northeast, would ship a $75,000 car with summer tires at the end of August and offer no recourse for the customer other than to pony up more cash. I went through Mavis corporate, got a pretty good discount on the A/S 3+ 20" for the M3P, had Mavis actually lift the car (no problems), and the guy literally said "the tires practically aligned themselves". Very simple. I could understand if you are in Buffalo or Canada, and are intending to drive the car through a total slog of massive snow, but at that point, Id really consider putting chains on the damn things. I don't see any reason to go crazy on the winter tire performance package (another 4 grand... REALLY?). No thanks. I'll stick with Michelin all weathers. I'll probably swap them out in April or May back to the summer tires.