Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance model 3 vs AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I never really 'got' was the delta between the performance version and the AWD. Its a 15.4K premium, and all it really comes with is faster 0-60 of about 1 second. It does say that the max speed is increased, but further in the configuration the max speed increase seems tied to the additional purchase of the performance kit including the larger wheels, brakes, etc.

They just announced that performance models will get free supercharging now (if ordered before Aug 1, or with a referral code until sept 16), so I began to reconsider my AWD to move to a P-AWD...but I'm not seeing the value. In fact, comparing the RWD to P-AWD and you are paying 20k+ to get AWD plus a few seconds faster 0-60 (and now supercharging).

Am I missing something? I'm already paying 5k more for AWD, and the P-AWD just includes better 'pairing' of the motors to ensure they can handle the higher loads the P version unleashes. I can still buy the white interior which used to be exclusive to P, so at this point I wont be upgrading (though I'm trying to find reasons to do it! :) )

On the Model S P versions the construction of the battery is improved. They use different alloys for the contactors, higher grade parts, etc so that the required current flow can be supported. Which may also be the case on the Model 3. They've already said that they are testing and picking better spec'd parts.

Or you could look at it like audio equipment. You pay exponentially more for a linear improvement in capability. :)

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
One thing I never really 'got' was the delta between the performance version and the AWD. Its a 15.4K premium, and all it really comes with is faster 0-60 of about 1 second. It does say that the max speed is increased, but further in the configuration the max speed increase seems tied to the additional purchase of the performance kit including the larger wheels, brakes, etc.

They just announced that performance models will get free supercharging now (if ordered before Aug 1, or with a referral code until sept 16), so I began to reconsider my AWD to move to a P-AWD...but I'm not seeing the value. In fact, comparing the RWD to P-AWD and you are paying 20k+ to get AWD plus a few seconds faster 0-60 (and now supercharging).

Am I missing something? I'm already paying 5k more for AWD, and the P-AWD just includes better 'pairing' of the motors to ensure they can handle the higher loads the P version unleashes. I can still buy the white interior which used to be exclusive to P, so at this point I wont be upgrading (though I'm trying to find reasons to do it! :) )

Personally, I think it's "ludicrous" to pay so much more for 1 second add. Face it: 99% of our friends and family won't be more impressed (or notice the difference) with the P than the 4.5 second sprint of the AWD. They'll spend much more time on the other unique features of a Tesla they notice when you drive them around. And name me more times than you can count on one hand where you'll be thankful you have that extra second in your life to waste on something else? OK, sure, sure, with unlimited money, why not? But it's not worth an 83% premium over the base car IMHO - it's a 4-door sedan FCOL! ;)

BTW, what's with the early tester who claimed to do 0-60 in 3.2, but with 2 extra passengers?!? Surely if you were trying to set the P-AWD benchmark, you wouldn't put 10 sets of golf clubs in the trunk!?! Don't trust that time wasn't on a sloped surface, etc...

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA