Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs. Regular Dual Motor "real world" performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct, the Performance version doesn't deliver extra cornering performance/handling only due to the bigger wheels and lowered ride. The Michelin PS4S are a serious improvement, which is noticeable through the corners! One of the perks of a P version.

Real world will be hard to notice the difference unless you are pushing the pedal to the floor from a stop light. Your question sounds like you are concerned with the accelerator pedal calibration curve. (I.e. how much power vs. how much pedal).

All other benefits will be apparent at the track. Again, occurring when you are pushing it hard.

Is a P that much different in the real world? No. Do I still wish I purchased the P instead of the dual motor long range? Yes

First claim in video "there's people on the forums saying the DM AWD is nipping at the heels of the Performance 0-60"

... AFAIK literally nobody is saying that.

What they're saying it they're incredibly close after 60

Which appeared to be supported by the 1/4 mile data we have, where the difference between them AT 60 is nearly identical to the difference at 110+ and the trap speeds are likewise very close.

Contrast this with the RWD LR, where the difference between it and AWD at 60 continues to get significantly bigger from 60 to end of track, and the trap speed difference is huge.

The video does finally manage be useful in confirming the same thing in the from-70 rolls where the P actually lost both races (though as the video mentions it has a heavier driver and there's always the "reaction time" concern with this type of test)

Yeah looks great but it just screams ticket me!
Eh. I don't have red. It is far more subtle than that outside of full daylight conditions. Near dusk this weekend, on I10 coming back from watching the Big Bend Open Road Race, I had a State Trooper so bored and/or eager to take a closer look that he drove through the ditch to chat with me.

I wasn't even, allegedly, 10% over the limit and I'd been passed periodically prior more than a couple times in the last 1/2 hour. He even went out front to take a good look at the front view....oh, and said nothing about the lack of a license plate.

So I think the shape is just going to grab attention anyway, on visuals.

Hello all,

Looking to get a Model 3 in the near future. Test drove the Performance Model 3 over the weekend and loved it. How big of a difference is there between this and the regular Dual Motor during regular driving (when you don't have the throttle down more than halfway)? Does the Performance model outperform the regular Dual Motor only when you're gunning it or does it feel faster in all scenarios?

Thank you.

If you can afford it definitely get the performance version. It pins the grin meter:p:p:p:p

Eh. I don't have red. It is far more subtle than that outside of full daylight conditions. Near dusk this weekend, on I10 coming back from watching the Big Bend Open Road Race, I had a State Trooper so bored and/or eager to take a closer look that he drove through the ditch to chat with me.

I wasn't even, allegedly, 10% over the limit and I'd been passed periodically prior more than a couple times in the last 1/2 hour. He even went out front to take a good look at the front view....oh, and said nothing about the lack of a license plate.

So I think the shape is just going to grab attention anyway, on visuals.

I've got a red one. One ticket. We'll just say it wasn't because my car is red. Officer actually let me off really easy. Definitely wanted to talk to me though. Probably because it's got a fast looking profile! :)

Hello all,

Looking to get a Model 3 in the near future. Test drove the Performance Model 3 over the weekend and loved it. How big of a difference is there between this and the regular Dual Motor during regular driving (when you don't have the throttle down more than halfway)? Does the Performance model outperform the regular Dual Motor only when you're gunning it or does it feel faster in all scenarios?

Thank you.

The other consideration and it's a big one is that an electric drive car has usable Street performance in a way that no ICE vehicle can ever offer. In other words a big powerful gasoline powered car at Full Throttle makes a ton of noise and draws a lot of attention. The Tesla does not and not only is the drivetrain dead silent but it never spins its tires either so in that sense the performance differences between the dual motor and the dual motor performance version are not just academic, they're usable in the real world in a way that the performance difference between a Dodge Demon and a BMW M3 are mostly not

Last edited:
The other consideration and it's a big one is that an electric drive car has usable Street performance in a way that no ICE vehicle can ever offer. In other words a big powerful gasoline powered car at Full Throttle makes a ton of noise and draws a lot of attention. The Tesla does not and not only is the drivetrain dead silent but it never spins its tires either so in that sense the performance differences between the dual motor and the dual motor performance version are not just academic, they're usable in the real world in a way that the performance difference between a Dodge Demon and a BMW M3 are mostly not
Mostly the question is of utility. :) When I leave my neighborhood by the back entrance and turn onto the rather rural, 40mph, no-shoulder road I've heard told that, hypothetically, if I open it up and as I'm cresting a culvert rise (designed so the road floods either side of the culvert when it rains heavy) that is less than 200yd down the road I'm somewhere over 70mph, approaching 80mph depending on how well I launched the 90 degree turn from the stop sign. With the P I expect I'd be cresting somewhere above 80mph, maybe indistinguishable from 90mph?

What exactly is the utility of this extra jump? Doubly so considering about a 1/4 mile further there is an approach that the State Troopers favour for sitting on while having their radar gun out polishing it. :p

By the time you get to highway passing up beginning around 60mph the gap between the P and the D has started to close, and is difficult to differentiated by the time you're over 80mph. So it is the bottom end, jumping off the line up through 50-60mph where the P shines.

So it comes down to that next level of kick-in-the-pants sensation, and drag racing other cars from the red-turned-green when you're visiting an off road course in Mexico, where the "use" lays on the street. When you answer the question of whether or not this matters to you, and whether or not you intend to do something close approximating racing on private roads, you'll have the answer of whether or not the P matters to you.

I only have the dual motor and was toying with a dude in a brand new Maserati Ghibli the other day. He was much louder but my car was laughably quicker. That being said, I wish I had spent the extra few bucks on the P3D Stealth. Would be cool to be quicker than everything but a Performance S...

Reactions: Arctic_White
I only have the dual motor and was toying with a dude in a brand new Maserati Ghibli the other day. He was much louder but my car was laughably quicker. That being said, I wish I had spent the extra few bucks on the P3D Stealth. Would be cool to be quicker than everything but a Performance S...

eh, there's still a number of quicker ICE vehicles out there from a stop than the P3D, but they usually rely on perfect launches and generally come with 2-4x higher price tags to get there...for example:

List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia

33 non-Teslas with a 3.0 or quicker 0-60... (mostly Ferraris, Porsches, McLarens, Bugatis, Lambos, and a couple Mercedes/BMW entries- but also GT-R, Corvette, and SRT Demon)