TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Performance model 3 vs AWD

Discussion in 'Canada' started by pcons, Aug 1, 2018.

1. pcons

pcons AWDs on the way to Canada!

One thing I never really 'got' was the delta between the performance version and the AWD. Its a 15.4K premium, and all it really comes with is faster 0-60 of about 1 second. It does say that the max speed is increased, but further in the configuration the max speed increase seems tied to the additional purchase of the performance kit including the larger wheels, brakes, etc.

They just announced that performance models will get free supercharging now (if ordered before Aug 1, or with a referral code until sept 16), so I began to reconsider my AWD to move to a P-AWD...but I'm not seeing the value. In fact, comparing the RWD to P-AWD and you are paying 20k+ to get AWD plus a few seconds faster 0-60 (and now supercharging).

Am I missing something? I'm already paying 5k more for AWD, and the P-AWD just includes better 'pairing' of the motors to ensure they can handle the higher loads the P version unleashes. I can still buy the white interior which used to be exclusive to P, so at this point I wont be upgrading (though I'm trying to find reasons to do it! :) )

2. darkenergy

darkenergy Member

On the Model S P versions the construction of the battery is improved. They use different alloys for the contactors, higher grade parts, etc so that the required current flow can be supported. Which may also be the case on the Model 3. They've already said that they are testing and picking better spec'd parts.

Or you could look at it like audio equipment. You pay exponentially more for a linear improvement in capability. :)

• Funny x 1
  3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It would definitely be helpful for Tesla to clarify "Additional upgrades, exclusive to Performance".

4. Ludatik

Ludatik Member

Unicorn tears are used in the paint for the underline on the Dual Motor badge...

• Funny x 3
  5. jkirkwood001

jkirkwood001 Member

Personally, I think it's "ludicrous" to pay so much more for 1 second add. Face it: 99% of our friends and family won't be more impressed (or notice the difference) with the P than the 4.5 second sprint of the AWD. They'll spend much more time on the other unique features of a Tesla they notice when you drive them around. And name me more times than you can count on one hand where you'll be thankful you have that extra second in your life to waste on something else? OK, sure, sure, with unlimited money, why not? But it's not worth an 83% premium over the base car IMHO - it's a 4-door sedan FCOL! ;)

BTW, what's with the early tester who claimed to do 0-60 in 3.2, but with 2 extra passengers?!? Surely if you were trying to set the P-AWD benchmark, you wouldn't put 10 sets of golf clubs in the trunk!?! Don't trust that time wasn't on a sloped surface, etc...

• Love x 1
  6. ba2002

ba2002 Member

Pretty sure he just didn't know what he was doing. Unfortunately his video got picked up by electrek.

7. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I think he used the video frames to calculate the 0-60 time.

8. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

It's the concept that some people will pay a LOT for some things that have very low useful purpose.

One may also say that this is the same marketplace that Apple caters to.

9. Tslrsx

Tslrsx Member

1 second Faster 0 to 60 is a huge deal when under the 4 sec Mark. Just watch other cars and their price differences

• Like x 1