Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs Dual Motor - highway speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the real-world runs, you'd also need the real-world 0-60 times for those runs which would change the #'s again. I just used the factory #'s which don't include rollout (whereas the drag time slips do).

FWIW, the real time 0-60s using Draggy (which does not include rollout) have been pretty spot-on with the factory #s for both cars (within hundreds of a second anyway)

They *approach* the same acceleration as speed increases, but it's wrong to say they are the same above 60mph. I think you'd still notice a difference up to 80-90mph.

I did say virtually the same, not totally identical... But I'd just about be willing to bet money someone who didn't know which car was which but was a passenger in each couldn't reliable tell the difference between a run that takes 8.263 seconds and one that takes 8.246 seconds, which appears to be the difference above 60 from the 1/4 mile data.

This is in contrast to the RWD, where the difference above 60 remains a lot more significant (about 4.93 mph per second for 60+ based on the [email protected] run)

What is interesting with the P-AWD is that the acceleration noticeably slows down when it reaches around 90mph but then increases again after around 100mph. I noticed this when test driving the car. It seems like Tesla is sandbagging the P3D so there is a gap between it and the P90DL and P100DL.

What is interesting with the P-AWD is that the acceleration noticeably slows down when it reaches around 90mph but then increases again after around 100mph. I noticed this when test driving the car. It seems like Tesla is sandbagging the P3D so there is a gap between it and the P90DL and P100DL.

You went over 100mph on your test drive?! My sales advisor gave me a whole speach about how she would like to live to see another day, so while the car is very exciting please follow all state and local laws and drive within my limits.
So I drove a bit more concervatively, walked away not that impressed, and ordered an AWD.

Given there's no transmission to shift gears I'd expect a 60-110 race to be identical to their 60-110 performance in the 1/4 mile was what I was saying.... (that is- virtually identical)

If there's some technical/mechanical reason there'd be a difference I'm more than open to it though.
I would generally agree, unless they soften the response just a little bit at any point, not just from launch.