Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance VIN on LR AWD question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a Y on order, but I'm actually asking this question for my boss. He's bought 6 other Teslas, and ordered a White/White LR AWD Y on day one last year. I found his VIN in the source code, and it starts with a 6. It has a performance VIN - I know that I saw this happening to people early on, but not sure if there was any resolution. His insurance will go up if they think it's a performance. Tesla has been HORRIBLE to him! They keep telling him that his car isn't even made yet (Vin was assigned weeks ago), and he hasn't received any of the texts. He called the other day and spoke to a very rude rep who told him that if he can't pick up his car whenever it comes, he is out of luck (he is planning on going to the beach in a week).

Any ideas on the VIN? I'm really shocked by the way Tesla treats customers, but of course I still want my Y!!

Call your local service or delivery center (Google it) and ask them. They'll probably be about 1,000x more helpful, at least that's what happened for me. Also, honestly nobody really does know what's going on at the factory, it's not like they can give you information they don't have.

??? All Tesla VINs start with 5YJ and I have no idea what this 6 is

VIN 8th Digit
Sorry - I didn't explain very well. His VIN is 5YJYxxxFxxx006904. The 8th digit/letter is F, which indicates a performance model. This happened to several other people before, especially those who got their cars before the shutdown. He's called locally and has had no luck. I'm more impatient about it than he is, to be honest!