Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a little bit curious how much extra heat would be produced by the theoretical "Binned Drive Unit". If it was true, would it have a significant effect on the duration before heat soak? I am not very knowledgeable about electric motors, so don't really understand the real world effect of "Highest Sigma Output" Does that mean that 2 similar motors, one with a higher Sigma Output makes more power/less heat/smoother power? Any motor gurus know this answer?
Is it possible that some drive units get very much hotter in 5-10 vs 15-20 minutes, while still being in spec?
Yes I probably got one of those non binned motors in my P-.

Tonight I demoed my car to a friend who does autocross. Here's my results with 3 floored 0-50/60 runs.
IMG-2479.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-2479.JPG
    IMG-2479.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Yes you can even see from the picture that I am at the Los Gatos supercharger. That's exactly where 9 ends. But I don't drive fast there in the residential area. I do it more in the mountains where there is no one.

For now still on stock everything P3D- although I will be changing to MPP rotors, MPP coilovers when they're ready, and Titan 7 19" 9.5 wheels.

For me it happens after 5 minutes and I get 10 dots which makes the car slower than an RWD M3.

Very good point. I had not thought about it that way. Maybe that's why the stock brakes have not fried yet. I will be sure to use your advice when I get my MPP rotors since they will be able to take the extra heat. Don't know about the stock ones.

Then I wonder why they increase regen in Track Mode. The more reason to have these Track Mode features split apart for more a la carte control.

Yep, that's exactly it.

I go about the same speed as you. Do you have the P+?

Don't know what that is?
Man! You could really use PUP, especially now that it alone gets track mode!
Did you know it's free ? :) (Sorry, had to do that...)

Anyway, I hear you, and when I get 10 dots too I'll remember you, and commiserate.

Your post came across as present tense rather than future promises. Present tense, it's incorrect.
I can't say for sure, but I really think some folks provided evidence (2 or 3 in fact) that they got, or are going to get a $5K check.
Seriously, you just have to go backwards in this thread maybe 5-10 pages?
You are right not to put too much stock in Elon's promise, but that's definitely out there too - on his Twitter feed.

No they haven't. They have been told that they will, but they have not received it, at least not yet. (And it is possible, however slight, that they never will.)
Knowing Tesla, some got it, some will get it soon, some never.
A lot is arbitrary, and may even depend on location. Like whether the regional manager reads Elon's Tweets.
I do think the contributors to this thread who said "you have to ask" are correct - but even then they might just ignore you...

I've rooted (and still am rooting) for Tesla to succeed for over 8 years now. As a Day1 Model 3 reservation holder, on 9/11/18, I stepped into the ring and purchased (out-right) my M3 AWD. And seeing that the very exact same vehicle configuration today, costs $2000.00 less, it really feels like I got kicked and kneed, well, right in the teslacles...
I'm hopeful to see, whether or not Elon will do anything (any thing) for us earlier-adopters (and the M3P owners have more to grimace about) to help take the sting out of this latest strategic pricing cut. Perhaps, it's all just like stock prices? I'm all for increased shareholder value, a quality product at a fair price, and Tesla creating more jobs, but this latest pricing strategy sure feels like a low blow..
Time will tell.

Last edited:
I've rooted (and still am rooting) for Tesla to succeed for over 8 years now. As a Day1 reservation holder, on 9/11/18, I stepped into the ring and purchased (out-right) my M3 AWD. Seeing that the very exact same vehicle configuration today, costs $2000.00 less, it really feels like I got kicked and kneed, right in the teslacles...
I'm keeping my fingers crossed to see whether or not Elon will do anything (any thing) for us earlier-adopters to help take the sting out of this latest price slash. I'm all for shareholder value, a quality product, and Tesla creating more jobs, but this latest pricing strategy feels like a low blow..
AWD just dropped back to it's original pricing, It went up $1000, then up $1000 again then back down to it's original price point. performance never went up though, it just dropped 5k and made everone who ordered P3D- obsolete a week or two after their pickups

• Funny
Reactions: Msjulie and Roys3
Well, for you Stealh P3D owners, you don't have to deal with the terrible durability of the 20" tires. This just happened about 2 hours ago. Popped my right side tire sidewalls when I accidentally hit some traffic bumps at night, at the speed limit....(25 mph) entering a traffic circle. I definitely think the excessive damage was due to the 20" low profile tires

My wife was laughing at me the whole time....

46033162_10101999169081082_5644216407156588544_n.jpg

46115124_10101999169046152_1128591700285980672_o.jpg

46106982_10101999169066112_3782345266842042368_o.jpg

Called Tesla roadside assistance and other than the 2-4 minute short wait, I had someone walk me through the towing process and provide me an uber home (although the tow truck driver was nice enough to give me the lift home directly).

We'll see what the damage is tomorrow....since it was 2 tires, they had to take it to the service center directly rather than have a mobile ranger come out to swap.

Today as I was going to the gym at 9:30 pm (car being parked for 3 hours prior in 54 degree weather), I got 4 dots after only two launches. One from 0-50 mph and the second one on a highway on-ramp from 20-110 mph. In about the span of 2 min my car was performance limited. Then I took it easy on the highway and the dots did not go away until I stopped at the destination and waited for 2 min.

Now I know there is something definitely wrong here. I don't remember it doing this when I first got it.

Today as I was going to the gym at 9:30 pm (car being parked for 3 hours prior in 54 degree weather), I got 4 dots after only two launches. One from 0-50 mph and the second one on a highway on-ramp from 20-110 mph. In about the span of 2 min my car was performance limited. Then I took it easy on the highway and the dots did not go away until I stopped at the destination and waited for 2 min.

Now I know there is something definitely wrong here. I don't remember it doing this when I first got it.

This definitely doesn't sound right.

So I emailed Tesla from my account. I'm thinking Tesla is reserving the right to decide Elon's tweets are not binding. The "more information" could simply be "Elon promised something he couldn't deliver."

"Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Inc.

We currently don’t have additional information beyond Elon’s tweets. We will be providing more details regarding the refund and Supercharging change shortly, and can notify you at that time.

Also if you could please confirm what is the best email address for us to contact you, I'll make sure that one of my colleagues reaches out to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation."

• Helpful
Reactions: Roys3

maybe they didn't fill your battery coolant or there is an issue with the pimp. I thought Tesla was supposed to be monitoring this stuff...

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
Okay- stock market volatility then. Thanks. Sorry to hear your experience).
It still sucks, 2k is 2k is 2k. But are least if you ordered early you got the better price. I lost on the PUP and the white interior and they are still fixing delivery problems, there's no p3d- in my driveway. I can see now that they pressured me to take the second car because of the looming price drop. I would have been better off cancelling my order order and taking the $2500 hit to reorder. Then they would be stuck with a P3D- they would not be able to sell.

In fact I'm starting to think the vague Elon tweet was really strategically created so people would still accept any P3d- they had on order.