Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance v AWD is it worth £2000 difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a AWD 19” wheels, on order but now the difference between this and the performance is only about £2000 do people feel it is worth the difference? I have two main concerns; the difference in ride quality between the 19 and 20 and the lower ride height of the suspension, will that be a problem for UK roads and speed humps?

Well I would have liked to order the 19s but now that you mentioned it, this would then put me into making the same decision as you, I think Tesla have played it well to tempt people for their top offering.

I don't expect the roads to be a major problem but definitely need to be careful around pot holes and some speed humps can be harsh especially those on private land.

If you consider the cost of ownership over 5 years I think the LR would have the performance beat by a few thousand especially if you manage to damage one the 20 inch wheels.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I mentioned this in another thread but my first choice was LR AWD in White, Black Interior and 19" wheels, AP only.
After the price and colour changes the Performance M3 in White, Black Interior, AP only was £900 cheaper!!

Needless to say I made the change and have gone for the Performance version that was previously out of my price range :D

Despite driving mainly rural roads in Scotland, I have never damaged an alloy so will be keeping my fingers crossed that trend continues with the 20" wheels.

With the performance model the worry is extra servicing costs extra insurance costs extra expense of costlier tyres/brakes.Another concern is that perhaps the Government in their infinite wisdom later in years re classify the PERFORMANCE model and say charge extra road tax or something is payable.The insurance company may reclassify it or increase the insurance group....otherwise I would have gone for that ...just a niggle in my mind really

With the performance model the worry is extra servicing costs extra insurance costs extra expense of costlier tyres/brakes.Another concern is that perhaps the Government in their infinite wisdom later in years re classify the PERFORMANCE model and say charge extra road tax or something is payable.The insurance company may reclassify it or increase the insurance group....otherwise I would have gone for that ...just a niggle in my mind really

Servicing costs are no different for performance models.
Insurance will be a trivial amount more - someone mentioned they were quoted £80 a year more for a P
Brake discs/pads last forever on a Tesla so that will be a non-issue. The bigger brakes on the P will probably last even longer
Tyres potentially more expensive in 20"

At £2k it's a bargain upgrade for the performance alone, but ride quality and road noise will be worse for everyday use. I might get a set of 19" wheels later if the ride is too harsh, but reviews seem to suggest it isn't so bad although significantly more road noise on 20".

• Disagree
Reactions: RjbT3 and bjbrown
At £2k it's a bargain upgrade for the performance alone, but ride quality and road noise will be worse for everyday use. I might get a set of 19" wheels later if the ride is too harsh, but reviews seem to suggest it isn't so bad although significantly more road noise on 20".
I test drove the P+ on 20” wheels last Monday. Ok, I only drove for about 30 minutes, but it was on a variety of roads around Stockport including town and motorway. I thought the ride quality was fine, not harsh or bumpy at all. I was also pleased with the noise levels. Despite what I’ve read, wind noise wasn’t a problem, certainly on a par with the Kona, and much nicer to drive overall than any ICE car I’ve had.

Despite what I’ve read, wind noise wasn’t a problem

I think Model-3 is quite a lot more noisy than Model-S but as you say very quiet compared to ICE

Fully Charged video on Mercedes EQC and they couldn't even here the motor spinning up, which is quite a nice sort-of turbine-sound on Model-S ... but Model-S certainly not as quiet as EQC. However ... I'm not planning to buy an EQC :)

The quietness is a problem in some ways though. I have had new windscreen and rear quarter-light glass replaced (i.e. AutoGlass equivalent) and on both occasions the subsequent additional wind noise was noticeable such that the work had to be redone. If it had been ICE I probably would not have noticed the change, over the engine noise.

Fully Charged video on Mercedes EQC and they couldn't even here the motor spinning up, which is quite a nice sort-of turbine-sound on Model-S ...

I really like the subtle "turbo" like sound Model S and X make on hard accel and I presume M3 will be somewhat similar. Think Merc have got too carried away with making the motor totally silent. Jag went the other way with their fake engine noise!

I mentioned this in another thread but my first choice was LR AWD in White, Black Interior and 19" wheels, AP only.
After the price and colour changes the Performance M3 in White, Black Interior, AP only was £900 cheaper!!

Needless to say I made the change and have gone for the Performance version that was previously out of my price range :D

Despite driving mainly rural roads in Scotland, I have never damaged an alloy so will be keeping my fingers crossed that trend continues with the 20" wheels.

I have done exactly the same. Upgraded from black/black AWD LR to Black Performance with white interior (sat in a white Interior in Edinburgh and loved it). The price drop was just to good to ignore.

• Informative
Reactions: RjbT3
I have done exactly the same. Upgraded from black/black AWD LR to Black Performance with white interior (sat in a white Interior in Edinburgh and loved it). The price drop was just to good to ignore.

I think everyone should check out the white interior before ordering. It's awesome compared to the rather oppressive looking all-black. It's a lot easier to keep clean than you might expect too.

I think the worry over the 20” wheels is over played. On your commute you know where they are you just have to take it canny.

I tend to agree. Will be fitting Alloygators to protect from kerb rash though. I think the main disadvantage of 20" for everyday driving will be the increase in road noise and harsher ride. There are a few videos out there comparing road noise of 20" v 18" aero and it is quite significant. Obviously you notice it a lot more in a quiet EV.

I enjoy my music at significant levels so with “Born to Run” on loud I will not be worrying about the tyre noise. I agree that it will be louder though and not looking forward to the replacement cost of the tyres. Living up in Aberdeenshire 20” winter tyres will not be cheap. But 3.2 seconds 0-60 ! When did we ever think we would get a car that could do that and save 3 Tonnes of CO2 every year.

Reactions: MorayEVGuy
I think everyone should check out the white interior before ordering. It's awesome compared to the rather oppressive looking all-black. It's a lot easier to keep clean than you might expect too.

I believe that the interior fabric manufacturer of both colours is Ultrafabrics - The highest quality polyurethane fabrics on the market Not sure what exact product it is.

They are not entirely stain free though. some cases of them being stained by some every day items, such as a branded hat that would mark some fabrics under certain conditions, or some mens hair products or sun screen. Recommended cleaning approach in manufacturers website.

Personally, white needs to be kept pristine, where as leather of old discolours gracefully.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rooster6655
I have a AWD 19” wheels, on order but now the difference between this and the performance is only about £2000 do people feel it is worth the difference? I have two main concerns; the difference in ride quality between the 19 and 20 and the lower ride height of the suspension, will that be a problem for UK roads and speed humps?
If the P was the same price I wouldn't go for it.

According to US owners, the 19" wheels (and the 18") and normal suspension is quieter with a less harsh ride. Personally, I have owned Mercedes and BMSs with 20" alloys and never again. Fed up with popping tyres and bent alloys, not just the cost, but the hassle. No point having the larger brake callipers unless you are sold on the look of them (for non-track driving anyway). Road noise is also a factor, less fatiguing.

Plus, the Dual Motor LRAWD is still very, very quick.

I don't think it comes down to cost, I would opt for the LRAWD anyway but if cost is also an option, consider the cost of replacement wheels and tyres...

Reactions: Rooster6655
I believe that the interior fabric manufacturer of both colours is Ultrafabrics - The highest quality polyurethane fabrics on the market Not sure what exact product it is.

They are not entirely stain free though. some cases of them being stained by some every day items, such as a branded hat that would mark some fabrics under certain conditions, or some mens hair products or sun screen. Recommended cleaning approach in manufacturers website.

Personally, white needs to be kept pristine, where as leather of old discolours gracefully.

I've now got 25k miles on the ultra-white interior and it still looks like new. The most surprising thing has been how little effort it has taken to keep it clean. I just carry a pack of baby wipes (eco ones of course) and so far they have removed any dirty marks very easily. Of course I wouldn't expect it to work if I was carrying dogs around all the time, but we do have a couple of small kids which are nearly as bad!

Plus, the Dual Motor LRAWD is still very, very quick.

This is what it really comes down to. That might be enough performance for some, but the P is very, very, VERY quick for VERY little extra cost. There's no way I'm leaving that extra performance on the table for the sake of only £2k!

Ideally I would prefer the P- spec for everyday driving i.e. full motor performance with more road friendly wheels, but it's not going to be a huge problem swapping 20" for 19" wheels if the ride turns out to be a bit too harsh and noisy. Most reviews I've seen suggest the P+ is not actually too bad for ride quality, but 18" would be better for sure. 19" should be a reasonable compromise too.

This is what it really comes down to. That might be enough performance for some, but the P is very, very, VERY quick for VERY little extra cost. There's no way I'm leaving that extra performance on the table for the sake of only £2k!

Plus £2k for popped tyres and bent alloys

Ideally I would prefer the P- spec for everyday driving i.e. full motor performance with more road friendly wheels, but it's not going to be a huge problem swapping 20" for 19" wheels if the ride turns out to be a bit too harsh and noisy.

Plus £3 for a set of new alloys and tyres

;)

Actually, if performance is important, and 3.2sec vs. 4.4sec is way more acceleration than the 1.2sec difference suggests (in terms of power and the feeling of acceleration), then budgeting £5k for it (£2 car plus £3 new wheels and tyres) is still a steal at that price. Almost convinced me here!

But, I'll take the £5k and "waste" it on FSD! o_O

With the "new" news on this forum that the P- is actually more than just a software upgrade, plus the inevitable extended range without the 3.2sec power available (I wouldn't be able to help myself) I'm still preferring the LRAWD. I also heard that the full power for the 3.2sec 0-60 isn't always there immediately.

Reactions: Roy W.